Using scroller power supplies on dimmed or relayed circuits

https://www.teachengineering.org/activities/view/cub_desal_lesson01_activity1

salt water dimming is based on surface contact between an electrode and the salt water it is emersed in.

it only functions with DC direct current.

throw a hair dryer in the tub an tell me what happens

lots of history to learn.
OK, I'll bite, being less than 100 years old I confess I have no direct experience with salt water dimmers. Why does A/C not work? What does that have to do with throwing a hair dryer in a fresh water tub?

OK, I'll bite, being less than 100 years old I confess I have no direct experience with salt water dimmers. Why does A/C not work? What does that have to do with throwing a hair dryer in a fresh water tub?
@TJCornish I'll byte to; what if it's a gas powered digital hare dryer optimized for drying soggy rabbits?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
https://www.teachengineering.org/activities/view/cub_desal_lesson01_activity1

salt water dimming is based on surface contact between an electrode and the salt water it is emersed in.

it only functions with DC direct current.

throw a hair dryer in the tub an tell me what happens

lots of history to learn.

This is not my understanding. A salt water dimmer works on the fact that the salt water resists the flow of electricity. If the positive and negative are close together, the light is brighter. Farther apart the light is dim. Just like a resistance plate.

Just as a resistance plate will work on DC or AC power - a salt water dimmer will work on DC or AC power.

And they are inherently not very safe - but then a lot of things we did 'Back in the day' were less than safe

Necropost: Sorry, @Ron Foley , According to the video at
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

dimmer, brine will work with either AC or DC.
But when using DC, the current splits the H20 into hydrogen and oxygen atoms. Two dangerous explosive gasses, just what one wants around electricity and sparks.

You have to throw it in at the right moment, though. When it reaches the crescendo/climax.
Which reminds me: The Hamilton Philharmonic had a core of forty to fifty AF of M'ers and hired in additional players as required. One of their scores required four double bass players, one more than their normal three. Bassist Chas Elliot was famous for keeping a Bic lighter on his stand and trying to light his pharts..

Generally they failed to ignite.

One time, the score called for a two or three bar, full stop, rest for the entire orchestra. Chas let go a good one, it ignited, causing Chas to shreek LOUDLY as the orchestra's melodious sounds were still decaying in the hall. Maybe you had to be there; conductor Boris Brott appreciated neither Chas's shriek nor his timing.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back