Understanding Intercom

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by Brian_M, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Brian_M

Brian_M Member

Currently in school, and working on a final project. I'm trying to understand some of the logic on my own so bear with me...

As a group we are attempting to create an intercom for our school tv production. We are not a glitzy school so it looks like we are working with some gently used equipment. We have an Adam frame with one AIO card, 2 fiber cards, and a few keypanels. I'm trying to follow what I've read online from RTS and Comms Guy, but I think the fiber cards are throwing me off. Just to be clear my setup is Frame>Fiber Card>Fiber Card>Keypanel. The fiber cards look exactly the same... 7707IT8.

I can manage to get a DB9 cable from the adam to a keypanel (not using the fiber cards) to successfully work. But not on the other side of the card. Something must change with inputs/outputs, I'm guessing. There doesn't seem to be a guide combining these two brands. How can I wirie db9 adam side to fiber pins, and fiber pins to rj12 keypanel side?

Thanks in advance.

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. microstar

microstar Well-Known Member

Lighting/Sound/Video installation/repair
    You may have better luck over at the Wireless and Communications forum at http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php.
    You will have to register but it's worth it. Just be sure to "use your real name" as they are sticklers for that.

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. TimMc

TimMc Well-Known Member

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. AudioGreg

AudioGreg Member

do you really need to use fiber? the db9 analog connection can be at least 1000ft long, maybe longer. in any event, the evertz fiber cards can be used with several types of systems so they need to be set up to use rs-485 data and 4W matrix audio to work with the ADAM. you also need to be sure the optical connections on the cards are inverse wavelengths at each end or they won't connect at all. the data path is bidirectional, but the audio is not so you will have to be sure that the matrix talk goes in the card input at that end, and the panel talk goes into the input on the other card.

TimMc and RonHebbard like this.
  6. Diana Mullis

Diana Mullis Pro Intercom Owner Premium Member

Business Owner
    RonHebbard likes this.
  7. Brian_M

Brian_M Member

Thanks for the reply. If it's cool, I will do a sketch out and repost here. Will have to document it anyway. I love this stuff but sometimes it seems either overly complicated or too simple.

RonHebbard likes this.
  8. Diana Mullis

Diana Mullis Pro Intercom Owner Premium Member

Business Owner
    RonHebbard likes this.
  9. Brian_M

Brian_M Member

Here is my "sketch" - Hopefully this clears things up. I didn't indicate data, because I know what I've done for that works at least.

Attached Files:

RonHebbard likes this.
  10. Brian_M

Brian_M Member

Also. Ignore the 1-4 numbers on the evertz card. I'm just using them as a pin reference later when I archive my notes.

RonHebbard likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice