The Devil's Wire

Anvilx

I was cabling some pars yesterday, Ran my jumpers and headed back to the booth to test it out. I push up the fader -Nothing. Weird. Back on the ladder I inspect my connections. On one of my connectors the outer jacket had come off a little. looks like it was just stripped a little too far initially. But the real problem was that the exposed internal insulation had peeled off in places and the wires were touching each other. Finally I cut the ends off of the cable to prevent use.

But that's not the only thing that is awry with our cables. We have NW jumpers-solid core. They are stiff and don't coil nicely. I have even taken to calling it Hell Wire- their is only one place wire this evil could only be made in. They are the wrong product, and I have maybe 300 ft of the stuff and that's after throwing a bunch away. But who ever decided (who ever fulfilled the bid) to use NM used Rosco stage pin plugs, aren't those the most expensive stage pin plugs?

Thankfully not all of our wire is romex, but not a single cable with either a Bates, ProPin, or Rosco connectors use a single strain relief. How stupid can you be! 1/2 the reason you use said connectors is the strain relief!
"Hmm I wonder what these funny lookin' plastic squares are, I better just throw them away."

I really don't have time rewire all of my cables and It really isn't my job, I'm just a student. Hopefully they will be able to raise the money to build a new theater before I decommission every cable in the place.

But seriously have you ever seen NM jumpers?

Wait! Don't throw it out. Recycle it! They pay big money for that stuff. You may have to cut it into small pieces first though, otherwise the recycling company might be suspicious that you stole it.

Wait! Don't throw it out. Recycle it! They pay big money for that stuff. You may have to cut it into small pieces first though, otherwise the recycling company might be suspicious that you stole it.

On that note... Point out to your supervisor that it is dangerous and illegal... Then politely suggest to the administration that THEY recycle it... Point out that Scrap Copper is worth $$$...

Do this on the understanding that the money they RECIEVE for the scrap goes into THIS years coffers. While in NEXT years budget, they set aside funds to purchase new cable.

It's amazing how numbers on spreadsheets can affect people safe working environments.

On that note... Point out to your supervisor that it is dangerous and illegal... Then politely suggest to the administration that THEY recycle it... Point out that Scrap Copper is worth $$$...

Do this on the understanding that the money they RECIEVE for the scrap goes into THIS years coffers. While in NEXT years budget, they set aside funds to purchase new cable.

It's amazing how numbers on spreadsheets can affect people safe working environments.

There is also the thing where the building could burn down if that cable gets near any fixture.

For the most part I threw out all of the shorter cables that would get used the most, in the 10' - 50' range, leaving me with a couple hundred footers and a couple of 3' ones.

Ironicly on my last show I sent the assistant LD to Home depot and asked her to see if she could pick up some SOOW 12/3. I made a big point that I wanted SOOW and not SJOOW. She returned a bit later with you guessed it a nice new role of yellow Romex.

Well at least its not SPT

300' and some of copper would really only get you about $50 or so dollars at a scarp yard. Plus some scrap yards ask you to strip your copper wires before you can get any $ for it.

Also, when scrapping, make sure you say "My name is ----- and I am from ---- school." Cops are cracking down on ppl stealing raw materials so scrap yards are not buying from new customers if they seem "shady." (I think a teenager with a 100+' of copper wire is shady, no offense). I just had $900 worth of copper pyro displays and speaker cable stolen from my production shop, so I've been all over the scrap yard scene.

300' and some of copper would really only get you about $50 or so dollars at a scarp yard. Plus some scrap yards ask you to strip your copper wires before you can get any $ for it.

Also, when scrapping, make sure you say "My name is ----- and I am from ---- school." Cops are cracking down on ppl stealing raw materials so scrap yards are not buying from new customers if they seem "shady." (I think a teenager with a 100+' of copper wire is shady, no offense). I just had $900 worth of copper pyro displays and speaker cable stolen from my production shop, so I've been all over the scrap yard scene.

I would think that 300' would get you more than that.

Regardless, let's be responsible and not throw away recyclables.

Well they pay by pound and not by foot.

And yes they want the cable stripped or with only one jacket like THHN. Most places won't take scrap SOOW jacket and all, or if they do they pay much less since it isn't "clean" copper.

I don't think Romex would be suitable for permanent residential installation after being repeatedly fatigued through coiling and uncoiling and the general abusive environment of entertainment usage.

Forgive my ignorance, but what the hell is NW standing for? I am not particularly up on my wire types, and cant figure out who would put solid core in anything that needs coiling. Ever.

and cant figure out who would put solid core in anything that needs coiling. Ever.

Someone a few dimmers short of a full rack.

Forgive my ignorance, but what the hell is NW standing for? I am not particularly up on my wire types, and cant figure out who would put solid core in anything that needs coiling. Ever.

proxy.php

Romex cable is made for wiring circuits in buildings. It is meant to be put into walls and that is it. It is not made to be handled repeatedly. It is solid core because it is cheaper to make that way.

Forgive my ignorance, but what the hell is NW standing for? ...
I believe the OP meant NM, not NW, for "Non-Metallic sheathed," of which Romex is the most popular brand name.

I'm not sure what NW means either... I'm guessing the OP meant NM though, which means non-metallic (not in conduit).

Edit: Derek beat me to the punch!

Excuse me, I meant NM. I did put Non Metallic in the tags though, (NM was to short a term) so not a complete failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back