I've just reread my post and nowhere in it did I say that you were a teenager full of rebellion or that you would let people down. I didn't once hint at irresponsibility. Your reply has me a bit baffled. If I upset you, please accept my apology as it wasn't my intent.mbandgeek said:I am a high school student and let me make my intentions clear I am not going to be tearing apart a $5000 Followspot, i am just trying to find out what modifications other people have done, and if they have had sucess. And from there i will sugust some of these ideas to my superiors.
I may be a teenager, but i have a sense of responsibility, i hate being stereotyped based on the popular belief that teenagers are full of rebellion. My parents on the other hand taught me right from wrong at a very early age. I can't say that other teenagers, or the ones that you work with. I have earned the trust of many people and i have never let any of them down
I am trying to point out to any high school students following this thread that playing with electricity is not a good idea if you aren't absolutely sure of what you are doing. Since I have only met a handful of people highly qualified to do so in my life and they all have had thousands of hours of training, coursework, collegiate degrees and practical life experience, I am advising caution... not stereotyping.
I also speak from experience. When I was 16 our school did not have a TD. they had a 70+ year old choir director who we all adored and who could put the music portion of a musical together with no issues, but at the same time didn't know a thing about the stage, construction or tech. Since I was the elected stage manager at that time, and it was understood that the SM would handle all issues on stage, I took it upon myself to tear down our old LUXTROL dimming system to replace an ailing carbon brush on one of the dimmers (very very very old dimming technology). I hadn't a clue what I was doing and was just "making it look like the one to its left". I got shocked badly. WHEN I WOKE UP... yes I was stupid and was working alone... I was laying in the middle of our stage. I don't remember how I got there. My right hand was burned, I had a terrible lump on the back of my head and every muscle in my torso ached. Luckily a good friend showed up afterwards and helped me. It was a terrible mistake that had a lot of bad reprecussions. I was almost killed. Our director, who we all loved and who we would all do anything for, was called on the carpet for what I did because I was unsupervised. Our musical was almost canceled. I did not intentionally set out to do this. All I wanted to do was say Mrs. B. I fixed the problem and watch her smile.
As I tell my drama kids... practice safe drama at all times on as well as off of the stage.