Design Suggestions for Cover band Lighting

xmacvicar

Hey guys!

New to the board for the most part. I play drums in a weekend warrior/local cover band. We are starting to look into lighting our live show. Between myself and the lead guitar player we are starting to put together a decent bit of equipment.

Currently I own two Chauvet 4 Bars (not the Tri unfortunately) and I own two par 64 RGBA knock off pucks. I plan on using the 4 bar's for backlight/wash and was thinking of putting the two pucks under my drums on each side to light up my kit.

The guitar player has some very cheap old school Par 34s that we are using for front lighting. I also have a fog machine.

Any one have any tips or suggestions on how we can optimize this rig? Right now I am just selecting colors for the backlights on the 4 bar's and keeping 1 steady color on my drum kit.

You're on the right track. The "drama" in band/rock lighting is all in the rear lighting. Here is where your saturation and wildness can stretch it's legs. The front lighting by far is very laid back. Its purpose it to make the members of the band visible, and except for special effects, you generally want them to look human and have a reasonable human hue ;)
Because of this, you often will use very low saturation on front lighting and therefore you will have good efficiency (wattage wise) on those lights. As for the rear, deep saturation is easy to achieve with LED lighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back