Conventional Fixtures Sidelight recommendations (buy or rent)

I'm currently working with a school that has a gym 75' x 108', 35 ft high ceiling.
The stage goes 35 feet back from that, 13 ft ceiling above stage, no fly space

2 rows of fresnels above stage, Strand SL spots on back wall.
They do about 6 productions a year

I'd like to add (shutterable) sidelighting capability, ones that could be moved out of the way for other classes and happenings on stage

What would you recommend for the best bang for the buck, features and reliability, to give some decent capability?

Fav sources for those if we decide to buy? If so I want to make a good recommendation for them that they'd be happy with.

Thanks

If you are just looking for ERS units I would go with either ETC Source 4s, Strand SLs, or Selecon Pacifics. You would have to pick which field angles you need, but those should give the best "bang for your buck" as it were.

If you hang the instruments on a boom with casters and wagon brakes you can move them in and out for events. A boom will also allow you to change the kind of side light you are using from Low/Mid/High.

If the stage space is used for many events besides theatre you should stay as flexible as you can. Also consider storage. Once the units are off the stage where are they going to go?

The final question is what do you want to accomplish with the units? If they exist only for wash light, a PAR or Fresnel with a barn door will take care of it at a reduced cost from a ERS. If you want a lot of control (and what LD isn't a control freak) and the ability to use Templates go with the ERS.

Now ask yourself what features does the ERS need?

Hmmmm I may have posed more questions for you than answers. I hope it helps you narrow down what you're looking for.

Our sides are ETC S4 PAR EAs hanging on Altman 262 lighting ladders at the bottom of Cranky Poles. Maybe something similar would be part of your solution.

proxy.php

proxy.php

When it comes to "bang for the buck" it's hard to beat ETC Source Four Jr.'s They can only use a 575 lamp, no barrel rotation, use a smaller gobo... a few other limitations but they are nice little instruments. Under $200 for a fixed lens or about $250 for a zoom.

You asked about dealers. Where are you? Establishing a relationship with a local or regional dealer is always the best idea. If not there are national and online options. However the local person is the one who can save your butt on Saturday afternoon... so having a relationship with them is always the best idea. Let us know where you are at and I'm sure someone can suggest a dealer in your area.

I agree with Gafftaper. I would recommend the S4 Jr. Zoom. If you need to cover a wide stage, a PAR or a Fresnel won't give you as much control or punch at distance as an ERS, and these instruments are very compact and relatively lightweight. Don't worry so much about templates. I can't imagine many needs for such features from the side in so lightly equipped a performance space. Templates would have much more impact as toplight, or even from out front.

bmiller, I've seen both high, mid, and shin sidelight use templates. I do agree with you that it wouldn't be the #1 concern for the OP's space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back