Special Effects for Rodeos and Bullrides

Hi Guys,

This is my first attempt with ControlBooth. I announce Bullrides, Rodeos, and a host of other events. I'm wanting to add a little more flair to the productions I do. I would to be able to go out a purchace 2 flame projectors and a cryo jet or two, BUT however, the budget is somewhat limited. Any ideas on building such items. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated

There is one answer, and one answer only: don't. I'm afraid you won't get any help here on how to build such effects, as it goes against the terms of service here at CB. You need to go to the professionals; if you haven't got the budget to do it properly, don't do it at all.

If you want to know why you can't talk about pyro here, read the terms of service. Also, search "station nightclub fire" to see an example of what can go wrong with pyro. It's nothing to be messed with.

Maybe some confetti canons as a replacement?

While we can't explain how to go about creating pyrotechnic effects without violating CB's TOS, let's see if we can shift the discussion in a direction that might help RodeosAndRadio achieve his goal of enhancing his presentation. With that in mind I'll ask three questions.

What are some alternate effects that don't involve pyro that might add that extra bit of flair that RodeosAndRadio is looking for?

My second question has been answered in other threads but I'll ask it here as well. Also, it will require some input from the OP, specifically, in what state or states do you work?.

What are the licensing requirements for pyro?

The third question is related to the second.

Where can someone interested in learning about pyro go for training in pyrotechnic effects?

Last edited:
The first upgrades I would make are confetti and lighting, especially moving lights. But with no budget for pyro, maybe there's no budget for anything else, either.

As for training, American Pyrotechnics Association is the place I would start.

If I'm not mistaken, you need a Firearm Owners ID card, which means no felony arrests, etc. to be able to shoot pyro, but even saying that may be a TOS violation.

Most flame projectors today do NOT use any fireworks type of chemicals and so do not fall under the gun/fireworks regulations.

It is not clear if these are to be used outside (I would guess)

There are a number that you can find on google flame projector search that use Propane or some use a special gas that you can get in different colors.

As these have become used more and more in concerts, the technology and availability and safety have improved dramatically

Sometimes there is some confusion between pyro and flame effects

Here is a suggested way to describe the difference

-- If the fuel is compounded with an oxidizer and needs no air to burn, it's pyrotechnic.

-- If the effect uses raw fuel, such as gasoline or propane, and the fuel gets its oxygen to burn from the air, it is a flame effect.

The distance from the effect to the audience also is typically part of the regulations NFPA 160

Here is a link to regulations in Minnesota

http://www.fire.state.mn.us/FireCode/OpenFlameDevicesTheatrPyroPerform.pdf

Sharyn

Last edited:
While you are correct that flame projectors do not fall under the fireworks/pyrotechnic category they are still an effect that most states require a licensed professional to opperate. Here in Ohio you must have a seperate certification to deal with flame effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back