The next show I am working on is "The Wiz"

I'd really like to see what you guys have done with both "The Wiz" and "The Wizard of Oz"
Pictures? Albums? Ideas?
I already have A LOT of the show planned in my head. But seeing how I've never seen the show, movie, etc. I'm just curious about other takes on it!
(only read the script/fed off of the directors excitement)

Last edited:
I'd really like to see what you guys have done with both "The Wiz" and "The Wizard of Oz"
Pictures? Albums? Ideas?
I already have A LOT of the show planned in my head. But seeing how I've never seen the show, movie, etc. I'm just curious about other takes on it!
(only read the script/fed off of the directors excitement)

Sounds like your in the best possible place to start a lighting design. Solidify your ideas on what you want it to look like. Get your sketchbook and pencils out and do that. Read your script again and figure out what that means. Not what it says, you should have that down, but what the show is about, how it feels. Once you get that, go ahead and start working on your plot and sections and whatever else people make at schools. I actually hate looking at what other people have done with a show until i have some serious planning done, usually once I have a light plot down. That way I dont end up making mine look like some other dudes, even sub consciously. Make your choices and make sure you like them before you decide to go and see what others did. At some point you probably should chat with the director and find out what the show is about from them, find out what color they hate, and whatnot. Only after your totally familiar with the script and totally familiar with your plan and have it set in mud should you, in my opinion, look at other people's shows.

Sounds like your in the best possible place to start a lighting design. Solidify your ideas on what you want it to look like. Get your sketchbook and pencils out and do that. Read your script again and figure out what that means. Not what it says, you should have that down, but what the show is about, how it feels. Once you get that, go ahead and start working on your plot and sections and whatever else people make at schools. I actually hate looking at what other people have done with a show until i have some serious planning done, usually once I have a light plot down. That way I dont end up making mine look like some other dudes, even sub consciously. Make your choices and make sure you like them before you decide to go and see what others did. At some point you probably should chat with the director and find out what the show is about from them, find out what color they hate, and whatnot. Only after your totally familiar with the script and totally familiar with your plan and have it set in mud should you, in my opinion, look at other people's shows.
Thanks for the advice! Now as far as planning goes, is there any good resources for this? I am self taught at this point (3rd year doing lighting for this theatre or any at that) because the tech teacher was more of a shop teacher the 2 years i had him!

Thanks for the advice! Now as far as planning goes, is there any good resources for this? I am self taught at this point (3rd year doing lighting for this theatre or any at that) because the tech teacher was more of a shop teacher the 2 years i had him!

Your at one right now. Another place to look might be Books for Theater for good books.

Some of my own opinions. (For Wizard of Oz at least). If your director wants to do like the "Black and White at the beginning" thing, you might want to try some R99 (chocolate) for a sepia kind of look. And then, for the other part of the show, LOTS of color. I personally, LOVE color, but you may want to do something different.

Last edited:
Your at one right now. Another place to look might be Books for Theater for good books.

Some of my own opinions. (For Wizard of Oz at least). If your director wants to do like the "Black and White at the beginning" thing, you might want to try some R99 (chocolate) for a sepia kind of look. And then, for the other part of the show, LOTS of color. I personally, LOVE color, but you may want to do something different.

Um... you ain't ever seen the Wiz have you? The amount that it is actually linked to the Wizard of Oz is loose at best.

Your best research would probably involve breaking several local laws and a few federal ones. This show is right up there with Hair and Tommy.

Actually! I was thinking the same thing! (thanks for the resources by the way!) I recently did The Wizard of Oz in the same theatre for a different theatre company and i used a very very warm color to give it an old homely feeling (think little house on the prairie) and i was thinking about doing it again! Now, if i wanted to go for a more urban feeling though, what would you suggest?
By the way, I already have a page FULL of colors I am thinking of using!

Ah. I got on here and started learning. I was self taught until I started working as the ME of a college theater with a TD who really knew what was up. Books I like are "A practical guide to Stage Lighting" by Steve Shelley, and a couple others out of Focal Press. I personally feel there is no substitute for trying things out, seeing if they work, and making them better. For example, when I was just starting off, I saw some shinbusters on a show I went to at the local Ballet, and decided I would try them out for my next dance. During focus I played around with them until I found a way I liked them (I had all sunday to work and 3 buddies to help me out). Turns out I had re-invented the wheel and that was how everyone else used them anyhow, but the learning and testing things got me to a point where now I have a boom set up that I know works well, and that Im comfortable with. I also have a way I do front light, which I learned from a pro designer, then refined until I liked how it worked. Its not McCandless, but its sort of like it (some textbooks call something similar "Jewel" lighting because of how it makes the eyes look). Are these all the "right" way to do things? Not at all. Am I an expert in lighting the stage? No. But I developed ways that work for me and the people I work for, and did most of that via trying things out and failing a lot. I really dont know of a good book that actually "teaches" lighting design well. I took a class on it, and now am working on getting into a BFA program closer to home for design because I like it so much. But you have to try stuff.

One thing you might do at this point in your life is get into the habit of collecting artistic work that inspires you or has a look you want to replicate. Everything you pull up, write a bit about it, why you like it, how it feels, what the story it tells is. Sort of like Pintrest for theater, I guess. Plus its a decent excuse to order the European version of Vogue, which is much better. This will teach you two things: How to develop your eye and how to talk a bunch of art-jargon about whatever your doing. Some designer will probably jump on and criticize that thought, but honestly, I find half of doing art is being able to describe why it means something. Anyone can throw some lights up in a specific way. Why are YOU throwing those lights up IN THAT SPECIFIC WAY? Can you tell me WHY your doing it? Its not an exercise in lighting but describing what your doing.

Anyhow, to solidify your designs, get out the good ole pencil and paper. I wish you could buy cheap sketchbooks of grey paper for this, but draw out your set, trace it a bunch, and for every scene make a couple of sketches and use white and black chalk to show highlight and shadow. Blend it out and fill in with some colored pencil to show what color the lights are, and take the opportunity to show if there is texture or not in the light. After doing this, figuring out where to put lights ought to be fairly easy, and choosing color will be a matter of looking at Apollo's swatchbook (they send you free ones still so I like their company. Also they have fun names. A Hint: Submissive Lav. is a VERY nice color. Not as nice as the Dominant Lav. That ones a bit mean) and choosing the color that is right for your picture. I like to have a board that I take apart a swatchbook and put all my colors on, have a lighting plot with systems colored in, and inspirational photos around the plot. Just note, its not always a great idea to use LOLCats and penguins for these. Use some that make you feel like the show (preferably of models and trees and lions and otters and whatnot, not other shows). Then I can show this to the director and they kind of see where Im headed with my design, and I can hang it on my wall and look at it while I stare at my computer monitor and draft. Of course, you should maybe think about hand drafting occasionally so your good at it... Seriously, it makes your handwriting better.

Anyhow, once you have sketches, inspirational photos, and a color pallate, you can make a light plot and send it to the PHE. Then they can hang it, you tell them how to focus it, then you cue it. Then they open the show and you get the final 1/3 of your fee. Or your credit for class. Or a pat on the back and a slice of cake. It all depends.

Um... you ain't ever seen the Wiz have you? The amount that it is actually linked to the Wizard of Oz is loose at best.

Your best research would probably involve breaking several local laws and a few federal ones. This show is right up there with Hair and Tommy.

Depends what laws your talking about. Never seen the show myself, but I have seen Hair and heard of Tommy. Im trying to figure out what federal laws you might break...

Actually! I was thinking the same thing! (thanks for the resources by the way!) I recently did The Wizard of Oz in the same theatre for a different theatre company and i used a very very warm color to give it an old homely feeling (think little house on the prairie) and i was thinking about doing it again! Now, if i wanted to go for a more urban feeling though, what would you suggest?
By the way, I already have a page FULL of colors I am thinking of using!

Keep in mind that the black and white thing is something they did when the adapted the book to the movie. The Wiz: The Super Soul Musical "Wonderful Wizard of Oz" is a re-telling of the book, not an adaptation of the movie. Sure, you can use the black and white thing but don't feel forced to. There is actually a ton of subtext in this show, play with it.

Keep in mind that the black and white thing is something they did when the adapted the book to the movie. The Wiz: The Super Soul Musical "Wonderful Wizard of Oz" is a re-telling of the book, not an adaptation of the movie. Sure, you can use the black and white thing but don't feel forced to. There is actually a ton of subtext in this show, play with it.

Now what would you suggest for a more urban feel? We might be going in that direction instead of farm girl. Not sure yet! The director is kinda overly excited to really get anything out of right now!

Now what would you suggest for a more urban feel? We might be going in that direction instead of farm girl. Not sure yet! The director is kinda overly excited to really get anything out of right now!

I hate playing the image game, but thats what you need to do. I can't suggest anything. Not the way we play around here. We will help you out of a pit, but you have to dig yourself into it first. The reason I posted about the B&W thing is its a pit that many people jump into for no reason. Yes, its expected, but the point of the Wiz is that its not the same show.

I hate playing the image game, but thats what you need to do. I can't suggest anything. Not the way we play around here. We will help you out of a pit, but you have to dig yourself into it first. The reason I posted about the B&W thing is its a pit that many people jump into for no reason. Yes, its expected, but the point of the Wiz is that its not the same show.

Not a problem! As far as the black and white goes, I wasn't really toying around with it too much, more of a just in case!

I'm at a bit of a fork in the road now! maybe of just the set or one or two scenes? i know what ours is going to look like so it would be nice to see what other people have done!

Curtain Call:
proxy.php

A cool set. Then go to your local big city and look around with a camera?

This is true. Im not really familiar with the wiz, but im sure its not about a government authority who creates a terrorist problem to solidify its power base, then brings in a pretty girl to be the face of the non-terrorists, who then proceeds to take some innocents and send them to a dangerous part of the world on an assassination mission, only to have it work and thus render the powers that be useless, forcing them to abdicate... Holy Cow Wizard of Oz + Wicked was more relevant than I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back