What Do You Put In Your Lighting Bibles?

Hi All,

Just curious. As a LD, Assoc LD, Asst LD, what do you have in your lighting bibles? What are important things you always have on or around you, other than the obvious?

To be clear - when I hear the term Lighting Bible, I think of a large binder (usually accompanied by a USB drive) containing final versions of paperwork, plots, focus charts, and everything else needed by the Head Electrician to maintain the show after the LD team has left. Is this what you're referring to?

Obviously what should be contained in the bible is heavily dependent on the level and run length of a show. Back in college, final versions of paperwork often weren't generated until long after closing, when the LD had to scramble to present a final package for his Portfolio Review. And we only used focus charts a handful of times, as the LD was generally within a 5 minute walk of the theatre. For Broadway shows and tours, obviously the paperwork is much more extensive, potentially including a complete FocusTrack file with individual photos of every single focus to back up traditional focus charts, as well as meticulously updated ML tracking sheets, follow spot cue sheets, cues for when sidelight ladders would fly in and out, detailed drawings and schematics of practicals, specific CMY values of all color palettes, and probably more information than you could ever need.

For a road house that sees other electricians and programmers operating the system;

A binder with - 11x17 prints of the rep. plot, circuit layout, network layout, pit circuit layouts. Then how to info for open/closing console position, start up/shut down procedures for Ion, Status SM console(s), what to do when Unison throws an Arc Failure, follow spot procedures ( breaker locations, room fans), house light address info, lamp/fixture guide, etc... And any number of other tidbits that let the replacements keep the system running when I'm not there. As well, in the same drawer is the manuals for the MLs we operate and other gear manuals and my C-Tran Staus manual. The Ion manual lives at that console. I think the binder is titled "How we do it".

The actual production related paperwork is in a file folder and typically is just an 11x17 color plot plus a LW hookup. Not much else needed in a rep. setup.

As mentioned above, so much of the level of detail is entrenched in the type of show and venue situations. But as someone who assists/associat designs and programs at predominantly producing repertory companies my book typically includes detailed cue sheets, spot sheets, magic sheets, groups and pallets lists, all LW info, ML track sheets if needed, any dmx/color charts and the like for rental gear that we may not be as familiar with, and anything else super show specific. I also like to keep a list of numbers and addresses for closest drug store, grocery, post office, ER/urgent care, kinkos, hidden "tourist" gems, bars and restaurants printed out for out of town designers.

As for what's always in my bag/at the tech table with me, usually have a pen, pencil and sharpie stuck in my ponytail. Cell charger, laptop, flashlight are all pretty obvious. Also post-it's!!! In fact, I am pretty much paperless except for post its (I use virtual post its for myself) but nothing is handier to be able to write down circuits, colors, or other notes to hand to the swing techs for them to be able to do notes during rehearsals. I also have a non-littlelite/tech table light I have on hand just in case.

And there's usually communal chocolate on the table too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back