Snow?

For the snow size, I'm talking about fake dry snow that is used for accenting the sets and lobby, in addition to the snow machines. As for the clean up, I'm looking at the machines where the snow evaporates when it hits the ground.

Re: Snow

The LeMaitre's are absolutely bad-@$$! If you can, get some!

I know the Kravis Center in Florida routinely "snows" on the audience during productions of The Nutcracker. The snow does not stain clothing, and (from what I remember) leaves just about no residue (if it did, they wouldn't have it erupt over the entire house). I'd look into that, if you can find any info on it.

Later in the year my AP Chem teacher keeps telling us he is going to make it snow purple iodine (at least i think that is the chemical he said) I dont know how exactly he is going to do it, or if something could be chemically tweaked to make it white, I'll try to remember to tell you guys about it when he actually does it. (hopefully he's not exadgerating again! :) )

That is totally different, it basically is a contact unstable explosive
it is a classic wow the class ap chem experiment

http://www.instructables.com/id/E5YK8KLTDKEQOEX3CK/?ALLSTEPS

Sharyn

If it were me, I would NOT use a snow machine. They aren't quiet, they are messy, you have to mop up after every time you use it...

Just Say No.

Your right they are not quiet. But your wrong about the messy part. Older machines do leave an slippery residu, but newer ones do not. The liquid evaporates before it lands thus no mess. Belive me i know i own 4 units and use them all the time.

JH

We just took a cardboard tube about 6 inches wide, maybe more, drilled holes in it. we ran a dowel or pile through the tube and hooked that up to a batten. Then we put a 2x4 on the end, horizontal to the stage, which we fastened a rope to, so that by just pulling on the rope from offstage, the tube would rotate and therefore snow. We used some sort of plastic snow, not entirely sure where we got it. And make sure you have some way to keep the snow in the tube at the ends. But this method doesn't work for large-scale staging, just a smaller area.

Pardon the vague description, I was only a freshman when we did this show. But it worked wonderfully.

Many of the Snow Machines use a soap based formula for the creation of "flakes" and many people find these "flakes" to be a throat irritant. I know I for one do.

Plastic snow is easy to use and can be distributed via 4" PVC drainage pipe and released via compressed air or even a shop vac. Hint: If you stage floor is clean the snow can be swept up and reused.

The plastic snow works really well. We used some for the end of a piece called "winter" for a dance concert, and we just swept the stage during the blackout after the piece.

We rented an older LeMaitre snow machine last spring for the blizzard scene in "HONK." As has been mentioned, it was absolutely vacuum cleaner loud. At higher snow volumes, the "flakes" would clump together & leave a real residue mess on the stage, plus they took forever to dry up. Nevertheless, I think the machines still produce the most realistic effect.

The newer snow machines are much better, from what I can tell. I've seen several at LDI that are much quieter, have no residue (with the proper manufacturer-specified fluid) & the effect looks like the real thing. Even the old LeMaitre we rented looked great at lower snow volumes. Add a fan under it to help lift & dry the flakes. If you are trying to cover a large area, bite the bullet & rent two or more machines, rather than trying to cover it all with one.

Reviving this,

We did a production recently where we needed a snowfall in a small area of stage, pretty localized. Our solution was to take a 5 gallon paint bucket and stick a cheap disco ball rotator in the bottom and attach a heavy wire paddle to the rotating axle. then put the motor on a dimmer (only works with cheap rotators) then we just drilled about 20 3/4" holes around the side of the bucket, it was very effective so long as you made sure the holes were sanded down and you used 1/16" snow. This effect also worked with petals.

Also a complication we ran into is that the trickle flow from the dimmers was enough to get the motor to move and an occasional couple flakes would fall at innapropriate times.

I need to find a fake paper or plastic snow to use for the nutcracker. Any suggestions would be great, and where to get it from. :)

Have you looked at potato flakes? I don't know how well this will work, but you should think about taking a trip to your local grocery store and picking up a box. Then you can test it out and see how it works before you decide whether this is the way to go.

I've never tried this, but the year before my freshman year at high school, they spent a few days shredding paper, paper, and more paper. Then they built huge hoppers out of cardboard, the "snow" would fall onto a tray-type thing a few inches below the hopper, then a box fan would blow it out.

This was for a "snowcoming" dance (winter version of homecoming,) not a theatre production. Also, they were sweeping up little bits of paper all over the school for six months after the dance. consonant

Last edited:
See the newly created Glossary entry: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/glossarys/9120-snow-cradle.html

Machines, such as this, or this, using liquid soap tend to produce more realistic snow, but if you're set on the traditional snow cradle, shredded polyethylene flakes can be had from Norcosto, Southern Importers, or just about any theatrical dealer, for about $5 per pound. Depending on the width of the cradle, it's unlikely you'll be dropping more than one pound per performance.

DO NOT re-use the snow!
The chances of contamination with foreign matter, and the difficulty in filtering make it just not worth the risk. Dropping a screw, nail, washer, or wood splinter into seven year-old Clara's eye WILL NOT make for good press for The Nutcracker or your venue.

I would avoid potato flakes, as well as any edible substance, as they tend to attact pests. You'll have enough aunts at The Nutracker already; no need to invite more. Also avoid any styrofoam product. The static-cling makes pick-up and disposal difficult.

Last edited:
but if you're set on the traditional snow cradle, shredded polyethylene flakes can be had from Norcosto, Southern Importers, or just about any theatrical dealer, for about $5 per pound. Depending on the width of the cradle, it's unlikely you'll be dropping more than one pound per performance.

As Derek mentioned, the polyethylene flakes are a good alternative for the snow machine. Especially depending on what is happening while the snow is falling. I had a music director insist on using a snow machine while the singers go around the stage in roller blades. People were falling everywhere because like I had warned the director, it is soap based and can get slippery and a wet mop of the stage afterwards is necessary. Also make sure the machine is not pointed towards soft goods. It is a pain to clean out.

But also something to keep in mind, no matter what type of snow effect you use, DO NOT DROP IT ABOVE YOUR INSTRUMENTS! I'm still scraping off red spray painted polyethylene flakes that were dropped above some ParNELs before I got here.

I would avoid potato flakes, as well as any edible substance, as they tend to attact pests.

And pests tend to attract other pests! We have a small mouse problem that is coming back after being contained for several years. These mice have attracted a predator, and we had to chase a bat out of the building yesterday that started dive bombing our designer during focus yesterday! :eek::eek:

We have a small mouse problem that is coming back after being contained for several years. These mice have attracted a predator, and we had to chase a bat out of the building yesterday that started dive bombing our designer during focus yesterday! :eek::eek:

That sounds quite handy, if you could tame him...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back