Using scroller power supplies on dimmed or relayed circuits

jakob223

Anyone got advice for how bad an idea it is to put a scroller power supply (specifically, wybron forerunner 16 head supply) on a dimmed or relay circuit?

It would be convenient to not have to plug them in every night, but it might not be worth it if it's likely to shorten the lifetime of the power supply sufficiently.

A bad one. Search PSU on dimmers. You will see a plethora of information.

There is substantial difference between a relay and a dimmer. Electronics are fine on relays, not fine on dimmers, not fine on dimmers in a "relay" mode. If you have a sensor rack, you can replace a D20 with an R20 and you'd be good to go.

I will suggest that most references to dimmer here seem to assume an electronic dimmer. Much less peril with auto-transformer and resistance dimmers. I think we established previously thyratrons and salt water also ok. Just to be thorough. The OPs dimmers are probably electronic and should not feed power supplies, LEDs etc.

Last edited:
Well, that's an interesting idea for an upgrade - convert to salt water for a true sine-wave output at any dim level.
You could probably use the same concepts as motorized auto-transformers - which I sometimes miss for smooth quite dimming. Really nice to keep a bunch of R40 houselights quiet, smooth, step-less, and that beautiful red shift ending.

I only mentioned thyratrons and salt water because if I hadn't someone here (go ahead - guess who) would have made a point of the omisson.

I think the children here are going to get confused. We do NOT want circuits providing power to devices using electronic power supplies to have less then the rated supply voltage.

So DON’T dim the circuit !, SCR, Triac, Auto Transformer, Salt Water, whatever.
I think anyone considering salt water dimmers is already dim enough, no matter what they plug in, but who knows - maybe salt water dimmers will have a revival like vinyl records.

(But your point is taken. OP - if you're still here, the answer is NO!!!! No electronic anything on any kind of dimming mechanism!!!!)

Only way to park an AT dimmer is to tie off the handle to the grid or something.
@BillConnerFASTC and @SteveB I've seen Variac's "parked" with self adhesive rubber bumpers on either side of the knob's pointer while being used to compensate for sagging voltage at the end of a long run. Variac's do have their purposes. They also make great paper weights and smooth quiet dimmers for S4 on a stick FOH cove follow spots. Been there, done that in 'A Chorus Line' at least twice.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back