Smart Bulbs on Wifi operated on ION

It's going to take some sort of bridging device. Smart bulbs use a different, often proprietary, protocol. So something would have to convert the DMX, sACN, Art-Net, UDP, OSC, or other supported signal produced by the Ion and rebroadcast the WiFi signal the Smart bulb wants.

If it has to be a Smart bulb then you're probably looking somewhere in the DIY smart home community or architectural lighting systems for a solution, depending on the budget. If it can be any RGB LED in something that looks like a bulb there are more readily available wireless options for controlling LED pixels.

as @sk8rsdad suggested, t here are lots of DIY projects out there to do IoT control of home smart devices. You might be able to cobble together something which receives a UDP string or an OSC message and sends it out over wifi.

as @sk8rsdad suggested, t here are lots of DIY projects out there to do IoT control of home smart devices. You might be able to cobble together something which receives a UDP string or an OSC message and sends it out over wifi.
Or, for that matter, receives old-fashioned hardwired DMX and sends that out...

I suspect most smart bulb protocols have a lower update speed and greater latency than DMX512, at least in a practical sense. It's proably perfectly acceptable for things like fading in or out house lights, but getting a blackout synchronized closely with theatrical lights or flashes on music beats may be a pretty tall ask. I could be all wrong about that, too.

Yeah, you could do something with DMX, but you have to decode that continuously to find out what, if anything, has changed, whereas you only get a udp or osc message when something does need to change, or at least that's how I'd arrange it. You're probably right about latency/refresh rates, too.

If it's for performances then I would avoid using a smart bulb. If it's for something else then one magic combination is OSC to MQTT and something like HomeAssistant to convert that to some of the more common smart bulb protocols.

I've seen the NYX bulbs in action recently. They are definitely the "right" solution, if you have the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back