Talent Show

NHStech

It has fallen on me to organize and run the talent show for our school, previously done by out former assistant principal. I am keeping it going because I believe it can be a good fundraiser for equpiment. Any suggestions on "must dos" or "stay away froms"?

I have been involved in these sort of events quite a lot

Basically IMO you are far better NOT to charge admission, but rather we typically do a desert auction in between each of the acts. We also solicit items to put out for a silent auction. In my experience you can raise many times what you would get from simply charging admission

Sharyn

Basically IMO you are far better NOT to charge admission, but rather we typically do a desert auction in between each of the acts. We also solicit items to put out for a silent auction. In my experience you can raise many times what you would get from simply charging admission

I like that idea, but it depends on who your primary audience is and how willing they are to shell out cash. NHStech, who is your audience and what do you know about them?

In my experience, admission is the only way to go. We are a larger city high school and the audience is usually students.

My biggest suggestion is to make a time limit on the acts. Some of them can really drag on...

I would make sure that the acts are evenly dispersed. If you have 5 rappers like my high school did, I would suggest spreading them throughout the program so the audience doesn't have to sit through 30 minutes of that all at once.

The biggest thing IMO is to make sure individual acts lighting wants/needs and their corresponding music/audio is organized and planned out well before the actual show date.

We just had a "Lip Synching" competition at my school on monday, and while I'm not an official member of students assigned to run the lights/sound, I got to stay up in the booth because of my assistance in getting the lighting system working again. Boy was it a mess. Acts were coming up into the booth ~30 minutes before the show was supposed to begin telling the light board operators how they wanted their lights, others were handing the soundman iPods with their music on them when they had specifically stated they had wanted everything on labeled CDs.

The end result was a bunch of scribbled notes for certain lighting looks (didn't come out oh so great during the actual competition) and a pile of unmarked MP3 players that had to be switched around between acts. Two acts ended up having the wrong song playing in the beginning because of this mess. We're having an actual real talent show within the two weeks, and as a result of the above mentioned incident rules have been put into place. Ex, if you're song/music is not on CD you won't be allowed to go up on stage, etc..

We charged $3 at the door, or $2 with a canned good for the Lip Synching competition, and the turnout was "okay" not great, could have been better. Charging admission is fine as long as you can drum up enough awareness of the talent show in school well before the actual competition. Also I think its better if you place some of the more solid/better acts towards the end, so audience ends up feeling more satisfied that the admission cost was worth it.

Thanks, everyone. I like the idea about spreading the acts out. This talent show was started a few years ago by a former vice-principal who wanted to do something for the kids. It was during the school day, but was done during a half-day right before spring break - kids' minds were not on scholarly things anyway, and besides, it was a half day, and any of you who are teachers know how much you get done on half days!
I figure I have about 100 minutes to work with. I was going to get together a panel of 3 teachers as judges (performing experience required), and winnow out 15 acts for five minutes each.
The principal charged $1, but most kids caught on he let anyone in. He did that because he brought in outside professionals for sound (really irritated my stage crew). My thought is to charge $2 and all tickets must be sold in advance. I would have to figure out logistics with the principal about what to do with the kids who do not buy tickets.
So, basically, the audience are the school kids during a half day. Perhaps this will stimulate further discussion. My apologies I did not get this info to you in the first place.

Well, if you plan to only pre-sell tickets, you might run into a problem with people wanting to come in right before the show.. last minute plan changes etc.

How about selling "preshow" tickets for $2, and at the door for $4? That way it will give an incentive to buy early and might lead to more sales. Also, you wouldn't have to be turning anyone away because of your policy.

As far as everything else, the couple of other responses in this thread have hit the nail on the head. Be organized. Have at least one dress rehearsal the day before even if it's just a dry tech. Have set lists posted backstage and make sure both your sound and light board ops have an updated list. Organization is key in any kind of student run talent show, most likely the performers will already be stressed/nervous enough without having to deal with something going wrong (and so will you, too).

In my experience with our talent shows, we have a "bake sale" (cookies, soda, etc) in a 20 minute intermission. Use this wisely! Have a band playing in your lobby/cafeteria/wherever you can have a reception type event. Sell the baked goods and sodas for $1. Have a fundraiser, raffle at the end, there are many ways to make money and still have fun, but organization is key! Don't try to take on all of these things yourself ;)

Pictures when you get it done!

Also, put some trusses onstage and throw a couple of pars in them. The audience eats it up! :twisted:

Don't know what your school rules are re food and the venue, but if you look at a typical movie theater, most of the money is made on "eats and drinks"

Is this really to raise funds for equipment or is it really just for entertainment? Don't know how big your school is or how much you want to raise, but typically the students are not the best source for money over and above the value of the entertainment. Again Food and Drinks are where the money is for students for non top shelf entertainment.

it is probably a minor issue at this point to talent shows with admission fees are a sticky point on IP rights.

Sharyn

1. Rehearse EVERYTHING. Sometimes people think you can just kinda fly by the seat of your pants when it comes to things like that. But then you're totally unprepared for whatever problems you DO have that tend to occur at the worst possible times during the show.

2. A recommendation would be to not let rock bands participate... I mean, if you have enough bands that want to, go ahead and hold a separate Battle of the Bands like we do. But if it's mixed in with singing/dancing performances, comedy acts, and that weird kid doing a chinese yo-yo act, it's a lot of equipment (amps, drums, mics, etc...) to move around throughout the night. But again, that's just a suggestion. You might be able to make it work. And I'm sure it would bring in some more people. But consider the Battle idea...

3. During our battle of the bands (closest thing we've got to a talent show... even though they're really not that talented), we usually have a Guitar Hero competition on the projection screen in between acts. They hold try-outs in the week leading up, then they have a little play-off with the best few during the performance Saturday night. Winner gets some prize (gift card?) and bragging rights... Anyway... just another suggestion.

Forgot to mention how they did/do admissions. I thought they handled the admissions side of things pretty good at my school though. All of the other entrances (side, etc.) are locked, so you can only get in through the main doors, and they have a table set up manned by a few people collecting admissions. Pretty hard to get by without being caught.

Also if you have an after show "Judging" make sure the audience is aware that a winner is going to be chosen after. Half of our audience packed it up and left before the winner was chosen because they weren't quite clear about what was going on.

I second, third, or fourth(?) the suggestion to rehearse everything. Have one specific person run the rehearsals. Here it is the sound board op who runs rehearsals, as the major point of rehearsals is getting used to sound levels, microphones, etc. Lights usually just get busked.

If you expect >5 min acts, block out practice times that allow for at least 20 min per act. This will allow for plenty of set up time, and allow the acts to go through everything at least twice. Require them to go through it at least twice just to make the act and space more familiar with each other. I would suggest recording the practices so if you have any questions or if the light or sound person wants to practice, they can.

Require any acts that have anything special to be labeled. Require it to be to you at least 24 hours before hand (or for their rehearsals). Make a point that if they don't get it to you, it's their problem and their loss. Label everything. Label everything. Write everything down. You may not think you'll forget anything, but you will. And when something goes wrong, you will be the one that looks like an idiot in front of the whole audience.

Also, make sure you have someone in charge at the show. Don't let the acts do whatever they want to do. It also helps to have some familiar hosts/emcees to help the show run smoothly between acts for the audience.

With regards to the rock band thing: If you have bands mixed in with other acts, come up with a "set" so that things like drum set, piano, etc. can stay on stage without them being in the way for other acts. That way you don't have to move them in and out for the bands. Something that works well is to run all guitars into the house/monitors through Direct Boxes so that you don't have to worry about carting amps in and out. Or have one set of amps that works for everyone - people can bring in their own foot pedals and effects, etc. Usually high school bands don't have that much stuff anyways.

Have a crew of people that know your space well. Depending on the acts, you will want a large stage crew - for our talent shows we usually have a running crew of 12 people - larger than any theatrical production! Having a large crew - and assigning them specific tasks for each act will make things run smoothly and efficiently.

Also, as a note about admissions: If you are running this show as part of your school day, you really should not charge admission. Students have to show up for it, with or without choice. Charging them for admission to come to school isn't really fair. If you run it outside of the school day, by all means charge admission.

Last edited:
About rock bands and the like - it can help to have a drum wagon so that they can be set up offstage and just rolled on when it comes time.

All of the other entrances (side, etc.) are locked, so you can only get in through the main doors
Make sure all of those doors have appropriate panic bars so they can still be used as exits in an emergency.

The biggest thing IMO is to make sure individual acts lighting wants/needs and their corresponding music/audio is organized and planned out well before the actual show date.

We just had a "Lip Synching" competition at my school on monday, and while I'm not an official member of students assigned to run the lights/sound, I got to stay up in the booth because of my assistance in getting the lighting system working again. Boy was it a mess. Acts were coming up into the booth ~30 minutes before the show was supposed to begin telling the light board operators how they wanted their lights, others were handing the soundman iPods with their music on them when they had specifically stated they had wanted everything on labeled CDs.

The end result was a bunch of scribbled notes for certain lighting looks (didn't come out oh so great during the actual competition) and a pile of unmarked MP3 players that had to be switched around between acts. Two acts ended up having the wrong song playing in the beginning because of this mess. We're having an actual real talent show within the two weeks, and as a result of the above mentioned incident rules have been put into place. Ex, if you're song/music is not on CD you won't be allowed to go up on stage, etc..

We charged $3 at the door, or $2 with a canned good for the Lip Synching competition, and the turnout was "okay" not great, could have been better. Charging admission is fine as long as you can drum up enough awareness of the talent show in school well before the actual competition. Also I think its better if you place some of the more solid/better acts towards the end, so audience ends up feeling more satisfied that the admission cost was worth it.

Been there, done that. The problem is, nobody will every follow through on the "no cd no stage" thing. It just doesn't happen. I had acts added to my shows the day of, 10 minutes before they started...

Bottom line, just accept that fact that talent shows are talent shows. They aren't high quality productions. I learned this the hard way.

Don't expect anybody to listen to you, and don't expect any respect. If you have the patience to deal with all this, go for it. Otherwise bail before you get involved...

Make sure all of those doors have appropriate panic bars so they can still be used as exits in an emergency.

The doors only lock from the outside of the auditorium, so they can still be opened from inside if need be.

@Blah, well that is exactly what happened with our "Lip Syncing" competition.

Luckily our next talent show coming up is actually a "guy" beauty pageant, and they have to show off talents, etc.. Sounds kind of weird, but if you ever saw it, its pretty funny. Even older adults usually have a good time. But anyways, there was a sign up about 4 weeks ago, and after that nobody is allowed to sign up and there is usually 2-3 practices a week. Its not as open and "wild" as a regular talent show, but its a lot more organized.

I haven't been involved in the talent show at my current school, but the first thing on my list at the old school was to hire a couple of off duty police officers to stand in the back of the house in uniform. Keeps eveything nice and calm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back