What is it #3064: Dimmer test rig

BML Blackbird in Secaucus?
Doubtful.
Footer_QOTD_logo.jpg

Who's old enough to recognize this, ~2001-2005, logo?

Last edited:
PRG, North Bergen?

Apparently one can go to a shop in Jersey but ignores the rules of the post....

But yes, its from the PRG shop in North Bergen, NJ. The place where many a Broadway show both touring and install begin. My friend was there prepping her show before it hit the road and snapped these photos. Here is the rest of the work station...

proxy.php

I've been to that shop but I don't recall seeing this.
I was honestly just going down a mental list.

I've been to that shop but I don't recall seeing this.
I was honestly just going down a mental list.

Don't worry about it. What the real question was "What the hell is this thing for". I kind of figured that no one who was not paid to go into that shop would not know what the thing was.

Apparently one can go to a shop in Jersey but ignores the rules of the post....

But yes, its from the PRG shop in North Bergen, NJ. The place where many a Broadway show both touring and install begin. My friend was there prepping her show before it hit the road and snapped these photos. Here is the rest of the work station...

proxy.php

Additional Extra credit questions:

1. Where was the left hand 96-channel test jig before it was there?
2. And where was it before that?
3. And what year was it installed there?
4. And who built it?
5. And why was it built?

ST

Don't worry about it. What the real question was "What the hell is this thing for". I kind of figured that no one who was not paid to go into that shop would not know w

Since the horse is out of the barn.

EDIT: I was posting at the same time as ST, so....

Somewhere is a bunch of chassie mount Soca/Veam connections so the dimmer racks can connect up.

The shops use this to put an actual load on the dimmers for testing. They can test the consoles as well, fades, times, etc... along with the dimmer rack. This model is setup for dual 96 racks, 4 units of 8 rows of 6 lamps = 192 lamps, plus an add'l 24 in the middle (possibly has a 2P&G interface ?) for smaller 12 and 24 packs ?. I'd guess the 300/500 watt lamps on top center test the 6 & 12 kw dimmers.

If this is the PRG test bench, then it might have come all the way thru the Production Arts -> 4Th Phase -> PRG changes, thus might have once tested Colortran D192 racks, back when Production Advantage had these systems, thus the need for 192.

As to ST's questions ?,

- Built possibly by you at Pro Arts when you were on 10th Ave. ?, possibly Jeff Kaye ?. Probably not Ron Brodour as he didn't join you until after you moved to NJ, I believe and I'll bet this pre-dates this. The IPS logo certainly say's Pro-Arts as you guys used that stuff for a while, about the only shop to do so.

- No real clues I can see as to age. You state the left side is earlier then the right. Possibly tested CD80 analog racks ?.

Last edited:
I agree with SteveB, It looks like the test board that I have seen at Production Arts in Jersey, I do not remember if it was at the NY location, but it could have been. For the life of me I cant remember when that was...If i figure it out, I will post the dates...

Sean...(I think)

Last edited:
I miss those 12 cir multi Cables..Only had to run two mults to an electric and you had 24 cir.
Aahh those were the days, after driving all night in sub zero weather, pulling 150' of very cold mult out of a road case. It came like a big slinky, even if you over-under coiled it.
I think I miss those days...:lol:

Thanks for the memories:cool:

Sean...

I don't think NEC applies here, but it certainly violates codes about exposed uninsulated terminals, possibly on the use of flexible cord (though it would fit the "likely to be reconfigured" rule) and lack of support and strain reliefs on the cables. There may be issues in wire size, bundling, and fusing that I'm nor sure on.
/mike

Additional Extra credit questions:

1. Where was the left hand 96-channel test jig before it was there?
2. And where was it before that?
3. And what year was it installed there?
4. And who built it?
5. And why was it built?

ST

I'll take a stab at this!
1- Production Arts
2- BASH
3- 1988
4- Would love to know!
5- Testing HD touring racks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back