The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Stupid Foot Lights

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Aquarius, May 13, 2009.

1. Aquarius

Aquarius Member

So we were doing our bi-annual musical, Pirates of Penzance, and the TD decided that we should add footlights (a good decision, IMHO). We had a couple of those little 100w mini-leko thingys, but we had to order some more. Of course, they come in the day that we open the show. So I'm there installing, focusing, and gelling (light pink + diffusion) about 4 hours before the show starts.

After I spend 1.5 hours putting connectors on them and screwing them into the boxes we built for them, I'm almost done. To focus these, I stood off of the stage and reached around the boxes to focus them so that I could see where they were shining on the curtain in front. The once very center stage won't turn, so I stick my head around to take a look at the base where it is attached to the stage. While trying to wiggle it, the lamp explodes. I jump at the boom, and then take a look at the fixture. The gel in front has about 150 tiny little dings in it, and the bottom of the instrument is littered with glass fragments.

If the gel hadn't been in those little guys when I started focusing, my face would have had about 150 little dings from flying glass. Scary thought.

But all went well after that.

2. willbb123

willbb123 Active Member

Its good practice to dowse the light if you are having trouble moving it. Less of a chance of the lamp blowing, when you are hammering at it.

3. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

from Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary
    [user]willbb123[/user], I think you meant:
    In any case, removing all sources of energy is indeed prudent. LOTO, anyone?

4. willbb123

willbb123 Active Member

You mean I shouldn't throw water on the lights? :twisted:

I figured I spelled it wrong, but I was hoping no one would notice. ;)

avkid and (deleted member) like this.
  5. avkid

avkid Not a New User Fight Leukemia

Stageline Operator/Staging Supervisor
    I needed that laugh.

6. chris325

chris325 Active Member

Master Electrician
    Titanic the Musical the way it should be. :)

7. scenerymaker

scenerymaker Member

For what it's worth, I understood what you meant. We douse the lights here in northern Indiana, too! :p

8. renegadeblack

renegadeblack Active Member

I just did pirates of penzance and was contemplating putting on some foot lights but it wound up being too much of a PITA. What exactly are these little things footlights called? I had actually planned on putting some strip lights on the front edge of the proscenium and leaving it at that. I have seen these little things that you speak of before, but I'm not sure how to refer to them to rent them. Help?

9. derekleffew

I believe you mean apron, not proscenium.:evil: There are two type of footlights: striplights (R40s or MR16s) OR individual fixtures,
    [​IMG]
    which can be anything from a bare A19 lamp to a MicroEllipse, which may be what [user]Aquarius[/user] is referencing.

10. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    I love the image of "dowsing" the lights on the "front edge of the proscenium", in order to keep things safe.

Hey Derek get a bucket of water and throw it on those wall mounted fixtures over there. I'll do this side. That ought to keep things safe. :grin:

Sorry, guys not trying to be rude... I'm a frequent offender in the spelling and grammar department too. CB is a place where it's okay to make mistakes and more importantly be corrected to learn the right terminology. You don't want to make these kind of mistakes on the job or worse at a job interview.

11. Aquarius

Aquarius Member

12. rochem

rochem Well-Known Member

We had the NETWorks tour shows come through our local roadhouse this season, and a few of them used what they said were MR-10 strips along the front of the stage as footlights. Not MR-16, but MR-10, which is obviously much smaller but still plenty powerful for a footlight. I looked around the interweb and couldn't find any information on these things. Has anyone used a MR-10 strip before, and are they fairly common, or were they made custom for the show or something?

13. derekleffew

I don't think I've ever even heard of an MR-10 lamp.

But there is the Nano-Strip™ from L&E, which uses MR-11 lamps.
    [​IMG]
    L&E Borderlights

Never one to let a good idea go uncopied, Altman has the Micro Strip, also using MR-11 lamps. Perhaps a strip using the MR-8 lamps could be called the Nano-nano strip?
    [​IMG]
    http://mail.altmanltg.com/publicsynergy/docs/BLItemDossier.asp?Item=MICS-1*&PLID=&Country=US

[​IMG]
    http://www.fullcompass.com/product/279749.html is a far cry from "those little 100w mini-leko thingys." See the glossary entry Birdie.

Last edited: May 19, 2009