Conventional Fixtures Strongest profile/ellipsoidal?

Soundguy

Howdy, crew!

Who thinks they have the strongest profile/ellipsoidal spotlight out there? I have a theater with a 25 meter throw from bar to stage, and we're really on the edge of what our 1k profiles can do. Any suggestions?

We're currently running the Selecon 5-13 Pacific profiles, good beam size control and great fixture, but not as much light with the Philips 1000W 240V bulb. Selecon makes a fantastic looking MSR upgrade for this light, which promises twice the light, but it's huge money, and you can't use color gels due to the light focus.

Well? Who's got the strongest/longest throw light? I'm tired of our drama department complaining about the lack of strong light on the stage!

Looking at the photometric data for that fixture located on page two of the data sheet.

At 24 Meters, the beam angle is 2.3 meters at 5 degress and 5.5 meters at 13 degrees. With that beam angle size, I'm guessing you run at slightly more than 5 degrees. At that distance, the 240V BP 1000 lamp puts out 1141 lux at 5 degrees and to 559 lux at 13 degrees. If you are zoomed where I would expect (around 7 degress), You are throwing about 1000 lux. I would say the minimum goal for lighting is about 1100 lux/100 lumens. So you are slightly under what I would call the minimum.

As you said, the chart shows the MSR/2 is 3 to 5 times brighter depending on your lamp focus and throw distance. It also shows you can gain 500 lux by converting to the 80 volt 1200 watt lamp. I'm in the states so I'm unfamiliar with your electrical system in Qatar and not sure how hard or expensive that would be for you to do. But it is another option to the MSR.

Looking at the ETC data sheet. A fixed beam 5 degree Source Four at 25 meters has a 3 meter field diameter (which is about perfect). The HPL 750/230V delivers 1904 lux. If your throw really is 25 meters (measure to be sure) sounds like a change to 5 degree ETC fixtures would be a great move.

Another option would be switching to Selecon 5 degree fixed beams. You don't get as much light as the Source four, but it would boost your out put a little bit. They don't show the exact number on this data sheet, but it looks like you would get around 1800 lux at 25 meters with the 1000W 240V lamp.

Before doing anything drastic, I would look at focusing in at 5 degrees, making your lighting areas smaller and brighter. Then add a few more fixtures to your wash to boost what you have.

Last edited:
Another option of course is to double up the units you have.

Or fill your beam with Super Troupers. :) They're stupid bright.

I would probably go with adding Source 4 5 deg. units, and double them up on areas, or even triple up if thats not bright enough. Probably the best bang for your buck.

I would probably go with adding Source 4 5 deg. units, and double them up on areas, or even triple up if thats not bright enough. Probably the best bang for your buck.

Global pricing is quite bit different than here in the US. While it looks like the 240v S4's are brighter than the Selecons, pricing may be very different. Adding more Selecons may be a better bang for the buck in Qatar.

This is true. I just noticed that the OP was from Qatar, thus I cant comment on the bang for buck issue. :oops: However, the point remains that the best option available is probably to simply double your amount of sources, provided that you have power to do so.

Thanks, guys!

You're right; going to the discharge lamps would give lots more light, they're just very expensive.

Focusing down to the minimum 5 degrees does give more light, but you'd be surprised the haughty response I get when I ask the Drama department to try to shrink their performance area. We have a 22m wide pit cover acting as a thrust stage, and Drama seems to always want to cover every square inch of it in acting "areas" so they don't have to do scene changes. We only have 18 of the profiles, so shrinking each one down to 5 degrees really limits the stage area I can cover.

Really, we're on the edge of what tungsten can do; even the 2500W fixtures available don't seem give much more light. If I could change the space to lower the lighting catwalks to a reasonable height....

I just read the data for the RJ profile, and it's about double the light that I'm getting. Super, but at some serious cost.

Thanks, gafftaper for the hard look at the issue. Selecon does make an 80V upgrade for more light. I'll probably go in that direction, although the upgrade doubles the cost of the fixture (new fixture-dedicated power supply necessary). I'll be adding more fixtures as well, although we've already almost maxxed out the space on the only useful lighting bar.

Followspots also a good idea. The RJ ones are very sexy!

Cheers, guys (girls?)

If you want to stick with Selecon, their Arena series fixtures are pretty bright and can be lamped as high as 2.5kw/240v. I don't doubt these will set you back a little bit, though, but it might be worth giving them a call and seeing what they can do for you. May

If you want to stick with Selecon, their Arena series fixtures are pretty bright and can be lamped as high as 2.5kw/240v.

The fact that you have Selecon fixtures in your stock currently tells me you may have a Selecon dealer that handles your venue's needs.(?) If so, pose the question to your rep and ask for a demo within your theater, as this is truly the best way to see what works best for your application.

Yes, the 2.5kw MSR is a bright one and may serve your needs. Have one brought in to demo-

If one unit per area is not enough, why not just add more? You don't necessarily need to go with a single more powerful unit, sometimes you just need an additional fixture or two focused at the same spot. This is of course besides the fact that if you got a discharge lamp fixture you will need to run data to it for dimming if it even supports dimming. You will also be competing with very different color temps between your tungsten sources and the discharge sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back