What makes you go OOOOOOO WOW when you see a lighting console

When you come across a new console, or a console that is new to you, what makes you go WOWZERS!!!! OOOOOO AHHHHH:!::!: what the SNAP is that???? THAT IS AN AMAZING LOOKING CONSOLE.

The biggest concern for me is how easy it is for me to use. The more time I have to spend learning a board, or thinking about technology the less likely I am to use it.

~Dave

Lots of screens. Complite Vector Red and/or Grand MA 2 is a good example of that. Metal construction with little/no plastic except for buttons is also nice. Chamsys MQ100/200/300 is a good example of that. Of course that has no bearing on whether I will purchase it just whether it looks cool.

Lots of screens. Complite Vector Red and/or Grand MA 2 is a good example of that. Metal construction with little/no plastic except for buttons is also nice. Chamsys MQ100/200/300 is a good example of that. Of course that has no bearing on whether I will purchase it just whether it looks cool.

That is exactly what I am looking for. When you see the console, does it make you want to investigate it to see if it is bad arse or not.

I personally love screens as well. Lots of good metal works that doesn't look cheap. I personally don't like plastic looking bodies of a console either.

The biggest concern for me is how easy it is for me to use. The more time I have to spend learning a board, or thinking about technology the less likely I am to use it.

~Dave

I have to agree with you on that as well Dave. When I first saw the grandMA and Maxxis I thought they looked cool, but being a hog user, I was scratching my head wondering what the heck all the buttons were for.

Like Dave, I'm much more concerned about functionality and ease of use over whether or not it looks "bad ass."

Depending on the intended audience, a certain amount of physical controls are a must.

To me a slick console would look like it's worth the money you've paid for it. There seems to be a trend these days toward gaudy, especially in the realm of digital sound consoles. First impressions are important, and since we are talking about a professional board I assume, and not a DJ board, it should look professional. I don't care how functional it is, my first impression is going to be bad if it looks like something a techno DJ tripped out on acid designed.

Depending on the intended audience, a certain amount of physical controls are a must.

To me a slick console would look like it's worth the money you've paid for it. There seems to be a trend these days toward gaudy, especially in the realm of digital sound consoles. First impressions are important, and since we are talking about a professional board I assume, and not a DJ board, it should look professional. I don't care how functional it is, my first impression is going to be bad if it looks like something a techno DJ tripped out on acid designed.

All I have to say to that is LMAO!!!!!

I agree with that as well. Something that screams excellence, but not....yo bro, I just got done getting completely wasted, and look what I cane up with.

I am certainly of the function over form camp. I don't care if the consoles comes in a homebrew wooden box if it does what I need it to do in an efficient way. I don't need to see a bunch of touch screens and LCDs. If the layout is logical, the system is relatively intuitive and it has the features that I need, who cares what it looks like.

In the same vane, I don't think that a good console has to have or appear to have a full metal chassis. Look at a console like the ETC Obsession II. If you have never picked up an OBII facepanel, you are lucky, they are friggin heavy. They look cool with the brushed metal face, but it is mostly unnecessary. 80% of laptops on the market today have plastic cases, take more abuse than a lighting console, look cool, and keep right on working.

I am certainly of the function over form camp. I don't care if the consoles comes in a homebrew wooden box if it does what I need it to do in an efficient way. I don't need to see a bunch of touch screens and LCDs. If the layout is logical, the system is relatively intuitive and it has the features that I need, who cares what it looks like.

In the same vane, I don't think that a good console has to have or appear to have a full metal chassis. Look at a console like the ETC Obsession II. If you have never picked up an OBII facepanel, you are lucky, they are friggin heavy. They look cool with the brushed metal face, but it is mostly unnecessary. 80% of laptops on the market today have plastic cases, take more abuse than a lighting console, look cool, and keep right on working.

On a side note Alex. How is your node treating you?

LED/LCD Screens... Honestly... I don't care how much information the console is capable of pumping out, if I have to constantly refer to somewhere else to find out what my soft keys are currently doing...
(Think Strand 500 Series)
Hell, even a 4-Char LED Matrix in the buttons. I've seen a few digital sound consoles that do this. Innovason's SY48/80 range sticks out in my head.

Also... Removable fader caps... Again, rooted in audio land... But when I'm running a show on the fly, I sometimes don't even have time to read the labels I wrote myself... If I want a blue wash, being able to grab that blue submaster would be handy... If I want red... That red submaster looks schnazzy... BUT When I'm in theatre mode, I want them all nice a jet black, uniform, and under the radar. :rolleyes:

Also, also... I want my console to be completely self sufficient... Aside from the lit-lites (should I choose to use them), nothing should be 'hanging off' the console...
It shouldn't need anything external, save monitors, power, ethernet and DMX.
I don't want a 'power brick'... I want to use that Euro cable I stole from the audio guys. :twisted:
I don't want to hook up a USB hub to plug in my keyboard, mouse, and thumb drive... There should be a built in Keyboard/Trackpad, and a usb port on the front or side for my thumbdrive... No fiddling around on the back where I can't see.

And finally... 'cause I'm picky... It better not weigh 100lbs either...

To sum up: If it's got built in LED/LCD panels or labelled keys... Looks 'self sufficient' and doesn't look like I need to hire 4 guys to move it... I'm in, where do I sign?!!!! :D

My two cents.

See also this thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/10657-most-popular-touring-console-2008-edition.html, post #14 and beyond.

FWIW, this is the last console whose physical appearance made me go OOOOOO WOW:
proxy.php

Before that it was this one:
proxy.php

http://www.pbase.com/paulpelletier/image/74456269
more for the pompous-sounding and self-important name than for the actual console.

Last edited:
Having a Leviton Status with no display screen and minimal control options,
when we rent a board, demo one or I come across a new one, a big thing I love is dual displays, and then once I get over it looking great I look to see what control features it has readily available and how simple the setup is to use.

A little reason we are getting the Element is because it has dual screen, well, not really a reason for getting it, but something that will come out of it. It gives the "Oh ****" effect :lol: This happens when something looks very complicated and if touched could break something, so it deters eager students, our little Status has no effect on people trying to touch it, But not a soul touched the Expression 3 we rented : P

Off topic-
Other "Oh ****" effect's-
cleverly arranging the wireless mic receivers antennas
The sound board and mixer itself
have a bunch of random wires connected to the sound board even if they aren't really doing anything.
The amp rack backstage being open, because it wont close if wires are protruding out of it, shows lots of wires.
Also signs such as,
Caution tape
High Voltage
It helps, really : P

Having a Leviton Status with no display screen and minimal control options,
when we rent a board, demo one or I come across a new one, a big thing I love is dual displays, and then once I get over it looking great I look to see what control features it has readily available and how simple the setup is to use.

A little reason we are getting the Element is because it has dual screen, well, not really a reason for getting it, but something that will come out of it. It gives the "Oh ****" effect :lol: This happens when something looks very complicated and if touched could break something, so it deters eager students, our little Status has no effect on people trying to touch it, But not a soul touched the Expression 3 we rented : P

Off topic-
Other "Oh ****" effect's-
cleverly arranging the wireless mic receivers antennas
The sound board and mixer itself
have a bunch of random wires connected to the sound board even if they aren't really doing anything.
The amp rack backstage being open, because it wont close if wires are protruding out of it, shows lots of wires.
Also signs such as,
Caution tape
High Voltage
It helps, really : P

heh, sounds a little pretentious to me
;)

I like them to have illuminated buttons, so when you see one in the pitch dark, you simply see the glow of the buttons. Im not emo or anything, but I do like the the whole thing to be dark and ominus. It shouldn't look friendly and inviting. I don't like small consoles too much, I like them to be spread out, and the soft keys with the LCD screens are another thing to make it look "sexier"

I'm against the removable faders, they are easily lost/stolen and it's annoying trying to find them.

I also have a large red button next to mine. It's rigged up to press go.

Nick

I like them to have illuminated buttons, so when you see one in the pitch dark, you simply see the glow of the buttons. Im not emo or anything, but I do like the the whole thing to be dark and ominus. It shouldn't look friendly and inviting. I don't like small consoles too much, I like them to be spread out, and the soft keys with the LCD screens are another thing to make it look "sexier"

I'm against the removable faders, they are easily lost/stolen and it's annoying trying to find them.

Nick

Nick,

I have to agree with you on the removable faders. I too often come across people calling me, and telling me that the faders from their console have fallen off due to transportation, or getting too excited on the next cue, and they slammed the fader so hard it hit Julia Roberts in the back of her head making her choke on her escargo....LOL.

I do love the illuminated buttons idea. That would be on hell of a sexy desk seeing it just faintly glowing, and not having any desk lamps that let people see who is running the lights...kind of like the Wizard from Oz :lol:.

I love everyone's ideas, and hopefully we will be seeing some of the recommendations some time in the future;) so keep them coming!!!

Nick

Right on :D
I want a desk that will get the job done and done good of course, but also, if I am going to stare at it for hours and days during the main season, then it better be sexy :cool:.
The bump buttons on the Status are illuminated but thats it besides the little LCD.

The GrandMA 2 has silent, dimmable, backlit keys. I feel like it looks a bit BA and ominous, like you might be running the lighting, but you might also be controlling some James Bond villain's lair from there too. Although, you probably could be, based on its capabilities... However, it fails the 100lb rule, coming in at 119 lbs. Also, painfully, it costs an arm, leg and firstborn, so getting one for my college was out of the question... I guess ill settle for an Ion. Actually, the Ion is a great board. It looks fairly neat and well put together, and has that nice blue-black type color scheme going on. I guess for me, the only boards that really make me go WOW!! are things like the GrandMA, and others with 4 internal screens and 2 externals. I feel like the EOS, while not bad looking, still lacks that "I have total command over this event" feeling that a huge, grey-black console commands. Anything that is not a dark grey, black, or blue just fails to excite me. However, I would rather have the simple to figure out Ion over a much more capable and BA looking console that I need to read the manual for a few weeks before i can get things turned on. Oh, and motorized submasters would be nice too. Pull up a new page, and the current settings pop up. I dislike the system for that used on the Congo Jr very much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back