Sound guy doing light show :O

I'm the sole sound guy at my high school and unfortunatly for me, all 3 of our lighting tech's graduated last year and it's up to me to run this years light show.

I've managed to teach my self the basics of working the board (an ect expression...I think), writing cues and playing them back.

I have plenty of time before the show, but I NEED all the help I can get and any tips I can get would be greatly appreciated.

well really the question is is their anything specific you would like to know? What show is it? Something that might need some basic chases or effects cues? I could explain a step cue. Other than that my main tip, dont accidentally hit fader C/D's Go button during a show :D

Good advice, right there!

Hahah! Thanks Les, to add to that if you're scared you'll hit it tape a bottle cap over it, ive seen that once or twice it was pretty good thinking other than that once you know how to cue on the express unless you want to get really into it theres not much to say.

It sounds like your question is one of design, not just the technical basics which you seem to have figured out. I dont claim to be the best designer in the world, or the best educator, and honestly have been learning how to do this for the past 3 years. A lot of the following are from my process, yours will doubtless be different. I read books and articles about lighting all the time, and about design. I look at photographs and art a lot, and take time to understand how the light works to make that scene. Obviously your more interested in sound, but lighting can be a ton of fun. Also, people think our toys are cooler. A good friend is a squeak at my school, and he routinely raves over how cool his new mic/mixer/speaker is. However, hes the only one who finds it cool. Everyone thinks moving heads are cool. :) Anyhow, the following is a general accounting of my design process. The one thing I cant emphasize enough in this entire post is read the script and understand it.

1. This wont be a four-wall rental, and unless you have a budget, you pretty much need to make your stock work. Take inventory, make sure everything is working. If you have time, fix the things that are broken. Find out what gel colors you have, and if you can order more. Take a look at the gobos you have. Find out if you have a budget for new ones.

2. Read the script. Several times. Decide what the show is about, and talk with the director and get your ideas for what the show is about on the same page. While talking with the director, find out how they want the show lit (is it bright and cheery or dark and moody?). Also find out what colors they totally hate. Dont use those colors. Remember, your entire task is to reveal the world of the play to the audience. Thus, you are concerned with illumination, but the lack thereof is also an important thing to take into account. You dont need to light every bit of the stage all the time, or even all of the character all of the time. Your world needs to be defined by you and the director, and then you need to focus lights to make that world visible. If your doing Midsummer Nights Dream, your world might be very oddly colored, whereas if your doing Chekov, its probably not. Your world might be very dark and emotionally charged, or it might be bright and funny looking. Define this, and make everything happen with that in mind. Most people like to look at pictures to help them define this, I have a big 3x6 sheet of cork board that I post photos, paintings, and whatnot on while Im designing. You dont have to, but I like to be able to see all of my pictures at once, and I had a huge piece of cork board left over from a show for some reason.

3. Start making a plan. One thing that you can do is download google sketchup, make a 3d model of the set, put some people on it in various acting areas, and print out a bunch of copies in a neutral grey scale. Use black and white charcoal to show highlights and shadows for each scene, and any changes that you think you need to do in a scene. These sketches can be as rough or as detailed as you like. I find it helpful to put a body in each area on the stage. The ones that are not lit for each scene, I just color black. It generally is helpful to have more rather than fewer areas. It is also generally a good idea to have an odd number across the stage, as the DS/C tends to get used a lot, and with an even number of areas, you dont have that area as a distinct set of lights.

4. Look at your sketches. It will become apparent from where the highlights and shadows are where you NEED lights. On your light plot, start by drawing lights there. Since you have not seen a designer run yet, as its still fairly early on, if you have say 1 frontlight on the DS/C acting area, you probably want one for the rest of your acting areas too. This leads to the McCandles method, which has 2 frontlights per area, each about 45º from perpendicular to the stage. These are colored in tints, generally one warm and one cool. Rinse and repeat for each area. Generally, a toplight and a backlight (names say where they go) are added for each area as well. You can also add several top and/or back lights in different colors, as these positions make it easy to color the stage and figure while not darkening the actor's face too much. Another popular addition is to add in a lower angle frontlight, sometimes on the balcony rail, to get the actor's eyes more effectively. I believe this is called jewel lighting? This entire process is where knowing your inventory comes in. If you NEED to have 14 acting areas and all you have are 24 ERSs and 16 Fresnels, you need a new plan than Jewel lighting with a 2 tone backlight system, which would require 42 ERSs and 42 Fresnels and/or PARs. I can do that in my theater, but your inventory is not mine, so figure out what you can and cant do, and make it work. Recently Les lit a show with something like 12 fresnels total (Just read that thread), so it is doable with a tiny amount of lights.

5. So now you have your basic systems in, frontlight, toplight and backlight. Now you need to decide if you need any other systems of light. Side light, from low angle shin busters on booms to High side pipe ends and anywhere in between are often added, and used a lot more if dancing is to happen, but can add a killer effect to a straight play. Do you need to add texture? Its generally a good idea, and adding in a system of gobos can really make a good design great. I like to have at least one system of breakup gobos, one in sharp focus and another just enough in focus that you get a cool texture. Do you need any specials? The standard "dramatic" look is actor in a spotlight and nothing else on. You dont need to do this, but your director might want it. Find out. Do you need to have a spotlight somewhere for that actor? At some point in here its a good idea to sit down and watch a run, maybe several times. See what kind of specials you need to hang. At this point you can start writing your cue list as well. It will be preliminary until you open the show, but at this point you can start saying ok, in Act 1 Scene 1, this is the look we have. In the same scene, when x says whatever, it changes to this. One thing I learned the value of is writing maintenance cues. I generally write a series of cues that turn every light in the plot on so that you can see them. Then there are a series of cues that show systems together, and then a blackout. I like this system because it forces the board op to check all the dimmers and lights before the show starts, and you can see the focus of lights in a system, something that you cant do with the channel check function. You can also program cues if your using an I-Cue to have it hit all of its focus points, making sure that it is functioning correctly. This set of cues can be as simple or as complicated as you want, or you dont have to do it at all. Its just something I find valuable.

6. At this point, you should be ready to finalize your light plot and paperwork, which shows each instrument and what channel number it is assigned to, and a blank space for the dimmer number. It also shows what color you have in the instrument, what the lamp wattage is, any accessories in the instrument, if you have a group or submaster, etc. This can be a fairly simple channel hookup and instrument schedule, or a very complicated packet that has group lists, submaster lists, channel hookups, patch lists, breakdowns by position, and all sorts of other things. It all really depends on how complex your lighting is. The things you must have, however, are a channel hookup and a light plot, and as a ME, those are pretty much what I look at from when I get the plot and paperwork until its time to program the board. Making good paperwork is an art form that some designers are better at than others. I try and make as much and as complete documentation as I can, so that If I died someone could figure out my design and make the show run anyhow. However, I have had designers email me a crappy light plot and a channel hookup with no useful information on it, and I still got the show up and running. Just dont be that guy, but you dont need to be me either.

7. Its time to hang and focus your plot. This is often sent off to the ME and squints to make happen in a professional or larger setting, but it sounds like the ME is you, so you get to learn how this works from start to finish. Fortunately, hanging lights is not too hard. Make sure you use the safety cables on every light, and if they are all working, you should have very few problems. A few hints. If your lifting instruments up to height, its easier to put all the things that go in them in before you bring it up to height. Save a trip on the ladder. Circuiting can be done after all the lights are hung or as you go. Choose the one that is easier, and stick to it. Make sure the lights work before you climb. This saves you the trouble of trying to re-lamp in the air, or repairing a connector while hanging off of a truss. This has happened to me and it is not fun. Avoid it. Anyhow, once you get all your lights hung and plugged in, grab a bunch of 20+" pieces of tie line or a roll of e-tape, get up in the air, and dress all your cables nicely. Leave enough slack on the cables so you can move the instrument around during focus, but dont let a long run of cable just droop. That looks ugly, and is to be avoided.

8. Now its focus time. Bring up each light in your design, and have one guy on the ladder moving it around, and you on the stage to see where it is. It helps to stand in the area such that the hot spot of the light should be on your head. Then the electrician up top can point the light easily. Have them lock it down, then adjust the sharpness of the edge of the beam, and then push in shutters to where they have to go. On some blues and reds and greens, you will want to pull the color out before you do this so as you can see the beam.

9. Cue your show. It is often good to get the director in there, and a guy up on stage to run around and look like an actor. Write a cue for every one that you have written down, and even if its 2 cues that are identical, write them all out in a linear sequence so that pressing Go once is all you need to do. The process of writing and editing cues will probably continue until you open the show, as even once you are in techs, you will want to edit looks and tweak things.

10. Opening night. Sit back, run the show if thats your job, and enjoy the looks you made on stage. Collect your money if they are paying you. Congratulate the actors for hitting their light. Sleep.

Anyhow, theres my process in a large nutshell. The most important thing is read the script, and the second is have fun. By the way, what show are you guys doing? If its a dance or musical, some additional notes would apply, but even they work in the above thoughts.

Thanks for all the advice!

A couple questions:

Do I record the show as a series of cues connected by follow's or is it possible to have complex cues (1-7 @ FL then after .5 secound's 8-10 @ FL......)?

Can I somehow link the start of the music to the start of the show?

Can I transfer cue's from 'Off-Line Editor' to the light board?

A couple questions:

Do I record the show as a series of cues connected by follow's or is it possible to have complex cues (1-7 @ FL then after .5 secound's 8-10 @ FL......)?

2. Yes, you can set cues to be executed on a specific time (via SMTPE), and then it's just a matter of using a player that can generate the timecode signal (As investigated in this thread)
3. You should be able to save what you're working on in the OLE and transfer that file to the board (via USB key, for ex.) and re-open it.

Above all just relax! Sometimes you will have situations that cause all sorts of bother, and you just have to work through them. I am designing my first show solo (I have done some co-designing and op'ing) and the theatre has a recital in there tonight (we bumped in yesterday) so now the only copy of the plot is on a floppy disk in my office! And I haven't plotted the 1st act yet! Oh, and I get to dome at the same time as op'ing!

A couple questions:

Yes you can have connected cues linked by follows. Not sure about the complex cues but it might be posible? Autofollows are fine for most things. You probably dont want to dink around with SMTPE, but you CAN. Not sure how crazy you want to go with it, but generally starting the lights and sound at the same time is a simple matter of pushing 2 buttons at once. Otherwise, you can trigger both with something like Qlab with MIDI. Some idea of what kind of show your doing can give us some idea of how complicated your setup will be. Transfering cues from the OLE is as easy as saving onto whatever media the board accepts. Its simple enough, but I prefer not to cue on the OLE unless I really dont have any time. I personally prefer being able to see what my cues look like, and am not proficiant enough in any pre-viz programs to actually get a relaistic idea of whats going on. However, take a shot at it, its always good to make good experience.

Thanks!!!

Attached is the unfinished soundtrack for the light show.

View attachment 3845

Timecode it is. I was thinking Musical or something, which you could just hit go multiple times. However, your probably looking at a few hundred cues a minute, and I doubt there is any way you could keep up.

Now, the steps I outlined above are pretty similar to what your going to need to do, except you might be dealing more with making aethetic choices about what the song is saying, rather than what the play is saying. I know (from experience) that there is a temptation to just make it look hella cool. However, I have found that the show ends up looking cooler if you actually promote what song says, which might not be the same as the words themselves.

On a purely aethetic note, is there any reason for the choice to mix up a bunch of songs? The sudden cut to Tik Tok kind of threw me at the end, as did the change from the Rocky theme to something else alltogether. This has nothing to do with the actual issue at hand, just something that struck me while listening to the song.

[hijack]
On a general note to everyone... Is making light shows purely for the sake of making a light show fairly common? I had nothing to do with theatre in HS, and I have never done an event where a light show without something else going on happens. Not saying its a terrible thing, but whats the deal with this?

Timecode it is. I was thinking Musical or something, which you could just hit go multiple times. However, your probably looking at a few hundred cues a minute, and I doubt there is any way you could keep up.

Now, the steps I outlined above are pretty similar to what your going to need to do, except you might be dealing more with making aethetic choices about what the song is saying, rather than what the play is saying. I know (from experience) that there is a temptation to just make it look hella cool. However, I have found that the show ends up looking cooler if you actually promote what song says, which might not be the same as the words themselves.

On a purely aethetic note, is there any reason for the choice to mix up a bunch of songs? The sudden cut to Tik Tok kind of threw me at the end, as did the change from the Rocky theme to something else alltogether. This has nothing to do with the actual issue at hand, just something that struck me while listening to the song.

[hijack]
On a general note to everyone... Is making light shows purely for the sake of making a light show fairly common? I had nothing to do with theatre in HS, and I have never done an event where a light show without something else going on happens. Not saying its a terrible thing, but whats the deal with this?

Thanks,

The light show is going to be part of our talent show, and I'm still working on the Tik Tok part.

The idea for a light show was inspired by this video:
YouTube - 2007 LIGHT SHOW HIGH SCHOOL PERFORMANCE!!!!

I know there is no way in hell I'll be able to pull anything close to that off, my school doesn't even own any moving lights (although with enough pleading I will probably be able to get them to rent 2 or 3 for the show)

...[hijack]
Most rock bands/performers in and of themselves are less than visually stimulating. After all, they just stand there and play/sing. For many, it doesn't seem to matter if the band is there or are mannequins. Enter "light show" into YouTube's search box. Would TSO have become the phenomenon it has without moving lights, video, lasers, pyro, etc.? How many records do they sell?

Today, it's relatively easy, with an OLE and a visualizer, to create a "show" without all the labor involved in manually hanging and focusing lighting fixtures.

Doing a light show on an empty stage to a soundtrack has some educational benefits, but even the best are not particularly entertaining. Even the Laserium laser light shows of the 1970s required some form of "artificial stimulation" to be effective entertainment.

Just my 2¢.

Thanks,

The light show is going to be part of our talent show, and I'm still working on the Tik Tok part.

The idea for a light show was inspired by this video:
YouTube - 2007 LIGHT SHOW HIGH SCHOOL PERFORMANCE!!!!

I know there is no way in hell I'll be able to pull anything close to that off, my school doesn't even own any moving lights (although with enough pleading I will probably be able to get them to rent 2 or 3 for the show)

Ok cool. I like the idea of just a few moving lights, I felt that the westlake one was a bit overdone (no offense, just an artistic note) and it didnt really demonstrate the skill of the designer so much as the ability of MLs to do a lot of cool things (again, my opinion).

Most rock bands/performers in and of themselves are less than visually stimulating. After all, they just stand there and play/sing. For many, it doesn't seem to matter if the band is there or are mannequins. Enter "light show" into YouTube's search box. Would TSO have become the phenomenon it has without moving lights, video, lasers, pyro, etc.? How many records do they sell?

Today, it's relatively easy, with an OLE and a visualizer, to create a "show" without all the labor involved in manually hanging and focusing lighting fixtures.

Doing a light show on an empty stage to a soundtrack has some educational benefits, but even the best are not particularly entertaining. Even the Laserium laser light shows of the 1970s required some form of "artificial stimulation" to be effective entertainment.

Just my 2¢.

Just having watched the westlake one and several others out there, I honestly felt that they were not very artistic at all. I feel like an old fogey, but although the amount of features of moving lights have is cool, I feel like not having them has kind of been a blessing in disguise for me, because when I was doing R&R, I actually had to think about the art of making light, rather than just blasting off every effect on the light. Now, it was really difficult to plan for a nice big look for a song when no one had given any set lists, but whatever.

Anyhow, to the OP, although derekleffew and I seem to have gone down some random tangent, possibly take it into consideration? Make art, not blind patrons! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back