Thrust Stage Dance Lighting design/help

MJS94

I have been asked to design the lighting for my college's dance show. I have only designed on on a proscenium stage.
My college has a thrust stage.
Any ideas how I could possibly have side light without obstructing the audience's view?
or any ideas or experiences that you have done dance shows on thrust stages.
Any ideas would be helpful!
Thanks!

Ah dance in thrust...Try putting booms in the entrances between the audience seating if it won't obstruc the entrances and exits...or if the seading is on platforms see if you can not have a row of chairs in front of the platforms and put some MR16 Ministrips right in front of the platform...

Remember the golden rule of thrust/round lighting the only light that looks the same from all angles is downlight...which can be really helpful in dance in this situation.
Also remember that one person's side light is anothers back light and anothers frontlight.

My thoughts on seeing Cats some years ago in NYC. ( A dance show on a thrust stage ).
"just goes to show that dance and thrust don't play well together"

The issue is not so much where you put your fixtures, it is that depending on the depth of the thrust, low side for half of the house will be shining directly into the faces of a third of your house.

On the other hand, if the space is small, with the audience close to the dancers it is not as necessary to do as much revelation of form as you have to do in a larger proscenium house.

Think color, down light, and footlights ( from one direction)

as for foot lights, I used 2 "stick up" lights in a small 3"x4" metal box open to the stage, split equal distant across a 50' wide thrust. It cast very interesting shadows on to the rear cyc. I used a stark black on white look however you could gel with color. (small led color blocks will also work) You could use a black rear traveler instead of the cyc for some looks if you don't want the shadows.

Try several tight S4-19 up-lighting from the opposite edges of the thrust shooting up into the black gap between the stage leg curtains.

Depending on your venue, you can shoot from knee high behind PL crossing to house walls, using the soft edge silhouette to add motion and color.

Other ideas are to run haze (not smoke) and push soft, slow patterns at steep down angles either from close front of house position or 1st elec. add just enough FOH to add visibility.

Fabric swoops like clouds on battens over stage can add color with up light washes. Sheer columns with led washes in front of your black side legs will also add interest.

Shadows can be your friend, black eats shadows, give them a nice frame and let the dancers draw the picture.

Last semester I also had to light a dance concert for my college, but it was in the round entirely. What really helped me out was using intense angles and getting "high sides" and down light, and than shooting in low off the floor. The space wasn't too big so we didn't have to worry about revealing form too much. But if that is an issue for you, consider the idea of using low shins, at a low intensity, so that they are really revealed when the dancers get close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back