What are they (not) teaching kids these days?

We had a ground fault on DMX once. Sent enough power down the line to nuke the I/O on our Expression 3 and for me to lose feeling in my ring finger for a year; it faulted via my beltpack when I went to hit the talk button. This is also how we learned CD80's have a secret "disco" function.

I had a system with a Colortran Prestige and a Colortran Patchman 2 scene all together into a Colortran CMX Digitial to analog converter. I then sent 120v onto the ground for the Patchman power lead, fried all the above.

The crew referred to the incident as “Steve threw the light boards on the Barbie”.

It’s also how I first connected with Litetrol who got everything back and working.

Personally, I think it’s that students are no longer taught how to learn, and how to remain life long learners. They’re sold a high cost package of “this is all you need to succeed” when that’s fundamentally a lie.

I once had a chat with my college band director where he related a story of an away game with a college band where he almost lost a student to heat stroke brought on by binge drinking before a game. It was a traumatic story that I am not giving justice to in the retelling, but the point was this- I, being a green colleger (as my elementary schooler son calls them) was pretty stunned. Nothing in what I had been taught up to that point ever came close to dealing with the possibility of losing a student you are in charge of and dealing with that catastrophe, but I knew it happened. I said something to that effect, and his reply was "We give you a really nice toolbox in college. It's big enough to fit a lot of tools in it, but we don't sell tools here. We just give you a really good place to put them."

That stuck with me through years of teaching band, and now teaching stagecraft. I know in the months after our initial curriculum most of the kids will have forgotten how many channels of DMX fit in a universe or the working load limit of 1/8" GAC, but they will remember how to act in a theatre and how to be helpful and not a hindrance. They will pick up tools they find useful and have a means to store that information and use it when appropriate. Above the old library at my alma mater is inscribed, "The half of knowledge is knowing where to seek knowledge." Words to live by.

What does empty sheet university mean?
"Empty sheet" is a sailing term, it refers to a lack of wind in ones sails. It is the antithesis of having a full sail.

One might conclude, if following the trail of sarcasm drips, irony, and other literary devices, that I am not impressed with the graduates of a nautically-themed trade school that now grants degrees.

Responsibility, and some sense of basis in learning in mastering and also to teach. No rails about Full Sail, though I was just as much negative on it as anyone in the beginning as a for profit trade school with overall a lack of training in what's useful. Much more respectable now as a school, it's accredited now. It is a trade school, so does not teach the full spectrum of a full college education. Inkie, an inactive early member of the forum from Argentina went there and worked and lived with me for a while. Now thru training, this website, that school and personal studies and ability is in a place to become if not already a world famous lightting designer, the next. He as a friend went far from his high school posts from Argentina on the forum... to school at Full Sail, to working where I work, to another place in now a designer on tour.

Responsibility in the first time... I became a rigger, much less the TD.... If I didn't know something, I did research, ask what I didn't kow, and did train myself until I was sure I was safe in doing something. This to the point of years later quoting out the rigging replacement for "Its' a Small World" Disney Land.... I spent weeks learning, quoting and re-quoting that project. A bit above my experience level... but in given the task, was my ability to learn and do the task. Did the final quote for a huge project and did not get it a few years ago.

No experience with that type of project... Could I have been the lead tech for the project... yes, by the time I finished studying. Same with many of my installs... Never done that before, than starts the research into how. Nobody trained me in LED tape/neon/digital technology. When I started quoting out projects, It was doing rope light stars and shapes 55 stories up on some Chicago towers.. I said we cannot do this in finishing the quote. I was told we are doing this, and was too early in my career to say no. Finally the Building Manager said no to the project... after some discussions with me and actual engineers.

An education, including Full Sail is meant to start a proscess, as with college of what has been done or how to improve... what's the concept of a confetti roll drum. Your task is to build one... Nobody taught me how to build one, my job to build one... you have two days. Education in while often people without don't go further without a lot of aptitude and personal study is in that spark. Some form of college or trade school such as full sail.

College is if at all possible the best optiong for a well rounded education in the world, while also studying theater. A trade skill Full sail is a short cut but does not give the well rounded education or understanding.

Responsibility, and some sense of basis in learning in mastering and also to teach. No rails about Full Sail, though I was just as much negative on it as anyone in the beginning as a for profit trade school with overall a lack of training in what's useful. Much more respectable now as a school, it's accredited now. It is a trade school, so does not teach the full spectrum of a full college education. Inkie, an inactive early member of the forum from Argentina went there and worked and lived with me for a while. Now thru training, this website, that school and personal studies and ability is in a place to become if not already a world famous lightting designer, the next. He as a friend went far from his high school posts from Argentina on the forum... to school at Full Sail, to working where I work, to another place in now a designer on tour.

Responsibility in the first time... I became a rigger, much less the TD.... If I didn't know something, I did research, ask what I didn't kow, and did train myself until I was sure I was safe in doing something. This to the point of years later quoting out the rigging replacement for "Its' a Small World" Disney Land.... I spent weeks learning, quoting and re-quoting that project. A bit above my experience level... but in given the task, was my ability to learn and do the task. Did the final quote for a huge project and did not get it a few years ago.

No experience with that type of project... Could I have been the lead tech for the project... yes, by the time I finished studying. Same with many of my installs... Never done that before, than starts the research into how. Nobody trained me in LED tape/neon/digital technology. When I started quoting out projects, It was doing rope light stars and shapes 55 stories up on some Chicago towers.. I said we cannot do this in finishing the quote. I was told we are doing this, and was too early in my career to say no. Finally the Building Manager said no to the project... after some discussions with me and actual engineers.

An education, including Full Sail is meant to start a proscess, as with college of what has been done or how to improve... what's the concept of a confetti roll drum. Your task is to build one... Nobody taught me how to build one, my job to build one... you have two days. Education in while often people without don't go further without a lot of aptitude and personal study is in that spark. Some form of college or trade school such as full sail.

College is if at all possible the best optiong for a well rounded education in the world, while also studying theater. A trade skill Full sail is a short cut but does not give the well rounded education or understanding.
90% of what I know about theatre I have self learnt (and continue to learn) I have learnt lighting at home working with the offline software and when I get a few moments in my day jump on a console. The same with audio. Lots of video watching and then putting that in practice. I even purchased a digital mixer so I could playback multitracks to learn mixing and get quicker at setting up. I have not been to a theatre school but I can do everything I need to do to at least a basic level and I talk to others and ask questions and learn something every day.
It is how I have made my way. Am I the best? No I am not. I am competent and still learning.
Regards
Geoff

90% of what I know about theatre I have self learnt (and continue to learn) I have learnt lighting at home working with the offline software and when I get a few moments in my day jump on a console. The same with audio. Lots of video watching and then putting that in practice. I even purchased a digital mixer so I could playback multitracks to learn mixing and get quicker at setting up. I have not been to a theatre school but I can do everything I need to do to at least a basic level and I talk to others and ask questions and learn something every day.
It is how I have made my way. Am I the best? No I am not. I am competent and still learning.
Regards
Geoff
You've identified something I couldn't put my finger on: lack of sufficient intellectual and/or artistic curiosity to motivate someone into self study, sufficient to advance understanding of fundamental concepts.

For my Local, training is partly practical and venue-specific (here is the system power switch, this input is line level, this one is mic, etc) and gets into basic portable system setup (speakers on sticks) and operation. What I'm finding is that completion of the physical tasks are where participation hits a wall of some kind. Feedback, vast level differences between presenters... all seem to be invisible/inaudible to trainees. It's like an LX person leaving big dark spots on stage and not noticing.

Last edited:
You've identified something I couldn't put my finger on: lack of sufficient intellectual and/or artistic curiosity to motivate someone into self study, sufficient to advance understanding of fundamental concepts.

For my Local, training is partly practical and venue-specific (here is the system power switch, this input is line level, this one is mic, etc) and gets into basic portable system setup (speakers on sticks) and operation. What I'm finding is that completion of the physical tasks are where participation hits a wall of some kind. Feedback, vast level differences between presenters... all seem to be invisible/inaudible to trainees. It's like an LX person leaving big dark spots on stage and not noticing.
I literally volunteered myself to read the Radium Girls book to study for our fall play. I don't read books!?!

And along the lines of curiosity... learn by yourself when you can, but also look for that gristled veteran and take away all the good bits.
Crosby Stills Nash said it well in Shadow Captain

I can see your hands are roughened
By the wheel and the rope
I'd like to look to you for hope
I think it's hiding there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back