Standard Temperature For Your Theater

An informal poll: What temp does the thermostat at your venue get set at?

I'm managing a 400 seat fly house at a high school and we constantly have patrons complaining about how cold it is in the theater. I've asked the school district over and over to set the temp higher. The latest response I received was that the temp can't be raised above 67 deg for fear of setting up a feedback loop between the heating and the A/C. WTF? :?:

68 was the normal in high school
65 is the normal in college
67-73 was the normals in community theatres
In some older theatres I have to set the air at like 55 to get it to 70 and heat to 85 to get it to 65 so it depends on the space the patron demographic and the type of heating/cooling system you use

We have a 300 seat house and depending on the size of the audience the temp varies from 69 - 72. You're never going to be able to please everyone and our regular patrons have learned to bring a sweater just in case their seat is under an air vent.

70 degrees under normal conditions. Dance temp is 73.

If you believe audiences laugh more when it is cooler then I would shoot for 68-70. I have worked in a lot of small theatres that were very warm and you could feel the audience not wanting to laugh as much.

Ours usually sits between 73-79. We are in an older building, controlled by the University, so has a tendency to get very hot in there.

Before someone discovered that the AC unit switched off on September 30th only to return on April 1st: Around 25C/77F post-event at the FOH in the winter.
After manual override: A comfy 22C/72F after a show, idles at the set-point of 20C/68F.

The technical rider of most touring dance companies' contract will contain
Environment: Stage area and dressing rooms shall be, and maintained, at a minimum temperature
of 72 degrees F. (22 deg C) for the safety of our performers. The temperature must reach the
assigned point no later than 1 hour before any scheduled rehearsal or performance.
or similar. I've seen the road stage manager carry a thermometer and mount it to the offstage edge of a leg, first thing upon arrival.

An informal poll: What temp does the thermostat at your venue get set at?

I'm managing a 400 seat fly house at a high school and we constantly have patrons complaining about how cold it is in the theater. I've asked the school district over and over to set the temp higher. The latest response I received was that the temp can't be raised above 67 deg for fear of setting up a feedback loop between the heating and the A/C. WTF? :?:

If that's the case, there are at least two solutions. One is to set the A/C setpoint higher during the heating season, to prevent the "feedback loop." Another method would be to simply shut off the breaker for the A/C compressor during heating season. If neither of those solutions work, then the district really needs to hire an HVAC control technician to correct the problem, which shouldn't be hard or expensive.

Generally we run between 18-20 degrees Celsius (sorry, I can't think in Fahrenheit!) in a 300 seat house, maybe up to 22 degrees in winter but no more than that. We always used to have issues with the back two rows complaining of cold drafts, as that's where the air con vents come out, but since we put baffles on them, it's been much better!

Generally we run between 18-20 degrees Celsius (sorry, I can't think in Fahrenheit!) in a 300 seat house, maybe up to 22 degrees in winter but no more than that. We always used to have issues with the back two rows complaining of cold drafts, as that's where the air con vents come out, but since we put baffles on them, it's been much better!

Celsius 18* is Fahrenheit 64.4*
Celsius 20* is Fahrenheit 68*
Celsius 22* is Fahrenheit 71.6*

to find Fahrenheit from Celsius, divide Celsius by 5 multiply that number by 9 and add 32. I am sure there is a better way, but as a not great math type, that lived in Sweden for 3 years, it was my method of knowing if I should be cold or hot.

Tom Johnson
In generally warm, Central Florida

Our standard temperature is too hot or too cold :)

But we're in the middle of renovations that include adding controllable thermostats for each of our spaces.

...the temp can't be raised above 67 deg for fear of setting up a feedback loop between the heating and the A/C. WTF? :?:

Your cooling set point is said to be below the heating set point. Thus Administration thinks both systems will try to run at the same time if the temperature is in the "right" range. Any system worth something should have interlocks to prevent this, so this sounds like Administration heard something and misunderstood it.

Its interesting but there are specific building codes that require temperatures in a very limited range for air flow throughout the theatre. I believe that in NY it needs to be set at 62 F (obviously it will never actually reach that temperature), but I could be wrong. I will ask an architect I know, he should have the answer.

Temperature management in a facility can be complex, however most LARGE and MODERN facilities are managed by a computer. The difficult part is achieving the balance. However usually they are controlled by the same system, using the same ducts, using the same sensors though the building.

Sounds to me they may just not want to have to mess with the system. They have it all set up the way they like it. They have it balanced. They have good circulation, with a even consistent temperature. They know if they monkey with it, they'll have to try and achieve a balance again.

That or they just don't want to touch it period.

And if the system actually does run off of normal thermostats and not a more complicated system, then it too should be impossible for both to run at the same time. Because they should run off of the SAME thermostat.

I have to say that generally it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a temperature in a large facility, that always feels 'right' to everyone. It will never happen.

"... generally it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a temperature in a large facility, that always feels 'right' to everyone. It will never happen."[/QUOTE]

Fun fact: managing FOH at my last facility I could count on almost EXACTLY equal numbers of complaints of "too warm" vs "too cool"-same night, same show, sometimes the same section. High ceilings, variations in attendance, thousands of watts of illumination onstage; yes, impossible!

Sounds to me they may just not want to have to mess with the system. They have it all set up the way they like it. They have it balanced. They have good circulation, with a even consistent temperature. They know if they monkey with it, they'll have to try and achieve a balance again.

Very, VERY true. I once worked as a house technician/building manager at a local community theatre and our HVAC was managed by a PC. It displayed air circulation graphics, air filter status, everything. One time during a rehearsal, the cast complained that it was too cold in the downstairs dressing room. So, I go up to the office and log on to the HVAC program and bump that room up two degrees. Minutes later, they are frantically calling me, telling me that the mirrors are fogging up and that the new temperature was way too hot. There is definitely a careful balance to be maintained.

Last edited:
Minutes later, they are frantically calling me, telling me that the mirrors are fogging up and that the new temperature was way too hot.

Either the talent was pretty 'hot', if you know what I mean, or they were talking up a storm while applying their make-up!

Sometimes you just can't please everyone, Les. :stumped:

Very, VERY true. I once worked as a house technician/building manager at a local community theatre and our HVAC was managed by a PC. It displayed air circulation graphics, air filter status, everything. One time during a rehearsal, the cast complained that it was too cold in the downstairs dressing room. So, I go up to the office and log on to the HVAC program and bump that room up two degrees. Minutes later, they are frantically calling me, telling me that the mirrors are fogging up and that the new temperature was way too hot. There is definitely a careful balance to be maintained.

Working as an electrician I've worked on these bloody systems. One that always stands out in my mind is the YMCA here. Everyone is always complaining about the tempratures up on the running track, around the ice, on the ice, in the pool, the water temp, the hottub, the gyms, and workout rooms. So basically everywhere. Some people always find things too cold, or too hot. Or they start working out and THEN find it too hot and ask for the whole room to be cooled down etc.
Again it is computer controlled, the same with the lighting. I am one of the few people who are not staff at the YMCA actually trained on all the control systems.

You just cant make everyone happy all the time.

The pool temperature is for many a titch warm, for others perfect, and others (mainly old ladies) way too cold. Then once someone starts swimming laps they find it quite warm... Funny that.

Its pretty cool because the facility used a complex thermal reclamation system, taking heat from the ice surface and using it to heat other parts of the building and such. The Balance took a long time to get wright. You cannot monkey with it, or once someone holds a door open too long, it goes all outta wack.

There are many factors to consider. The temperature will stratify (layer) in a large space like a theatre and getting warm air during heating and cool air during cooling to be what you want where you want involves more than just sensors and the control system, it also requires well though out airflow and supply and exhaust locations. Add in how the heat loads that can vary in location and load and wanting to have very low noise levels and a theatre becomes especially challenging. Remember that it is HVAC, ventilation as well as heating and air conditioning, and there are also code requirements in terms of airflow that have to be met regardless of temperature.

LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) also factors in to many newer buildings, especially public facilities. Obtaining LEED points and certification requires energy efficient, environmentally friendly building design and operation. This can significantly affect the mechanical systems.

Of course one of the most important items in a theatre HVAC system is the thermostat placed in a highly visible location that ushers can adjust. It shouldn't be connected to anything other than maybe to DC power to make it light up, but it's amazing how patrons often feel better simply because they saw someone go adjust the thermostat after they mentioned that they were too hot or too cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back