Stage manager telling spot ops NOT to take notes

Blake

Working my first paid gig as a spot op and I was brought in by the ASM who is a good friend. On Monday of Hell week he told ops that we would be getting a cue sheet. Fine good. Today he tells us we aren't getting one. So naturally I start making my own notes (ASM agreed this was a good idea). Just now I made the apparent mistake of asking my fellow spot op something about a note over headset. The SM then made it very clear that I am to not take notes period.

Now I don't want to slander anyone, but I truly do not see the method in this madness. Can CB enlighten me?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Depending on the caliber of SM calling the show, you may be expected to operate purely off of what the SM or ASM calls to you on intercom. Especially on a tight schedule, notes can be dangerous if you take a note how you did it in morning rehearsal, the SM works out a change with the LD or director later on, and during the show, you run the spot cues from your notes (erroneously), taking cues that may not even exist anymore or may have been changed in a conversation you weren't privy to.

Not all SM's run a tight enough ship that this works, but in an ideal world, the SM has the show cinched up so well that all you need to do is take your cues when your told and you'll be fine.

Most importantly, you're not the one responsible for the show. If you misinterpret a note or take a note that came anywhere but from the SM, or even a note that the SM gave you earlier and changed their mind on, you're now off doing you own thing disconnected from the rest of the show and that's not what you're being paid for nor is it under the purview of your job description.

And of course, if in doubt -- do what the SM says. Follow their instructions to a tee and if they don't like how it turns out, they can only criticize themself.

I can't improve on MNicolai's excellent advice! Personally, as a former stage manager, I preferred the method of giving the spot ops cue sheets (and then getting them to amend them if things changed), but equally I know SMs who give all the information (who, where, colour, iris, intensity) in the standbys, negating the need for the ops to have cue sheets. In a situation where the SM is giving that much info, the only notes I would be making as a spot op would be perhaps costume related so that if you're stood by to pick up a certain character, you can check to see whether that's the girl in the red dress or the girl in the black pants.

Follow the SM. If they give you a track sheet use it to know where you are in the show and be done with it. Bright end toward the stage and be done with it. Trust your calls. I do like track sheets for deck and rail... But spots are usually just called.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it is a bit more complicated than that, depending upon the show. If you have a show that is called by someone, your gig is to take those cues as directed. period. Any notes you take should only be for your information to make stage ID's for cues (for example) or other such helpful hints for you (not for other spots or operators that may run your spot). The safest thing for you as a new operator is to do EXACTLY what the SM calls. Nothing more, Nothing less. As boring as this may seem, that is the nature of your gig. And you won't get in trouble if something goes wrong and you were doing as you were directed. The SM could have had a bad experience with an operator F'ing up a show at some point for one reason or another and now holds tighter control to avoid any issues. The only way to mollify someone in that state is to be a better operator/person.
That being said, taking notes for your edification will make you a better operator/technician/designer. You will grow because of what you see, how you absorb and how that translates to your craft of the day. One thing you seem to have already found out is that our biz is FULL of Prima Donna's (at every level) that have their way of doing things and will FREAK if you touch their bubble. So be it. Learn to recognize the wheat from the chaff and you will be much happier. Also, learn to work with the weird people. You will not be able to get away from them completely, regardless of what level of operation you attain. Don't press their comfort zone. You will be able to learn something, even from them.
As for Cue Sheets. some shows have them, some not. some SM's call the show, sometimes it is the console operator, sometimes it is the lead followspot/cue caller, sometimes you will take cues on your own. Size and complexity of the show will dictate a lot of this. Just be ready for anything and you won't get surprised.

And have fun. Our gig is entertainment. It is s serious business, but it is also fun. Enjoy the work and rejoice at a job well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back