Update/Record

Plupo

Hey all!

I did a bit of searching and couldn't come up with a clear answer. In the most specific of senses, what is the difference between updating a cue and just rerecording it? I'm working with a designer and programming on an ETC Nomad - he insists "we don't update, we rerecord;" nevertheless, he could not provide me with a clear reason as to the distinction.

Thanks!

It sounds like a designer that doesn't understand the console very well (get used to it, there are a lot out there...)

That being said, depending on the console, update might only target manual data in the programmer, where record may capture submasters and other sources of data as well--This was the case on the expression series, but on the ion update will capture non exclusive subs. Update also might update referenced palettes, where record would remove references to changed palettes, so it's hard to say exactly why the designer is asking for it--I'm guessing it solved a problem for the designer once in the past, and now it's gospel to him.

Update leaves a fair amount of cue data alone and only changes levels. Labels, timing, external links and everything else on the playback screen are kept with update.

Since there are many ways to update there is also some opportunity for error. Keeping or breaking references to palettes, manual vs global and even current selections can all happen or not depending on settings and current activities. I agree with Dan, the LD has probably had some bad experiences this way.

On top of what has been mentioned, I wonder if they did a bunch of cueing on one of their actual consoles with submasters at one time. With submasters up, update doesn't put the value into the cue, you actually do have to re-record. That is unless they have changed that in a software update, I just re-record out of habit now in the rare occurrence that I use a sub. I learned that one the hard-ish way. It only effected three cues which was then an easy fix.

I do the majority of programming using subs, so I would say the same thing to my board op.

Update is an amazingly powerful tool and as such, many people have been burned by it.

On the surface, update only adds new manual data to exciting cues. Meaning it will only save things that are in red on the live display. Unchanged data is not saved or altered in the target.

On the other hand, record, will record all live data into the target you select. If your target is an existing cue (or palette) all previous data in the target will be overwritten with the new data.

As I mentioned before, update is actually really powerful. It has many operational modes and had lots of other functions. Before EOS 2.0, the default setting for update was "update all." In this mode, update will update data in any record targets used the in the cue. As such, if you were using palettes or presets and modified a channel in a preset/palette, the cue would be updated and the palette would be as well. This could really burn people if they want paying attention to what they were updating. It showed the importance of the update screen.

After the 2.0 software, the default behavior of update was changed to "make absolute" which means that updating a cue only affects the cue and not other referenced targets. You can change the mode in the update screen and you can change the default behavior in settings.

Other things that update can do: update multiple cues at once. Update a range of cues. Update cues that you are not currently in, and much more.

This thread on the ETC forums is a good read, its a few years out of date, so a few things may have changed, but it covers the details of record, record only, and update quite well.

The way I think of it is:

Record = create
Example: Channel 1 Focus Beam Record Preset 10​

Update = add to/replace
Example: Channel 1 Beam Color Update Preset 10​
This works for me because I (typically) never want non-manual data added to a record target.

Delete = remove from
Example: Channel 1 Beam Delete Preset 10​

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back