Snow Problem

Irish

My Company is currently using the Citc 'Little Blizzard' for a snow effect. The Effect looks great. The problem we have had is that while the machines are running the Actors on stage are complaining of coughing, and difficulty breathing.
We of course checked the MSDS for the snow juice before we decided to go with the machines in preproduction and there is nothing in it to answer why this may be happening. Has anyone used these machines before, and was there a similar issue?

Thanks In advance

Sounds like the problem is primarily psychological. Though snow does 'change things up a bit' when it comes to breathing, it shouldn't cause any significant problems.

The same thing happens with fog and haze.

When they come in one day, announce that you've switched from the regular snow juice to the hypoallergenic snow juice? Naturally, don't actually change anything. ;)

I've used three Le Maitre "True North" machines in a pretty small space with no problems--well aside from the sound of three frickin' jet engines in the grid, but with the exception of the sound designer, we just learned to live with that.

So just to follow up on how this all worked out. According to CITC the basic snow fluid is not recommended for indoor use. If you are going to run one of these indoors you should go for the extra dry version of the fluid. This of course costs more, but you didn't see that coming did you?

There is nothing in any of the manuals that we received upon renting the machines or were able to go find on our own after we started having problems that told us this. Only after speaking to CITC directly were we able to figure out what the issue was. Long story short the effect has been cut. Anybody want to buy some snow juice?

Well that stinks. Now that you mention it, we looked at CITC machines and were advised about the regular versus extra dry fluids, but this was only represented as a physical safety issue, since we had a lot of dancing in the show--no one said anything about any other potential issues with indoor use.

I would agree with ajb. Think that extra dry fluid is probably more for faster drying so you don't have as much of a layer of soap on the ground. We use 4 Le Matre (Ultratec now i guess) Silent Storm units and we turn them up as high as we can get them. Even with some pretty technical skating going on beneath the units we have no problems with people breathing. We just get lots of complains from audience members getting soap in their hair and the ice department cause of all the suds in the zamboni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back