setting down spikes

I assume you have to sand your floor down every so often? That seems like a lot of coats of paint on the floor.
And you paint over the tape spikes??
The configuration of our space makes the floor treatment a prominent feature of any set, so artistically it would be a big sacrifice to not paint it to suit every show. We do about six shows a ear, so you can do the math there. I only spot sand as needed. When the floor gets in too rough shape, we'll just replace the masonite (probably at the 6 year mark for the current floor due to some subfloor issues, hopefully longer in the future).

We don't paint over tape spikes (well, we try not to. . . sometimes they get missed at strike) because the floor gets painted before tech and cast isn't on stage until then.

Unless you have a ridiculously huge show, it is usually pretty easy to keep your spike marks within the tape colors. Also there are quite a few colors of spike tape, I know that we have 10+ colors. We usually spike everything in a given scene or setup the same color. There is no way that a chair would fit on a table's spikes or that someone would confuse the spikes for the giant piece of scenery upstage with the sofa downstage. This is also why you have rehearsals, so that the people moving the scenery and props know where it is actually going.

Sometimes we do make some kind of notation on the spikes themselves (in sharpie), but it has to be very simple and easy to read without bending over and squinting at it. This might be a scene number or something to that effect.

You also have to consider that you can't really use bright green spike tape on dark colored stage. You don't want your stage to look like an airport. In general you really should be picking colors that mostly blend in with the floor treatment but show up enough to place the scenery. Sure, nothing blends if your stage is black, but that is another story. I really hate going to shows where I could figure out where the scenery is supposed to go from half-way back in the house due to the obscene colors of spike marks.

Many times at our theatre the spike marks go down on stage before the painters finish the floor treatment. If they are about to paint something really dark they will cover the spikes before painting, but many times the final glaze step and sealer will just go on right over the spikes. This dulls them down and makes them blend more, which the scenic designers usually appreciate.

Consider also that you need only spike the upstage side of anything that needs spikes! This will limit the number of spikes you place and it will usually mask the ones that are in use. You don't need to mark all four legs of a chair or all four corners of a platform. It only takes three points to get any of those things aligned and one of those points never moves, it is the stage! So, don't use more spikes than you need. If you have a piece of scenery that moves in a track, you only need one spike where the operator can see it!

Think about how and where you spike, be logical about it. And don't use packing tape to reinforce them, that is just as bad if not worse than the spikes themselves. There is a great vinyl tape that works much better. If you have a planked deck or if your spikes span gaps, slit them with a knife in the gap and they won't peel up as easily! Remember, don't use obscene colors that stand out for them deck unless you have not other choice.

It's contest time in Texas and every competition venue looks like an airport!
Friday, I'll have 6 schools come in for rehearsal and they will all use massive amounts of spike tape. I'll try to get some pictures; it's pretty ridiculous...

An interesting addition to the competition: Each group is provided ONLY with two feet (24 inches) of 1/2" spike tape!
proxy.php

Pro-Gaff Cloth Spike Tape, 1/2" (aka Gaffer Tape)

For the SEARS Ontario Drama Festival there is also a limited amount of spike tape allowed. There are generally three shows each night (sometimes 4) and the rules allow you so much of ONE COLOUR of spike tape. There is also a 10-min setup (before the show, this does not count your 'tech time' during your technical rehearsal) and 5-min teardown, and 50-min time allowance between Cue 1 and the last cue.

Practice your changes, and only one colour of tape is required as long as you don't have a HUGE show.

Still looks like an airport if there are 4-or-5 shows with lots of set the same night.

We hosted the SCTA (I think those were the initials) Festival last semester. They had to bring their own spike tape, and if I remember correctly, they had to peel it up after their tech time, then put it back down before their actual performance. It was kinda weird. It was really only useful if you had a change during the show.

And if you can...try to always put some clear packing tape down over the spike tape to protect it from feet and scenery being dragged over it...it will also keep the tape from peeling up and give you an overall cleaner and neater appearance!

**shaking fist**:naughty: boo! I am not a fan of using packing tape on my stage!
the only tape allowed is gaff and glow tape (even some glow tape leaves a sticky residue or pulls off the paint).

The configuration of our space makes the floor treatment a prominent feature of any set, so artistically it would be a big sacrifice to not paint it to suit every show. We do about six shows a ear, so you can do the math there. I only spot sand as needed. When the floor gets in too rough shape, we'll just replace the masonite (probably at the 6 year mark for the current floor due to some subfloor issues, hopefully longer in the future).

We don't paint over tape spikes (well, we try not to. . . sometimes they get missed at strike) because the floor gets painted before tech and cast isn't on stage until then.

WOW... what are the dimensions for your space? That could get annoying to re-paint so frequently... not to mention the added expenses involved

WOW... what are the dimensions for your space? That could get annoying to re-paint so frequently... not to mention the added expenses involved

Well, we've got steep seating-- ~14" rise per row--so the floor becomes visually very prominent, and a plain black floor does not suit much of our programming. So as I said, it would be a huge design sacrifice to *not* paint for every show. That said, we usually have some amount of platforming that obscures part of the floor, so we rarely paint the *entire* floor, though at times it comes very close. We also run shows in quick succession, so it really is only one coat per show--we don't have to go back to black between shows, like some places do.

The fun part to all of this is that after striking the last show, I can see 5 different floor treatments, the oldest of which is from a show almost 2yrs ago (only a few square inches left). It's fun to reminisce. :)

It's contest time in Texas and every competition venue looks like an airport!
Friday, I'll have 6 schools come in for rehearsal and they will all use massive amounts of spike tape. I'll try to get some pictures; it's pretty ridiculous...

Thats why my students force the texanites into a competition where the first schools champion to pick up there tape wins a "stupid tech trophy" which usually something from in the shop like a board with a screw in it.:evil:

in our venue, we use almost no spike tape, we are just that good at drawing diagrams. also we paint our main stage before and after every show, unless we use black for the floor. Since we have band, and choir coming in to do performances they probably don't want a "dirt" road underneath their chairs or risers. our stage is something like 50' by 60' and is the basket ball court floor, with Masonite covering in the 20 years its been there it has not been replaced so our 1/4" Masonite is now something like 3/8". (some of our flats are a lot like it)

Thats why my students force the texanites into a competition where the first schools champion to pick up there tape wins a "stupid tech trophy" which usually something from in the shop like a board with a screw in it.:evil:
We've had venues try to force this "competition" on us. We're dressed for awards and politely decline. :)
I clean up my venue after we host; you clean up yours.

NO Packing tape, after a small run or a dance show its a major pain to get up, I recommend using Clear Dance floor tape, it covers well, holds down the spike, and pulls up well at strike...had one dance company cut shapes out of color paper for spikes for little kids, clear floor tape works really well...

Sean...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back