Smartfade hate

Also, if anyone has any questions about the SFML right now, I'm sitting in the garage programming for my gig this weekend on the Entours (borrowed from my employer 'cause it's a benefit gig) and I can answer direct questions about the board as to the ML capabilities.

How do the palettes work if there is no touch screen?

Mike

How do the palettes work if there is no touch screen?

Mike

Here's how to get to palettes - select fixtures (or use the fixture groups to select), then hit the button for which kind of palette you want (focus, color, beam). You instantly have 24 palettes of that type accessible. And for CMY and RGB fixtures, it pre-mixes color palettes for you, so you're ready to go. You can, of course, record over these. However, I find that the pre-mixed palettes are pretty darn good for the RGB LED fixtures you'll often find in clubs and small stages. Sometimes the amber/yellow range needs tweaking. The other thing is that for those 24 pre-mixed color palettes, the RGB LEDs behind each of the palette buttons go to the color that it's mixed to.

Also, on that note, when you set a CMY or RGB fixture to one of these palettes, the fixture select button changes to that color when you're in Device Select mode, so you can easily see what fixtures are at what color and select them or their group to change color.

A bit more information than you asked for, but I felt it was necessary.

So the fixture select keys become the palette keys?

Mike

Sorry for taking so long to get back to ya, I finally started programming songs on a band by band basis...I can get a bit carried away with that.

Yes, the fixture select keys become palette keys. The buttons have a nice response to them, and it's really quite intuitive once you do it a bit.

The same set of buttons also become effect buttons. The thing that's really good for a console of this price is that it actually has shape tables.

Basically, a lot of the complaints that I hear about the board are "baaaaaah, it doesn't think like any other ETC board so I'm dead in the water!!!". What you should think is "Well ****, for the price, that's a powerful board. Knocks everything else in that class out of the water."

EXACTLY!!!!! For its price there is no argument. When you consider that it costs LESS than the price of an LP624, and will do TONS more than that board, its an obvious choice, for THEATRE. Community, store fronts, hole-in-the-walls. Clearly its not a board meant for TSO or Broadway, but such a board would be a huge upgrade to the tiny theatres of this word. Anyone that can make the choice between a board with wall dimmers on it and an actual board has there choice made, IMHO.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to ya, I finally started programming songs on a band by band basis...I can get a bit carried away with that.

Yes, the fixture select keys become palette keys. The buttons have a nice response to them, and it's really quite intuitive once you do it a bit.

The same set of buttons also become effect buttons. The thing that's really good for a console of this price is that it actually has shape tables.

Wow, that sucks.

Mike

EXACTLY!!!!! For its price there is no argument. When you consider that it costs LESS than the price of an LP624, and will do TONS more than that board, its an obvious choice, for THEATRE. Community, store fronts, hole-in-the-walls. Clearly its not a board meant for TSO or Broadway, but such a board would be a huge upgrade to the tiny theatres of this word. Anyone that can make the choice between a board with wall dimmers on it and an actual board has there choice made, IMHO.

I dunno, I think I might do what I did with my last client, tell them to get a computer board for a couple of hundred dollars and save up for something in the palette/Ion/Hog range.

Mike

In that post I was simply implying there was self contradicting sentiments in gafftaper's post.

Hey Xander You misunderstood me.

Because those of us who are happy with it using it for its intended purpose (not places where you're using a theatre stack, but for small, busked productions) are quietly using it happily.

I was saying I agree with Soundlight's statement above that Smartfade (Especially the ML) is great for busking on a budget in the small club and DJ world. However, I disagreed with his saying that is it's "intended purpose". I've been told by several ETC reps as part of their sales pitch that it's also perfect for churches, schools, and small theaters.

I then went on to explain why I think it's inappropriate for and "hated" by many in the theater world.

One last point to throw out about use in educational theater. It's a huge missed educational oportunity. Students using this board in school are missing out on the chance to learn a console that relates to the real world. The beauty of the old ETC line was all those kids learning Express in high school had a quick easy transition to being able to use an Obsession someday.

In that case, Esoteric, I would recommend an Enttec USB-DMX interface and the Chamsys MagicQ software, and later a PC wing or full console. So much like the HogII, but better, it's scary.:)

I downloaded MagicQ the other day and WOW, I just picked it up and went right to work. Of course I broke my teeth on the Hog line. I am waiting for my Enttec USB Pro in the mail. :) If it works like I think it will it will become my go to system for churches/small theaters that do not have the money yet for a full console.

I used to go the software route for clubs/DJs, but I think I will see about getting some time on a Smartfade and see if it would better fit that market, but I can't see myself in good conscience recommending it to churches or theaters at this point.

Mike

Hey Xander You misunderstood me.

I was saying I agree with Soundlight's statement above that Smartfade (Especially the ML) is great for busking on a budget in the small club and DJ world. However, I disagreed with his saying that is it's "intended purpose". I've been told by several ETC reps as part of their sales pitch that it's also perfect for churches, schools, and small theaters.

I then went on to explain why I think it's inappropriate for and "hated" by many in the theater world.

One last point to throw out about use in educational theater. It's a huge missed educational oportunity. Students using this board in school are missing out on the chance to learn a console that relates to the real world. The beauty of the old ETC line was all those kids learning Express in high school had a quick easy transition to being able to use an Obsession someday.

Yeah Gafftaper, I remember after spending time on an Expression getting behind an Obsession for the first time and going right to work. If I could get past the quirky syntax I could also get right behind a Strand console and go to work.

Just like I could go from the Hog 500 to the Whole Hog and Hog II, etc.

The only console I feel I wasted my time in learning was the StatusQ (we learned on the LCD consoles, but I actually used those out in the real world for a bit).

Mike

Bump
I just had to use a Smartfade (non moving light) for a Community Theater show I designed for. At the theater I work at we have an Expression 3 (using it as I type). I've been using it for almost 2 years, and can do most things in my sleep. It took me almost 3 hours to program for a show that ran less then an hour. But in its defense I did write 42 cues.

Walking up to the board, I instantly knew how to bring up channels and make submasters (called memories). I had to go to the manual to figure out how to write cues (stacks). I am so glad that I found out about the SmartSoft software, with out it cue writing would of been hell. I'm sure I was doing something wrong, but whenever I wrote a cue it set the fade time to 45 seconds, which I could go and change on my laptop.

I decided to change the 1:1 patch to something that made sense to me. The SmartSoft software did have a tab for patching, but I couldnt figure out how to work it. Patching on the board was basically what I expected without a keypad. I did really like the Live Patch mode. That way you can see what dimmer you are bringing up and what you are patching it into.

Perhaps to the novice lighting volunteer at his school, church, or community theatre the SmartFade is an appropriate choice. For those too entrenched or pig-headed in their ways, perhaps not.

This is really true. I bet if this was the first board I learnt how to use I would love it. But I really didnt have the time or the patience to learn the language. The SmartSoft software made it easier but not amazing. There are a few glitches that need to be fixed.

I just wrote a review on my blog. http://wbrown.squarespace.com/blog/2009/3/9/etc-smartfade-and-smartsoft-review.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back