Theatre Database Help!

FACTplayers

My community theatre is starting a database of costumes, props, and anything else used in a theatre. The only problem is, we don't know what the best way to create this database would be. Does anyone have a suggestion?

We need the different theatres/schools to be able to go in and add/delete their items.

Google docs excel sheet. I'm pretty sure this topic has been beaten to death so run a search, and you'll find a bunch of threads.

I did run a quick search, but I was in a hurry at the time. I'll try again. We thought about Google Docs but I forget why we decided not to go with it. It might be a good place to start building the database though

Microsoft Access is also a great database solution except it's rather complicated and AFAIK can't be edited online...

Our school is looking to set up a database and rental program for the costumes and props too. The biggest feature we would like to see is for a customer to see the stock on line before they come to us. I have not found one that will do that. we have some money to throw at this, but it is looking like I will have to program something to do this.

You can do that with Google Docs if you make the document visible to everyone. Only drawback is it might not look as nice as you want it to... But hey, it would get the job done

Do you have any money to spend on this?

I can find out the exact name, but a local church near me uses an electronic inventory system with a bar code scanner. I can only assume it's not free but I have seen the online interface and how specific you can be with where stuff is, what is is, what accessories it has, what it's status is, etc. and it's pretty slick.

They have a scanner gun but I also think that if it doesn't exist already, someone is bound to make a device that will let smart phones access and update the system from anywhere in the theater.

I sent an email to a buddy asking the name of the system again if you are interested in checking it out.

Do you have any money to spend on this?

I can find out the exact name, but a local church near me uses an electronic inventory system with a bar code scanner. I can only assume it's not free but I have seen the online interface and how specific you can be with where stuff is, what is is, what accessories it has, what it's status is, etc. and it's pretty slick.

They have a scanner gun but I also think that if it doesn't exist already, someone is bound to make a device that will let smart phones access and update the system from anywhere in the theater.

I sent an email to a buddy asking the name of the system again if you are interested in checking it out.

I do not have money to spend on this. Also, it's going to be used for multiple theatres, so scanning won't be practical (yet). I basically need a way to edit an excel document (live) online. Google docs will work, but it doesn't have all of the functionality of excel.

I do not have money to spend on this. Also, it's going to be used for multiple theatres, so scanning won't be practical (yet). I basically need a way to edit an excel document (live) online. Google docs will work, but it doesn't have all of the functionality of excel.

What comes to my mind is a website with MySQL embedded with the different theaters being able to log in to modify their information. It might cost quite a bit up front but the Community theater you work in may already have an IT pro that is capable of doing this.

Hm, never thought of MYSQL. Someone in our group knows the programming for that, but he says he is a bit rusty. Hopefully he can get it up and running! Thanks for the advice.

Hm, never thought of MYSQL. Someone in our group knows the programming for that, but he says he is a bit rusty. Hopefully he can get it up and running! Thanks for the advice.
PHP + MySQL is the way to go. It's free, and there's probably something already written that's close to what you want. Somebody with a little PHP knowledge should be able to modify it fairly easily. Check out the scripts at hotscripts.com. There are thousands of free, open source scripts out there.
Edit: After a search, I came up with a PHP online store script. It may do what you want.
http://www.maran.pamil-visions.com/maranshop.php

Last edited:
I started using the photo gallery script that we use on our website for posting show pics. I began a prop-room inventory "Album", taking a picture of each item we have and listing them with quantity where applicable. It's a daunting task, we've only processed about 30 shelf-feet of props, a whole room to go.

I am actually currently in the process of writing just such a database system for my school with PHP and MySQL. It's something I plan to make available to the public for free or very low cost once it's finished (theoretically within the next couple of weeks). I have not yet decided what the best way to do this is, i.e. whether I should publish the source code for people to set up on their own server or if I should just allow theatres to set up private databases on my server.

Basically, the idea is this:
There are 3 general areas: Costume Items, Props, and Shows. Costume Items and Props areas are just lists of all costume pieces and props that are in the inventory. Shows allows you to build prop lists by assigning specific props to a show, and allows costumes to be created by assigning individual costume items to be part of the costume.

Access control is restricted on 3 levels, Editor (full database access), Reader (read-only access to entire database), and Administrator (full database access plus can create and manage user accounts).

If anybody who is a potential user has ideas for features they would like to send my way, I'd love to hear them.

I am actually currently in the process of writing just such a database system for my school with PHP and MySQL. It's something I plan to make available to the public for free or very low cost once it's finished (theoretically within the next couple of weeks). I have not yet decided what the best way to do this is, i.e. whether I should publish the source code for people to set up on their own server or if I should just allow theatres to set up private databases on my server.

There are 3 general areas: Costume Items, Props, and Shows. Costume Items and Props areas are just lists of all costume pieces and props that are in the inventory. Shows allows you to build prop lists by assigning specific props to a show, and allows costumes to be created by assigning individual costume items to be part of the costume.

Access control is restricted on 3 levels, Editor (full database access), Reader (read-only access to entire database), and Administrator (full database access plus can create and manage user accounts).

If anybody who is a potential user has ideas for features they would like to send my way, I'd love to hear them.

This is GREAT news! Please keep me updated with your progress!

In addition to the costumes, props, and shows categories, I think a "set pieces" and a "miscellaneous" category should be added also. I really like your access control levels.

Suggestions -
Allow user-defined categories. "Props" is rather broad. In our Prop room, we have furniture, stage dressings, hand-props, weapons, lumber and purpose-built set pieces, like a coal fireplace for "A Christmas Carol".
Allow user-defiend tags or sub-categories to refine searching... Costumes-1920's, Costumes-Formal, etc.
Allow pictures for each item.
Track quantity available for each item.
Add a "management" user level which can manipulate the quantity of items, but not add/delete.
Isolate users to certain categories - costume user can't manipulate props.

Not to be a downer but I seriously question the amount of work required to set up and maintain a database vs. the real benefit to the theater. Of all the theaters in the area that loan out stuff I know one that has a small collection of photos of maybe 1/4 of their inventory, no one else I know has taken the time to catalog everything. While it would be nice to have, I don't know many theaters with people sitting around looking for extra work to do.

Not to be a downer but I seriously question the amount of work required to set up and maintain a database vs. the real benefit to the theater. Of all the theaters in the area that loan out stuff I know one that has a small collection of photos of maybe 1/4 of their inventory, no one else I know has taken the time to catalog everything. While it would be nice to have, I don't know many theaters with people sitting around looking for extra work to do.

I understand where you are coming from, but what we would like to accomplish is a list of everything,but even a list of shows schools have done is a great place to start. So when we need something we would logon to the database and search. Even if something isn't listed (ie only shows are listed) then we know the best place to start calling. And if that theatre doesn't have the prop/costume/etc that we need they might know where to find it.

Also, you should make sure you have an option for a rental price. I one or two theatres who only want to rent items and not simply loan them out.

Suggestions -
Allow user-defined categories. "Props" is rather broad. In our Prop room, we have furniture, stage dressings, hand-props, weapons, lumber and purpose-built set pieces, like a coal fireplace for "A Christmas Carol".
Allow user-defiend tags or sub-categories to refine searching... Costumes-1920's, Costumes-Formal, etc.
Allow pictures for each item.
Track quantity available for each item.
Add a "management" user level which can manipulate the quantity of items, but not add/delete.
Isolate users to certain categories - costume user can't manipulate props.

Sorry, it looks like I forgot to mention tags in my previous post. My idea was to keep the general categories very basic (so as to have only one object for various types of, e.g., props, for you programming types). Each costume, costume item, prop, and show can have tags applied to them to create relationships. For example, I might have a tag for "furniture," "1920s," and "chair."

Still thinking about your 'quantity' idea... I'm sure that there will be duplicate items in stock, but it seems like the best way to represent them in terms of a relational database is to have two separate entries, because I could, say, paint one a different color, after which they would certainly not be the same item. I have not quite made up my mind on this yet, though.

It seems to me like there is definitely enough interest to at least give this a shot. If it doesn't work out for a particular theatre, it doesn't work out. I know that in at least several theatres, mine included, this database will be quite useful and well worth the effort.

- Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back