Automated Fixtures VariLite Troubleshooting

Mutton

I've run into a bit of trouble with a VariLite 1000TS and I'm trying
to trouble shoot it ASAP. They're at my former highschool and I'm the
only one in today to look at them. The budget that would be used to
fix it closes very soon so the big determination that I need to make
is if its something I can handle, something that can be done on-site
or if it needs to be shipped off for TLC.

On power up last night the VL went through it's calibration but ran into
its physical stop for both pan and tilt longer than usual. The motor
slipped as it normally would when met by an immovable object. It
didn't home to match the other VL. I was unable to determine at this
point in time if the fixture was responding/striking. I power cycled
and forced a third calibration via the menu to the same results. I was
met with the TILT NO SENS error. Shut it off, pulled power and it sat
for about 3 hours during the show.

Post-show I power cycled the console, then powered up the fixture up.
Its self-calibration did not match the other VL1kTS we have in the air
but at the end it seemed to be responding fine. I ran through
pan/tilt, zoom, focus, gobos, spinning gobos and color mixing.
Visually it did what it should. On tilt, as the fixture passes vertical,
there is a distinct tick of metal on metal. Color mixing also sounded
different from the other VL1k we have. My gut says grindey and wrong,
but I haven't worked up close with movers before.

I'm planning on opening up "the luminaire enclosure, yoke, and head
covers...to check for loose connectors or obvious signs of wiring,
component, subassembly, power supply, or PCB (printed circuit board)
failure" (as per the manual) I'm just not quite sure what to look for
aside from mis-seated belts or signs of magic smoke once I'm in there.

Any advice is quite welcome. I freely admit that I'm out of my realm
of experience here and if it turns out only bad things can come of
opening up the the fixture I'll leave it be and advise that it be sent
out on Monday.

Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you need to check the tilt motor sensor. Make sure it's seated properly and making contact (mechanical or magnetic? I don't know the VL1000). Open it up and check it all out. You probably won't damage anything and if you immediately feel overwhelmed at all the parts and pieces inside then just box it up and ship it out.

I repair Martin fixtures and the old V*L VL5B's and VL6B's.

From my point of view, Since i never fixed that model before, make sure that if there is a mechanical switch that it must hit when homing, find it and be sure it bumps it, every now and then youll get one that gets bumped out of place. Also the sensor, be sure the magnet is aligned and everything is cleaned. Also be sure all the wires and what not is all connected.

Been a while since I've been inside a 1000...but first impression from your description I concur with VL5 and bishopthomas--it sounds like the sensor... They do 'die' on rare occasions but they can also have issues if debris gets in between or a part bends or breaks off and gets lodged inbetween. If I recall on the 1000's its a mechanical stop switch...a code wheel reads the stop and reports the limit. to the encoder..but again its been forever since I was last inside one. The clicking you hear sounds to me like its trying to find its limit but cannot register it or something is obstructing it.. If you have debris inside the fixture that could block and create an issue. When you open it up try blowing it out with some compressed air and see if you can track down the source of the undesired mechanical noise..it could be something may have gotten loose and fell into the path..it happens. Most likely if you cannot find any loose items rolling around etc--it will need to have the sensor or limit switch replaced which means you will need to send it off to a shop.

If this helps--here is a parts list/service manual for the VL1000 to show you how the inside assemblies go together etc..
http://www.avantgarde-technik.de/Manuals/Varilite/service manual/VL1000 Service Manual.pdf

And here is a link to the VL user manual with a decent troubleshooting guide inside..
http://www.vari-lite.com/clientuploads/directory/downloads/VL1000_User_G.pdf

And here is the VL service center list and phone you can contact as well:
http://www.vari-lite.com/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=Support-ASC&category=Support

Good luck...
-w

Last edited:
You're unlikely to hurt anything by doing as the manual says and looking for obvious issues. Don't take anything apart beyond the plastic covers without specific instructions from someone (be it someone on here, VL tech support, ect) as it can get tricky then and there is potential to cause problems. They are pretty complicated little beasts, but if you focus on the components that effect the system you're working on (tilt in this case), and ignore everything else it makes a lot more sense and isn't so intimidating. It'll look fairly similar to this most likely YouTube - ‪Robe Colorspot 575 AT Movinghead‬‏ (I've never worked with the 1000s, but typically a ML is a ML is a ML when it comes to teching them). Except it won't be on (ML techs often do work with the lights live, but it's best to avoid that if you don't really know what you're doing as there's UV light, line potential wires, and power motors in these) .

Does it make the metal grinding sound when you physically tilt the head with the unit off? If so I'd say a good starting point would be pulling off the yoke (arm) covers and watching while you physically move the head to determine what's hitting. This is likely part or all of the problem (and it likely has something to do with the tilt sensor).

Another good thing is to set up a good light next to the broken one and compare the two. Whatever is different on the bad one MAY be the problem. I say may as sometimes changes are made between revisions of a unit by the manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back