Design Sunset on Cyc with only top lights

Suzzi

ok, so here is the situation, i have a show that opens in a week and my lighting designer asked me to try and get a suset effect on the back cyc, and we only have cyc lights hanging on the top, we cant have floor lights because of the set, it's a giant 6ft platform. He suggested using split gels, but im not sure if it will blend right. I need help!!!! Please :lol:

Does this need to be a fade, or just a static "sunset" color? I've gotten totally good results using top lit cyc's only (actually, that accounts for most of what I am dealt -- up lighting is a bonus for me).

I've used red/blue combos and red/green combos on an RGB cyc, depending on what type of sunset I'm going for.

ok, so here is the situation, i have a show that opens in a week and my lighting designer asked me to try and get a suset effect on the back cyc, and we only have cyc lights hanging on the top, we cant have floor lights because of the set, it's a giant 6ft platform. He suggested using split gels, but im not sure if it will blend right. I need help!!!! Please :lol:

Well, the platforn does not preclude the use of floor lights. A set of MR-16 strips will make a very nice lower bit of the sunset. Actually, if I had to guess, I would say that if anything, the large platform would preclude the use of overhung lights for the look. If you have a set pushed right up to the cyc, you can take a bunch of ERSs, throw on a split of color in sharp focus and then tape on a small piece of really tough frost on the top bit, and then cut to the edge of the platform. Not sure it would work, but it might? Otherwise, a giant fresnel in a nice orange with the hotspot shot right onto the angle made by the platform and the cyc to imply a sun and then fill with a nice wash of oranges, reds and yellows in cyc lights to get the look you want. Now, if it needs to go down, your in some trouble, but not totally screwed. Split gels would be your friend, as you can use one cell for the oranges/reds and one cell for a nice blue, for a good transition.

Double hang it. Focus one set at the top half and one set at the bottom half. It won't blend as nicely as a ground row, but depending on your angle it could work just fine.

-Tim

Does this need to be a fade, or just a static "sunset" color? I've gotten totally good results using top lit cyc's only (actually, that accounts for most of what I am dealt -- up lighting is a bonus for me).

I've used red/blue combos and red/green combos on an RGB cyc, depending on what type of sunset I'm going for.

Thank you. This is was my LD decided on, and it worked really well for us, so than you so much ^-^

Thank you. This is was my LD decided on, and it worked really well for us, so than you so much ^-^

You're very welcome! I'm glad it all worked out, and thanks for the update!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back