Setting up at a wedding: need help please?

Frost Lighting in NYC has a lot of great wireless and "kinda wireless" options. They have these cute little color maker uplights that you just plop out, and you can change the color by remote. You can do different zones per room which is very handy. They work well for 10-12' high ceilings. They have "book covers" that are used to mask the lights and give it a very clean look.

If you need something for higher ceilings they have color blasts mounted with wireless DMX receivers and and a single power supply per light, so you run power to each light, but then its wireless control, which can be helpful if you have a lot of outlets between doors.

Well, what I was planning on doing was renting from 4Wall, or a local lighting rental place. Is that necessarily 'kosher' in the industry?

Absolutely kosher, and not an uncommon practice really, as that's what they're there for. Just be sure to charge your client more than the rental house charges you ;).

Try to avoid running DMX through a ceiling grid. Most building codes require conduit even for low voltage, and I don't think they have a "temporary" clause. I don't think it's "inherently dangerous", but you wouldn't want to run your line near conduit carrying a lot of power, or over a hot recessed can. There's also the danger of dropping a bunch of insulation and junk which just makes it more trouble than its worth.

It's expensive, but you might want to look in to buying some rubber Wiremold. It's great for those high profile areas where people may step, but I wouldn't recommend it in a high traffic area such as a door way since it's still a trip hazard.

So: would renting a bunch of LED PARS be best for this sort of job? If so, how do I power them? I can't just rent a dimmer rack, right? How would I get power for it?

Yes, dimmer racks are available for rent. But if you get LED, you don't need dimmers. If you're renting lights, you should be able to rent data and power as well. If they're LED, you'll be able to run anywhere from 5 - 30 fixtures on one circuit. Say the spacing between lights is 10'. Get 10' ac cords, 10' data cords, and you'll need to buy some triple taps from the hardware store. Then just daisy chain both data and power. It's unlikely the rental house has MOX (multi-outlet extensions) for rent.

Also, what happens if I use non-DMX lights? Like a conventional source four? Then how do I control it with the lighting board if there are no stage pin connectors, no dimmer rack and no grid?

Some dimmers can run edison plugs. If you're using a dimmer rack, you'll probably have to use socapex cables, heavier, overkill, and likely more money to rent, too. I'd advise against it.

Additionally, would it be best to actually use an ETC Express lighting board for this sort of job? Or would it make more sense to rent something else? Is it at all practical to rent an ETC Express board for this job, if it's one of the only boards I feel comfortable with?

And lastly, last question -- suppose I wanted to do some lighting onto each individual table. You know, make all the tables orange at one point, then blue... what would be the neatest and most professional way to hang such fixtures? Would You have to rent an entire truss system, and hang them overhead? Or could you get away with a few pipe trees around the room and just focusing each fixture onto each table? My only concern then would be that the light would be hitting people as opposed to just coming straight down.

Thank you!

Pinspotting tables and how you rig depends on the ceiling. Is there points? Even so, no bride is going to want trussing strung all over the ceiling of her ballroom, which means you're goiing to need to swag the truss in a fabric that is flame retardant and color coordinates with the ceiling. Good luck with that. Your choices are mostly (but not exclusively) pipe and base, dazzlers (an extension screwed into the recessed lighting fixture with a drop down arm and a spot), or airwall hangers. However, a fixture that changes color means an led par, an ellipsoidal, a moving light, etc. Does the bride even have the budget for that? LED pars aren't great for a tight, focused beam. Ellipsoidals with color scrollers? Moving lights are the ideal, as they can be focused remotely, but they're $$. It also means truss, so you're back to that whole issue.

Not that you asked, but it sounds like you've been "hired" but there's no firm design in place and that you don't really have the experience to organize this. If that's true, either you're going to be disappointed in that you'll lose money on this project, or the bride will be because of your lack of experience.

Yes, dimmer racks are available for rent. But if you get LED, you don't need dimmers. If you're renting lights, you should be able to rent data and power as well. If they're LED, you'll be able to run anywhere from 5 - 30 fixtures on one circuit. Say the spacing between lights is 10'. Get 10' ac cords, 10' data cords, and you'll need to buy some triple taps from the hardware store. Then just daisy chain both data and power. It's unlikely the rental house has MOX (multi-outlet extensions) for rent.

Just FWIW, Im not terribly sure Frost here in Chicago has anything but tri tap molded Edison plugs... I mean, they probably do, but every cable i have touched with them has been a tri-tap on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back