what is a barrel in a rigging context?

As often happens, the instructor is trying to show his knowledge of theatre and uses a poorly worded question to play "gotcha" with the students.
My answer would be, in modern theatre, none between A and B, C has no common usage in North America.

These are not Canadian regional terms. Until today, I thought what everyone else on here thought. But when he isn't here, we use them all interchangeably (well except for barrel, sorry Brits).

I first ran into the term "barrel" awhile back in some Hall stage lit. They called hardware, "fixings" and pipes/battens "barrels". Since then, I've heard it used several more times. Seems to be completely interchangeable with pipe or batten. I'd say the difference between a pipe, a batten, and a barrel is...zip, nadda.

Download some curtain track cut sheets from thernstage.com. You can see the term "barrel" in action. :)

I have heard the term barrel or barrel stop used for a NiCopress stop sleeve too, but only as a layman's term, not by a manufacturer.

I first ran into the term "barrel" awhile back in some Hall stage lit. They called hardware, "fixings" and pipes/battens "barrels". Since then, I've heard it used several more times. Seems to be completely interchangeable with pipe or batten. I'd say the difference between a pipe, a batten, and a barrel is...zip, nadda.

Download some curtain track cut sheets from thernstage.com. You can see the term "barrel" in action. :)

I have heard the term barrel or barrel stop used for a NiCopress stop sleeve too, but only as a layman's term, not by a manufacturer.
Agree with Mr. Prewitt. Terminology evolves. It changes with time and place. In the days of wooden machinery all were 'battens'. Then came iron 'pipes', which the Brits called 'barrels', as in gun barrels. Nothing to get one's knickers in a knot about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back