Installs Trying to get an in-house drop.

Hello all, I hope you can help.

When my auditorium was built, they decided to cut a few corners and not finish installing an in-house mix position. Because I am big on making my space pretty, I am trying to figure out a way to have my audio console in the house for the upcoming musical. The only option I have to communicate between where the fan out is and the in-house position is an ethernet port.

I have done a lot of research learning about MADI, Ultranet, ADAT, and AES50, but I am more of a lighting guy, so I want to make sure that this flow chart is correct before I purchase. The equipment I already own is the M7CL with a Dante Card in Slot 1.

Here is the diagram that I was thinking (its all one flow diagram)

Wireless Mics -> M7CL -(via ADAT)-> P16-I -(via Ultranet)-> S16 (1-16(in)/1-8(out)) -> Amplifier -> Speakers
Wireless Mics -> M7CL -(via My16-AT)-> P16-I -(via Ultranet)-> S16 (17-32(in)/9-16(out)) -> Amplifier -> Speakers

My questions include
Will I be able to distinguish the P16-I to the 1st S16 and the P16-I to the 2nd S16 of they go into the same router?
Would this even work?

I am really out of my element here so any suggestions of how to do this is welcomed

I think you are over complicating things. I would use all Dante. You have a M7 with one 16x16 Dante card, so you should be able to buy additional Dante cards and Rio I/O boxes. Install the stage boxes where you currently have your console (assuming this is where all your analog lines gather - if there is an more easily accessible pull box elsewhere it may be easier to use that). If your DSP has a Dante input, you can skip the analog outputs on the stage box and connect the DSP directly to the Dante network.

You want to buy Behringer pre-amps to use with your M7? And you want to get to them via their personal monitoring ports? No, that won't work. Even if you could get it to work, you won't have pre-amp control. Buy 2 more Dante cards and however many preamps you need in RIO boxes. Follow this guide:http://www.yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/downloads/guides/AUD-RIO Quick Start Guide [REVISED].pdf.... and triple or quadruple your budget.

Personally, I would not invest that type of money into your M7. Pull an analog snake if you can or buy a console that has remote preamps from the get go. Pretty much everything does anymore.

...Personally, I would not invest that type of money into your M7. Pull an analog snake if you can or buy a console that has remote preamps from the get go. Pretty much everything does anymore.

Oh that's a pre-amp.....dang...that's not what I want. I am looking to take analog signal from the booth and transmit it via ethernet to the M7CL. With everything I typed I never found the RIO, so I'm going to start reading up on that now.

Also, I'm not trying to cheap out on it, but I also don't want to blow my whole year's budget on it. Maybe I'll just start with 16/8 and a dante card and next year expand a bit.

Oh that's a pre-amp.....dang...that's not what I want. I am looking to take analog signal from the booth and transmit it via ethernet to the M7CL. With everything I typed I never found the RIO, so I'm going to start reading up on that now.

Also, I'm not trying to cheap out on it, but I also don't want to blow my whole year's budget on it. Maybe I'll just start with 16/8 and a dante card and next year expand a bit.

There are two ways to do this... and only one way to do it properly. You get a network that takes an analog signal, converts it to a digital signal, and them spits it back out as an analog signal on the other side. Your issue there is you have to go to a 3rd party piece of software to control the pre-amp that is connected to the mic. This is a BIG deal. The "right way" to do is to directly connect the console to the remote preamps. On a console that was not sold in this configuration, this is going to be very expensive because you will have to buy new preamps instead of using the ones you already have in the back on the console. The M7CL can do it, but it will take at least 9-10 grand to do it (if you want 48 channels). I could not think of a better way to burn money then to invest 10 grand in an M7. Remote headamp/preamp control is the real lynch pin in any remote stagebox setup.

If you are wanting to spend money, I would just get another snake pulled and patched up. You can get a 40x8 snake for under 2 grand. That will keep you console independent any whatever configuration you want to operate your building in. Call your local audio company and see what they would have to do to pull the lines. You won't regret it. You will regret putting more money into your M7.

The only option I have to communicate between where the fan out is and the in-house position is an ethernet port.

Well, for Dante you will want at least two ethernet drops - one for main and one for secondary. Don't forget two Dante compatible network switches if you are really truly going to be running a redundant system. I imagine you'll want to send dante between more than just your console and your stage, especially because you'll also want a port for Dante Controller and any devices inputting from DVSC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back