Wet Stage Cable

Another factor is probably how long it was submerged. A day or two is probably a lot less bad, a few months is probably pretty bad.

Just get the intern to blow on them for a while.

Said the guy who very well could be that intern.

Depending on the actual condition of the cables is, you may be able to salvage most of it by lopping a metre or two from each end. If the water has wicked it's way in it will corrode the copper. I've seen it on speaker cable, power would work the same. It sends the copper brittle and high impedance.

If you cut them back and get shiny copper and no other evidence of water, then it's reasonably safe to reterminate at that point. If that's not the case cut more off until you do get shiny copper or have no cable left...

Connectors will need careful examination. Any rust will cause conductivity issues at some point...

Many connectors only use brass, tinned copper and copper screws etc in their connectors for anything that conducts electricity. These will not rust at most they will oxidise slightly. Some rust on screws that hold the connector shell together is not an issue.

Interesting how many people would just scrap the cables because they got wet in this way but would probably not think about the issue if the same cables were used on an outdoor rig in the rain.

Dry the stuff out, inspect and do an insulation resistance check if concerned that the insulation may be compromised, repair, cut back and/or replace any damaged iems - this should be a normal maintenance approach anyway even for cables that have not been submerged.

The best thing for chasing moisture out of electrical items is WD40 - used by auto mechanics everywhere on ignition systems.

church said:
Interesting how many people would just scrap the cables because they got wet in this way but would probably not think about the issue if the same cables were used on an outdoor rig in the rain.

I think it would also be interesting to know who would throw away the cables if it were their money that had to go into replacing them.

"bishopthomas said:
I think it would also be interesting to know who would throw away the cables if it were their money that had to go into replacing them.

If I thought the cable was damaged to the point that I thought it was dangerous to be used, I would test it myself or have it tested. After that if I wouldn't be comfortable using the cable (or a cable of its condition) in my own house I would cut it up and get rid of it, I really don't care if it's 400' of cable. I'd rather send out a purchase order for another 400' and spend the miniscule amount of money to be reassured over spending thousands of dollars if not more because something or someone was damaged or injured due to the cable not being acceptable.

I don't think that comparing a submerged cable to one being used in the rain (properly) is anywhere close to appropriate. Rain water should really not be able to enter the cable, a submerged cable would wick up the water.

Last edited:
Really great info all! Yes...these are 'legacy' 14/4 cables which I did not purchase. We run 1.2K dimmers.

Cables were submerged 3-4 days I estimate. They are drying out in my DRY basement now. 'Silver' colored connector screws did rust a bit. Copper looks though. Paper insulation in cables is wet at ends. I've not cut too far down yet. I think totally salvageable, but will monitor for corrosion. Let em dry awhile, use some contact cleaner inside connectors then...go forth and conquer is my aim.

What may have saved you is if the strain reliefs were clamped down correctly. These compress the cable and this helps "seal" the cable ends. Fresh water is a lot more forgiving then salt water. Follow the paper trail up the cable. You may find it goes dry at the clamp.

EDIT: I should add that the reason I bring up salt water is a show I did 30 years ago in Wildwood NJ. Storage room got flooded with water from the bay (salt) and the result on the effected cables was disastrous.

Last edited:
I don't think that comparing a submerged cable to one being used in the rain (properly) is anywhere close to appropriate. Rain water should really not be able to enter the cable, a submerged cable would wick up the water.

With all due respect, have you ever done an outdoor show in torrential downpour? It can be, and sometimes is, EXACTLY like being submerged (although maybe not for days on end). I once helped my sound guy friend clean all of his NL4 cabling after it had been in the mud of a horse track during a rain storm. We hosed the connectors, dried them with an air compressor, sprayed some contact cleaner, and put them back together. Years later and no one has been injured by these cables.

With all due respect, have you ever done an outdoor show in torrential downpour? It can be, and sometimes is, EXACTLY like being submerged (although maybe not for days on end). I once helped my sound guy friend clean all of his NL4 cabling after it had been in the mud of a horse track during a rain storm. We hosed the connectors, dried them with an air compressor, sprayed some contact cleaner, and put them back together. Years later and no one has been injured by these cables.

Yes actually, I have, and in muddy conditions as well, there were no points where a connection was in a position to become wet with more than an rare horizontal mist (which is nothing like sitting in a pool of water). Everything was covered by the stage, roof, or covers. Yeah I'm sure the cable was cleaned when it got back but cleaning is still much different than having it soaking for days.

Last edited:
I remember the Anixter handbook gives some advice on how to dry out cables. They say you should use compressed, dry gas (air or nitrogen). You'd use hose clamps to anchor some sort of tubing over the end of the cable and to a manifold. In this way you could blow gas through the jacket, hopefully taking any water with it.
Of course, this process takes time. They recommend maintaining the gas flow for at least eight hours after you stop noticing moisture coming out of the other end.

I remember the Anixter handbook gives some advice on how to dry out cables. They say you should use compressed, dry gas (air or nitrogen). You'd use hose clamps to anchor some sort of tubing over the end of the cable and to a manifold. In this way you could blow gas through the jacket, hopefully taking any water with it.
Of course, this process takes time. They recommend maintaining the gas flow for at least eight hours after you stop noticing moisture coming out of the other end.

I have seen those instructions as well, but aren' they for MV cables? I doubt you would get much gas flow through SOOW cord.

A better option than this would be to put all the cable in a vacuum chamber, and suck out all the air. When the pressure is very low, any and all water in the system would turn into vapor, which would then be sucked out, as long as its not solid. Same reason there isnt water on the moon. Anyhow, as long as the cable isnt corroded already, this would probably take care of any future problems.

No clue what voltage rating of cable Anixter was discussing. But pushing the water out with pressurized gas sounds like it would be cheaper than a vacuum chamber. You could probably do it with dried shop air.

Now this may sound really wierd but you could soak the ends in alcohol and then get a bunch uncooked rice and put the connectors and ends in the rice.

Usually vacuuming the ends works better then attempting to blow air in .

The alcohol will go into solution with the water, and the rice will absorb the water and the alcohol will evaporate

We use this trick for cell phones etc that get dropped into the water all the time

Sharyn

Now this may sound really wierd but you could soak the ends in alcohol and then get a bunch uncooked rice and put the connectors and ends in the rice.

Usually vacuuming the ends works better then attempting to blow air in .

The alcohol will go into solution with the water, and the rice will absorb the water and the alcohol will evaporate

We use this trick for cell phones etc that get dropped into the water all the time

Sharyn

I still say evacuating the air will work better, evaporation inside the jacket would probably take a while and then escape for the vapor would be difficult. Pushing anything down the cable is going to be tough, because as mentioned above, the cable jacket isnt real stretchy. Also, you risk damaging the jacket if it inflates or something odd like that. Also, sucking wont require you to make an airtight connection with the end of the jacket to blow stuff thru it with any pressure, wheras you can just evacuate the air from a container with the wire inside. It doesnt really matter where the water comes out if the entire container is at .1 Torr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back