Theatrical use CD Player

NickVon

Here is the problem.

For a while now I've had a 5 disc Sony "home" CD player. It works fine. I'd love to replace it how ever with a CD player that can play "track - at - once" IE. It will play a track and stop until told to play again. This is a feature that know is on pro level Tascam and Denon models though i'm looking for a more budge minded solution if one exists. While the various incarnations of the Tascam players are all great, 600$ is a bit much even for ebay'd ones.

CDR compatibility a MUST
mp3/wma support a big Plus
multi-disk is a Plus

Thoughts.

I'm more actively using Multiplay on a Laptop right now, but i'd like a reasonable CD Hardware solution for quick mess around free playback.

For $300, you can pick up a Stanton c.502. A theatre I worked at had that for playback the few times we used cd's, and it seemed to do the job fine. The feature you are looking for is the "cue" feature.

Good luck!

We have a Numark CDN25. I love the large colored transport buttons. However it is rather persnikety about home-burnt discs - and even some factory made "sing along" discs.

Not every DVD player. Just the ones that support CD+G. (If the karaoke graphics need to bee seen) Otherwise CD+G are seen by players as regular CDs.

The Numark MP102 would do most of what you are asking
I have one. I like the text display that displays the track file name.
it is mp3 compatable, and has single track play. think the list price is around $200
a dual deck version is the MP302

I did see the Numark MP102 and 302 both look pretty functional. Obivously i need less of the DJ controls and really just track naviagtation play-pause.

I've taken another look at Tascam which i know used be the King of the Hill. They're selection seems rather slim now, and on top of that seem to lack the "cue"/Track-at-once, features. and hve the Stop button right next to the play pause button on their more current models.

I'm leaning towards the Numarks. Their Reviews however have mentioned being finiky with burned CD. (though i still have a Laptop if all else fails)

Does anyone one find that the "Pitch Bend" slider gets in the way. Accidental bumpage? Anyway to disable the control?

Does anyone one find that the "Pitch Bend" slider gets in the way. Accidental bumpage? Anyway to disable the control?

Superglue and gaff tape usually do the trick. The only issue with DJ style players is the cue and play/pause buttons. They tend to confuse new operators, however... that can be easily solved.

The Denon DN-C635 has that feature.
I have never activated pitch control by accident.

I bought the Denon used for about $200.00.
I have been very happy with it.

If you are patient and persistent, you should be able to find a used Denon and own serious equipment for the price of a disposable DJ unit.

Good luck!

We recently purchased a Numark CDN88-MP3. It's got the feature you're looking for, and a bunch more that are just fun to play with. It is compatible with MP3s, as the name suggests. The important buttons are large and easy to find. You can adjust the speed of the track separately from the pitch, which is an important attribute in an event house.

We purchased it for $400 when it was released 6 months ago.

I think I used the denon DN series at a theatre I worked at a few years ago. If was pretty cool because it had a little wired remote that could be run from the rack to the board and could control a lot of the features remotely.

Thank you for all the response, Still looking around at your suggestions. I appreciate all the feedback... "gaff tape" is a good solution for the pitch bendi suppose. I'll look up the Denon models suggested, that have the feature disabled as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back