Sneak Peek :)

Whoops, sorry about that, I am usually a huge grammar nazi, I can't believe I missed that. It was 3am when I posted this though, I don't think my brain was functioning all that well.

You are also correct! That SmartPack is a SmartSwitch with 20, 20amp relays. They are being used to supply and control power to the HMI House Lights and the LED's, All of the acoustical panels you see in the first photo on the left and right walls are all backlit by architectural RGBW LED units. The relays turn them on and off, as well as the HMI lamps in the house lights (The incandescents are dimmer controlled.) All movers in the future will be powered by the 400 amp CAM-LOK panel on the back wall. While touring sound power will be provided by the 200 amp panel with Isolated Ground.

The Reason we have 3 Sensor+ racks and not two is, this first SR24 rack is the rack for our smaller theatre which I didn't post pictures of yet, it has 48 dimmers. The other two racks are the dimmers for the big theatre which has 144 Dimmers. The breaker panel is a good 12 inches away from the Sensor Rack so yes the door opens all the way.

The new lighting console is an ETC Ion with a 2x10 fader wing and one monitor. The entire theatre is wired with ETCNet3, no DMX at all, we have 6 Touring ETC Nodes for DMX where we need it and the lighting network has plugs all over the place including 2 for each electric and everything is POE.

Huge props to Chris Souza and Kathleen Maynard from ALPS in Randolph, MA for helping consult on this job and getting us probably THE most technologically advanced High School Theatre's in the country.

Oh my, LED wall washes. My school has 50 or so Colorblast 12's on the walls - and for all practical high school purposes they are useless - so if I'm doing my math correctly (it should be; I used google) thats about $40,000 - FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS - that could have been used elsewhere. (Granted, you can make some really cool effects in the house)
ooh they also used RGB ceiling cans for two alcoves that the manufacturer was selling knowing that they were defective and would be useless right out of the box. Not just these particular ones, but every single one manufactured. I dont remember the specifics, but it has something to do with the DMX resetting every time you turn them off. You can get them set up correctly, but then they would have to stay on all the time. So they're just a harsh pink color now.

Aaaaanyway. How much wing/backstage space is there?
Also, I couldn't tell; Is there a partitioned booth so sound can have their own world?

It's ok guys. Believe it or not, one day, high school will be over!
oh it will. 18 more (school) days...

Is that a spiral staircase in the OP wing?

Congrats. It looks like a well-planned and intimate space. Hopefully the district puts as much thought into long-term vision and maintenance/care instead of dropping all support like a lot of districts seem to be in the habit of doing.

Ok, seriously? Who installs patch panels in a rack with a door? And what is up with that 18" mult jumper? That one SR24 rack is awfully close to the breaker panel. That looks like it's cutting working clearence to the bone. :shock:

Very nice theater! I am a bit jealous myself!

The patch panel will be rarely used, most of the patches are normalized with the plug below it and line up with a channel on the board so patch cables are not usually necessary unless you're gonna get crazy. The 18" Multi is the way we switch from our "Mid-House" mix position to our booth mix position. The board itself has a multi with the same connector and 60 something XLR's on it which travels with the board, when we want to move the board we plug the multi into one of those plugs mounted in the floor. There is one in the booth and one mid-house. Then there is another one on the center of the back wall of the stage which is used for our 48 channel Stage snake. The Sensor racks door is NOT very close to that panel....it's an optical illusion do to the angle of the picture, they are actually about 12" apart, there is no issues opening the door.

Hopefully that door is coming off soon! How's it look on the non-ETCNet networking front? Any Cat5 tie-ins around?

The whole school has ethernet internet jacks all over the place, at least one in every room if not more.

Is that a spiral staircase in the OP wing?

Yea, thats our staircase access to get us to our mid-rail and loading rail, access to the FOH Catwalk is also from the mid-rail. It is really huge..I wish it was a bit smaller but for some reason it had to be that big due to ADA regulations. It's about 6ft in diameter, kind of ridiculous.

Hmmm...seeing as I live so close, I'd love to come take a look at this piece of art....:mrgreen:

What do you think?

*jealousy*

Not to pick on you, here's my little grammar patrol. Jealousy is when you have something that others want and don't want to share. Envy is when someone else has something that you want. </rant>

I'm glad to see some districts still sinking money into their arts program. Some schools are not only cutting their arts budgets, but also their science labs. Insane.

I wonder how long it will be until the students at the school are complaining about the equipment. "man we only have. . ."

If those are the same seats we have in our theatre like they look like they are, there are wide seats and skinny seats. Once you notice it it will probably bother you, but the wider ones are slightly more comfortable.

Well, tomorrow is the day they hand over the building to us. Unfortunately we have a huge production this week in the old school and we wont actually be getting over there till next week :) I'm super excited.

Well, tomorrow is the day they hand over the building to us. Unfortunately we have a huge production this week in the old school and we wont actually be getting over there till next week :) I'm super excited.

Can you put pictures up of the finished facility?

Great to see that you can get a new theatre. The one at the school I'm going to next year gets remodelled come summer; hope it turns out good.

Amazing, Simply amazing : ) Wish our district had the money to do something like this. But hey, at least we are getting some upgrades this summer.

Hey Sony, what are the three orange lights to the left and right of the proscenium in that first photo?

That is a good question...I have not myself figured it out yet, I fear that they are safety lights that cannot be turned off. We'll find out in July when ALPS comes in and gives us training on the lighting system.

If those are the same seats we have in our theatre like they look like they are, there are wide seats and skinny seats. Once you notice it it will probably bother you, but the wider ones are slightly more comfortable.
Most theatres have "wide seats and skinny seats". It's the only way to stagger seats so you're not looking at the head in front of you and still keep the aisles a consistent width. It's not that noticeable to the eye, but when you start replacing seats or seat backs, you notice quickly!

Most theatres have "wide seats and skinny seats". It's the only way to stagger seats so you're not looking at the head in front of you and still keep the aisles a consistent width. It's not that noticeable to the eye, but when you start replacing seats or seat backs, you notice quickly!

Ain't that the truth. We rented a boom lift which we were assured would go down the aisles, but of course, didn't. So, there's the task of taking off a seat on the end of every freaking row. I'm glad that the rest of my crew realized this and organized things accordingly... I'm also glad that they thought of the row letters when they were putting the seats back in... I know for a fact that I would have overlooked that.

Any new pictures of the new space?

Unfortunately they still have not officially turned over the keys to the building. It's being delayed until sometime next month. Trust me....the second we get access there will be lots of information flooding this site. Right now we are just working on packing up the old space and getting ready to move. One thing I will say is our inventory of fixtures is exploding out of control. We are going from a total of ~120 fixtures to over 430 fixtures. Once we make the full Tech Spec sheet public you'll get more info, trust me it's impressive at around 7 pages of equipment lists. :)

I am very impressed and waiting to see the specs of th new space

Users who are viewing this thread

Back