Stage Management question for school

I think this is getting blown out of proportion. I apologize if anyone thought I was asking a real world problem when it's for class. I said it was a project. I do actually stage manage outside of this class, and the idea is for us to go out into the real world and find our own answers to a problem we have thought up. It's supposed to be vague so that we can get a variety of answers. I just wanted some real world advice for my class project. The professor is letting us explore. We have textbooks and lectures. This is for us, the students. Sorry to bother anyone.

I stage managed several high school productions while I was there. Biggest issues I had to deal with were keeping talent far enough back in the wings, clear of moving set pieces, to not put their costumes in the middle of technical equipment, not touch the cyc as they walked behind it, and treat out techs appropriately.

Far enough back in the wings-- full time job for the teacher and I. I'd suggest putting down some sort of tape line/marking and telling them to stay behind it.

Moving set pieces-- make it clear they WILL get hurt if they are in the way. But then YOU MUST use spotters. I'd say using graphic detail (within reason) as to what will happen to then if they stay in the way works well too (our TD would politely tell people when we were reweighting that it we dropped a weight they'd be hurt, as in dead hurt).

Costumes-- Clear signs that this IS NOT an area for costumes/props. Also tell them at a meeting that the costumes/props could be damaged if they put them... x and the technicians need immediate access to the equipment and will not hesitate to throw the props out of the way. My biggest issue was when they'd throw stuff on the flies, and I was afraid they'd accidentally unlock one or a prop/costume would get caught if my crew didn't notice it.

Touching cyc-- I put some risers and racks of chairs behind it and roped them off with caution tape. This took up about 1.5' of the isle leaving enough room for them to walk by, but keeping them from touching it.

As for treating tech's appropriately-- I never had much luck with that one. Most were great and loved us, but there were a few. They'd *generally* treat the professionals okay, but the students were a whole 'nother ball game. If it was just a little bit of crap with one of the volunteers, I'd talk the the talent. If it continued, or it was a senior tech they were hastling, I'd report it to the teachers. They generally had very little tolerance for it. However, I was actually slapped by a dancer once-- for being in her way as I was running to fix something! Unfortunately I couldn't identify her b/c it was dark, so she never got in trouble.

Jeesh, how many of you guys are there?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I find it just slightly obnoxious when I check the forum and there are several stage management question threads that are your homework, mostly asking the same question. Maybe it would be better if your prof would allow you all to create only one thread for each topic or question for the entire class, that way we're less inundated here.

And you of course know we're not so much stage managementy here as we are design and tech, mainly lighting. While we're all about education, I'm not sure how I feel about being a mass homework resource.

While I can understand some frustration over the amount of SM questions we have experienced over the last week, I cannot support the notion that we are only a design and tech site.
ControlBooth.com is dedicate to all areas of technical theater and this includes Stage Management. I understand frustration over being mislead by some posters into believing that "real World" issues are being discussed but at the same time I believe CMulligan was very up front about stating their intentions. As to being a "mass homework resource" I can only respond with, " What else are we ?" Even on a Peer to Peer Professional level we are requesting "home work" help.
As posted earlier The Senior Team and Mods are trying to develop a strategy for interfacing with Educators to deal with the potentials of flood such as these. We request patience and understanding as this strategy is being formed.

I think this is getting blown out of proportion. I apologize if anyone thought I was asking a real world problem when it's for class. I said it was a project. I do actually stage manage outside of this class, and the idea is for us to go out into the real world and find our own answers to a problem we have thought up. It's supposed to be vague so that we can get a variety of answers. I just wanted some real world advice for my class project. The professor is letting us explore. We have textbooks and lectures. This is for us, the students. Sorry to bother anyone.

As Stated Above: I believe you were very straight forward in your original post. I think part of the strategy development that we work out with Educators will be dealing with the one-on-one aspects of assignments like these. Do not take any admonishments personally, I believe what you are seeing is simply a little "early stage" backlash against a massive influx of student type question. Remember the best thing about us old technicians, we're Gruff but lovable.

I'd say in general maybe something should be added to the posting guidelines or FAQ's that if something is for a homework/ theoretical project it needs to be clearly stated at the beginning of the post. If this keeps happening maybe creating a homework help forum would be a solution. Don't know what to call it though :).

Getting back to the question at hand, The Pageant of the Masters has a system in place for dealing with problem cast members. Unless the behavior in question creates a safety hazard, when a cast member or backstage volunteer crosses the invisible line into bad behavior, we give them a warning. Three warnings and they're out of the show. We usually have one or two instances of a third warning each season, but given that we have two full casts for the show, ranging in size from 100 to 150, that's not too bad. Now if the behavior is especially egregious or creates some type of safety hazard, we'll bypass the warning system and simply give them the boot. To the best of my knowledge, this has only happened once in the ten years I've been on staff at the Pageant.

In order to prevent abuse of the warning system there are only a handful of staff who have the authority to give warnings. In the last ten years, I've given out two warnings as most behavior problems among our cast can be corrected with a chewing out or a glare.

I hope this helps.

If it wasn't posted as homework, that is to say no one knew where the question was coming from, wouldn't it still be an interesting discussion? Who in the technical field hasn't had to deal with troublesome performers?

As a teacher, I dislike how actors are babied. Too many theaters, agents, and parents simply enable 'artists' to behave this way. I'll brag and say I don't have that many problems with my students because I train them to have different expectations. Short of headlining professionals, the average performer simply isn't important enough to be as demanding as many think they should be. As a building manager I politely and professionally don't allow poor behavior from renters either.

Start with written policies, including call times, conduct, and forbidden actions like playing with props and touching the cyc. These should be presented to the cast at some point, preferably from someone in charge. If you or the director do this at an early meeting you'll solve the majority of problems, since most people are programmed to follow the rules. If someone breaks a rule, have a policy you can't point them to ("Hey, remember what we talked about at that first meeting last week?").

When someone breaks the rules, use the theater chain of command. Whoever is overseeing the actor at that time (costumes, props, SM, director, etc.) needs to politely and respectfully call them on their mistake. If that doesn't correct the problem, pass it up to the next person in charge (probably SM or director). Third time in my theater is typically a "Come to Jesus meeting." That is to say, it's our way or the high way. All of this depends on the nature of the infraction, of course. Reinforce the authority of the person overseeing the problem.

It helps to talk to people one on one, so they don't lose face with their peers. If you respect them and explain why a rule exists, I find that most of the time they understand why they need to comply. Make sure there is some sort of consequence - we make late performers sweep and mop the stage, or sort screws where they can't hang out with their friends.

That sounds really grumpy, but I find that I typically have a much smoother rehearsal and production period, and generally a more positive and professional attitude backstage than I would if I didn't set policies. We rarely have equipment misused, or actors fooling with things they shouldn't, and I like to believe my actors go out into the world and impress future technicians and SMs with their behavior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back