what is a barrel in a rigging context?

blackisthenewblack

I was posed a question in my rigging class for which I have yet to find an answer to.
What is the difference between a pipe, batten and a barrel. I know the first two, but the barrel has me stumped.
The only thing I have found would be a barrel hook (not a barrel snap!); however, I don't think that is the correct item. I have checked Backstage Handbook and Glerum and google, but they have all failed me so far.

Wow! I know I don't know everything about rigging ( nobody knows "Everything", Unka Bill comes close) but I do know one or two things. Never heard the term used in re: rigging. I've worked from New Orleans to Northern Maine and coast to coast over the years, so it doesn't seem to be a regional thing unless it is north of the border.

I'm interested in what the answer is????

I know we sometimes use water barrels to secure guy lines.
Other than that I have nothing.

Last edited:
Wow that's really obscure and if that's the definition it doesn't really fit the question. The difference between a pipe and a batten is a logical question to ask... but adding in what is apparently the UK term for a portable boom, doesn't really make sense.

What came to mind when I read the OP is the round "hoops" on a batten used to maintain spacing between battens. I don't know what those things are called but I could certainly see someone calling it a "barrel" and it makes more sense as part of the question. Anyone know what those spacer rings are called?

I think you should say
Barrel:
1) A wooden container used for ageing whiskey.
2) A device used to ride down Niagara Falls once the contained whiskey has been consumed.

Hijack
My mother in law tells this great story about the time she was a teenager and this southern revival preacher came to town. She went and listened to him preach for an hour about "The Barrel of Christ". There's glory in the "Barrel of Christ". We are forgiven by the "Barrel of Christ"! We owe everything to the "Barrel of Christ"! Over and over, his key message was the importance to all Christians of the "Barrel of Christ". She was completely confused because the entire sermon made no sense at all. Finally the event ended and the local pastor got up to thank everyone for coming and to thank the traveling preacher for his powerful message on the importance of the Burial of Christ. Southern accents are funny. ;)

Last edited:
...What came to mind when I read the OP is the round "hoops" on a batten used to maintain spacing between battens. I don't know what those things are called but I could certainly see someone calling it a "barrel" and it makes more sense as part of the question. Anyone know what those spacer rings are called?
You mean scenery bumper - ControlBooth ?
scenery_bumper_2.jpg

-----
...but adding in what is apparently the UK term for a portable boom, doesn't really make sense.
Not a portable boom, more like a short motorized electric. Unlike the full stage width electrics found on a proscenium stage, British TV studios have a bunch of short electrics (barrels) over the studio. In contrast, American studios tend to use a fixed height pipe grip, and suspend tail down lighting fixtures with a pantograph or stirrup hanger.

I remember an article about one of the theatres at London's National Theatre, not sure if it was the Lyttelton, Cottesloe, or Olivier, was built rigged with barrels rather than standard battens in an effort to be more flexible. I believe this is what eventually led to the RSC LightLock, as a moving-head luminaire on a short light-weight batten is obviously problematic.

Last edited:
I remember an article about one of the theatres at London's National Theatre, not sure if it was the Lyttelton, Cottesloe, or Olivier, was built rigged with barrels rather than standard battens in an effort to be more flexible. I believe this is what eventually led to the RSC LightLock, as a moving-head luminaire on a short light-weight batten is obviously problematic.
The inventors story
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

a interesting video about the product development

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Our TV studios tend to use what we call self climbing hoists, which I believe are the same thing as what's being discussed.
In the TV world they make sense, especially for news type shows, you aren't likely to use a mover and generally your focus is pretty wide so to point it in the right direction on the ground and then send it up is fine and reduces the need for aerial work platforms in all their forms.

Whether they make so much sense for theatre applications is a different story...

So, answer as per my teacher's definition

Pipe - pipe used to hang things
Batten - wooden clamps used to pinch fabric or soft flats which is then attached to lift lines
Barrel - a British term for pipe

Excuse me???
See wiki: batten, definition #2. See also batten clamp, def. #2.

Batten - wooden clamps used to pinch fabric or soft flats which is then attached to lift lines
blackisthenewblack, it sounds like your instructor maybe needs to broaden his/her definitions somewhat. Perhaps invite him/her to look at our wiki? Other terms that seemingly fit into the same lesson: line, lineset, truss batten, electric, bar.

Agree to disagree. That’s what I love about science, there’s no one right answer.
--Penny's dumb boyfriend Zack on The Big Bang Theory

:think: So apparently our wiki is wrong...
Our wiki is NEVER wrong, just incomplete; or in need of further collaborative efforts!;)
!Please Help the Glossary!

Last edited:
what is the technical difference between them becasue the only difference i know of is that a batten is used in a fly system but i don't know any other criteria for calling something a batten or a pipe

He is saying that back in the good old days of fabric drops and the like, a Batten would be two lengths of 1xstock pinched around the top of the drop. This Batten which runs the full length of the drop is then suspended from the flying system.

So the quick definition is...
Pipe = metal
Batten= 2 lengths of wood
Barrel = British term for Pipe

He is saying that back in the good old days ...
I didn't realize we were discussing only the historical usage of terms. Usually archaic meanings are ignored unless specifically stated. If he says, "Go get me a sheet of gel," does he expect you to return with gelatin, or a polyester color filter?:evil:

By modern definitions, a batten is a schedule 40 or 80 1.5" I.D. steel pipe which is connected to a counterweight fly systems lift line s, at least according to JR Clancy, Sapsis, Tiffin, and all other theatrical rigging companies.

So the quick definition is...
Pipe = metal
Batten= 2 lengths of wood
And he is in error. Go backstage at any road house in the country and you'll hear flypersons saying
"Bring in pipe number seventeen" and "Bring in batten number seventeen" and "Bring in lineset number seventeen" interchangeably.

Get your instructor on here so we can school him!;)

Wow that's pretty shocking! Is this possibly some sort of regional Canadian use of these terms? Nobody down here in the States uses that definition of Batten and the only definition we found for Barrel was wrong too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back