Small Fire Breaks Out at Rihanna Concert

venuetech

Departed Member
Small Fire Breaks Out at Rihanna Concert
BY MIKE FLEEMAN

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Rihanna: Fire Breaks Out at Concert : People.com

A Rihanna show got a little too hot in Dallas.

A small fire broke out in the lighting trusses Friday night while she was singing "California King Bed," showering sparks and burning debris onto the stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Rihanna concert ends early in Dallas due to fire - CNN.com :
CNN affiliate KTVT, citing attendees at the concert, said the fire apparently started from pyrotechnics that were part of the show.

Dallas Fire-Rescue Captain Johnny Bates said a chair caught on fire, KTVT reported.
If it was a spot chair (the only reason I know for a chair being on a truss), what happened to the operator? Truss spot ops don't normally have portable fire extinguishers, but perhaps they should.

I love the ML that kind of just does some random things up there... Also interesting, no one seemed terribly concerned... Further, what was burning for that long? I would assume a pyro thing would go off and thats it, not burn for that long and that large?

I love the ML that kind of just does some random things up there...

It was nervous and was trying to run away...but its "cord didn't have any slack, so it couldn't move".

I'll see if anyone gets the joke...

I love the ML that kind of just does some random things up there... Also interesting, no one seemed terribly concerned... Further, what was burning for that long? I would assume a pyro thing would go off and thats it, not burn for that long and that large?

I bet the DMX line to that ML got caught in the fire and the mover started doing it's own thing.

I'm curious about this mysterious electricity to fire converter you have, where can I get one and how does it work?

Actually thats sort of/kind of what an arc welder is, except the fuel is not the electricity... Same with a laser. At any rate, it was probably a large hunk of plastic or possibly an unfortunate stagehand's jacket?

I see what Pie is getting at though. It looks like the power for the rig had been killed for some time, but that's not gonna stop that giant whatever from burning.

O/T, but the AA Center must have some rapid start ballasts or something, because those arena lights come on quick at 0:34!

Last edited:
I see what Pie is getting at though. It looks like the power for the rig had been killed for some time, but that's not gonna stop that giant whatever from burning.

O/T, but the AA Center must have some rapid start ballasts or something, because those arena lights come on quick!

Looked like the LED screens that usually advertise beer and show fireworks and bunting during national anthems made the big flare.

IMHO, that whole incident was handled poorly by the stadium staff. The house lights should have come on quicker and instructions given to the audience MUCH sooner. When something like that happens, the audience is just looking for information, guidance, and especially reassurance. Without that, you may be looking at a stampede for the doors.

During productions that I do, we have a microphone in the booth plugged into the last channel on our board "just in case". If it hits the fan, we can immediately communicate with the audience. Maybe more productions should do the same.

Also, I found pretty good video of the incident here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

YouTube - ‪Rihanna stage sets on fire BEST VIEW & (GAY) COMMENTARY‬‏

Last edited by a moderator:
...During productions that I do, we have a microphone in the booth plugged into the last channel on our board "just in case". If it hits the fan, we can immediately communicate with the audience. Maybe more productions should do the same...‬‏

I also do the same thing now. Some years ago during a show we had someone pull the fire alarm by accident. No one in the audience moved! They just sat and waited while someone came and reset the alarm. Luckily it was a false alarm. Had it been a real fire, I would have needed to announce to the audience to calmly leave the auditorium. Since then I've always had a mic in the booth ready to go.

Pretty scary flaming debris coming off of whatever that was, but, thankfully, whatever was underneath it (can't really tell) stood up fine.

I'd agree with DrPinto on the announcement issue, but at the same time you never wan't to go over the PA to an audience of tens of thousands of people in a confined space without being entirely sure you aren't about to make the situation worse. The phrasing and tone-of-voice are probably more important than the words themselves, so jumping on the PA before being sure of what you're going to say wouldn't be at all advisable. A calm, cool, and collected announcement that calms the audience's jitters and keeps things under control is what to aim for, no matter whether it's a "minor" electrical fire or a major life-threatening emergency.

Last edited:
...I'd agree with DrPinto on the announcement issue, but at the same time you never wan't to go over the PA to an audience of tens of thousands of people in a confined space without being entirely sure you aren't about to make the situation worse. The phrasing and tone-of-voice are more probably more important than the words themselves.

I've given that a lot of thought. You definitely wouldn't want to say "Fire!!! Everyone leave now!!!". More people would be injured or killed because of trampling than the fire. It would be very important to speak calmly, slowly, clearly, and reinforce the need to remain calm.

What do you think about raising the house lights? Should you first make the announcement before turning the lights on? I'm concerned that if you raised the house lights first, people would start running for the door.

What do you think about raising the house lights? Should you first make the announcement before turning the lights on? I'm concerned that if you raised the house lights first, people would start running for the door.

I'n my opinion, while they may not like it, I'd leave them in the dark. When lights come up, it doesn't matter what for, people start standing up to leave - and talking, texting, updating their Facebook status. Until we know what is going on, and what everyone is doing, they can sit and wait.

And just thinking "aloud", while being in the dark may hint to something being wrong, the houselights coming up mid-scene or at a point where you just "know" that it isn't intermission is more horrifying then waiting.

(Oh, I like the commentary in the video DrPinto linked to! From the comments: )
"Don't they have a fire extinguisher?"
" even if they did, how the hell would they get up there?"
"there were at least 5 crew members up there the whole time, feet away from the fire. but NO1 had a fire extinguisher. it took 3 minutes for them to get one up to them"
Have fun!

Last edited:
I'n my opinion, while they may not like it, I'd leave them in the dark. When lights come up, it doesn't matter what for, people start standing up to leave - and talking, texting, updating their Facebook status. Until we know what is going on, and what everyone is doing, they can sit and wait.

And just thinking "aloud", while being in the dark may hint to something being wrong, the houselights coming up mid-scene or at a point where you just "know" that it isn't intermission is more horrifying then waiting.

(Oh, I like the commentary in the video DrPinto linked to! From the comments: )

Have fun!

Actually 3 minutes is a pretty good response time to get a fire extinguisher onto a truss, its faster than the police or fire department here by a significant factor... I did notice a lot of hands on stage wandering around looking up like "well, nothing is going to get spread to by the fire, so its kind of contained... Well, we need to put that out... Look at the pretty fire!" type of look on them. I also loved the "it is going to burn thru all those wires! The whole thing will fall!" Is that a significant risk in this type of situation?

The power was NOT killed if SEVERAL MLs began doing whatever they wanted... even if the DMX was caught in the fire, that wouldn't somehow power the lights that went AWOL on SR.

Also, I applaud the crew for how quickly they got the arena lights on, considering that someone was probably not sitting next to the switch.

I think 3 minutes is an incredible response time to get an extinguisher as well!!! If we had the same problem, we would need to wait for someone to find a winch key, and would have to slowly winch the electric down to the stage (which takes 1.5-2 mins)... total time 4-5mins+

PLSN-Rihanna Concert Fire PLSN by Debi Moen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back