Conventional Fixtures What kind of Grease/Lubricant for...?

What kind of grease should I use on my old squeaky Source 4 yoke side bolts?
A machinist put me on to something he called "anti galling compound." He had this in a plastic 'squirt bottle' and cautioned "A little goes a long way!" This was about five years ago and, so far, so good. I think it was something he mixed up himself but I suspect a little Googling may turn up a commercial product.
EDIT: Google turned up many commercial products including at least one from Loc-Tite. There are specific compounds for specific metals. Galling of stainless steel hardware must be common as there were several products recommended for use with stainless. Brass was another commonly mentioned.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever encountered squeaky tilt knobs. Am I just that lucky?

They squeak when they've been over-torqued, at which point the best option is to replace them since they're ruined anyway.
In the case of a local group, theirs squeaked till they snapped their first bolt then had to drill it and use a reverse threaded extractor to remove the broken remnant. After that their friendly machinist, who's used to custom machining no longer produced turbine parts for Ontario Hydro, introduced them to his anti galling compound which ended their problem.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

In the case of a local group, theirs squeaked till they snapped their first bolt then had to drill it and use a reverse threaded extractor to remove the broken remnant. After that their friendly machinist, who's used to custom machining no longer produced turbine parts for Ontario Hydro, introduced them to his anti galling compound which ended their problem.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Of all the terrible broken things I've seen on lighting instruments, I've never seen that. Gold star to them for being original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anti-galling compound is used all over the power gen industry. It is used on all manner of threaded fasteners. Some is better than others in potentially high heat applications. For most theatre applications, plain ol' liquid graphite is still the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back