What Now? Inventory...

Have you considered swapping out your PAR 64s with Source-4 PARs? It would save on lamps and storage of lamps. Also, do you need to purchase the entire S4 units or just get the needed lens tubes? What about adding a couple of zoom fixtures for when you need that "right size" gobo or special. I personally would add Fresnels, but that's because I like their quality of light for certain applications.

How are you on gobos? Ever think about adding some glass gobos (and requisite frames)?

[IMGL][/IMGL]
Have you considered swapping out your PAR 64s with Source-4 PARs? It would save on lamps and storage of lamps. Also, do you need to purchase the entire S4 units or just get the needed lens tubes? What about adding a couple of zoom fixtures for when you need that "right size" gobo or special. I personally would add Fresnels, but that's because I like their quality of light for certain applications.

How are you on gobos? Ever think about adding some glass gobos (and requisite frames)?

I have thought of swapping out our pars for S4 Pars and that might come next year... I'm going to purchase the extra bodies just to have the inventory, as it stands with a full hang we usually get down to one or two complete fixtures and a sacrificial unit for parts. Thought about zooms, may or may not add one or two to the order... I did make a mistake on the fresnel count. we have a total of 40, we had some let out and out of my inventory and I completely for got about them.

The company shares a common library of gobos and templates between all three venues, with a huge inventory gathered over the years. I have more than enough holders. just went shopping for tools, bought new multimetre, soldering iron, bunch of other good and well needed tools...

Right arms are nice. Although, I have never thought "I need a light that moves, but doesn't change color, change gobo, have a prism, remote focus, etc". Although I have converted a bit to the Gafftaper method (in theaters), and I agree that if you are only using them once a year or so then renting moving lights is probably the better option (which I always agree with, mostly because of my rental business, also of course that only holds true if you aren't being given the money and being told to spend it or else it goes away, in which case buy a few of your own), I think you are covered with your iCues as far as things that I would normally use a right arm for (unless you wanted to mount projectors to some), I normally use them interchangeably because if I want a moving unit, I also want it to have all the other features of a moving light. I like our Visioneer Spark90, Spark150, and Spark150i moving heads for theater use. We also have the Spark36 wash which is a powerful wash unit that also has graphics and chase abilities. But then again, I came up using movers in all kinds of theater (not just musicals) and have learned to incorporate them into straight plays, musicals, live music, basically anything.

To each their own.

I am used to using movers in all types of theatre shows, but there are some that seem to think the designers wouldn't be able to efficiently use them in the time that they get to program. basically, the schedule goes, 8 hours to hang on day 1, 8 hours to do initial programming and the rest of the programming time happens during rehearsals and even through invited previews. It's a tight schedule...

Right arms are nice. Although, I have never thought "I need a light that moves, but doesn't change color, change gobo, have a prism, remote focus, etc".
J

I think there is one thing you are missing. Have you ever thought " i need a light that moves and has a wide beam angle"

Thats where the Right Arm works well. I add a scroller and I have something that works in a space with low ceilings

The thing is factor the cost of a right arm ~1200 CAD last time i got a quote, and I can buy some used moving washes for less then that. I think our first foray into moving lights will be washes or something like a VL1000 with the superzoom can do a decent sub for a wash

You might want to consider 70 degree lenses instead of 90's. I had a couple of 90's and found them to be so wide they were almost useless. Do the photometric math and make sure there will still be a use able level of light at your throw distance and that they won't wash more of the stage than you need.

It may be too late but I would also throw out the idea of Selecon Pacific Zooms. They are really nice fixtures with fantastic optics (although I haven't seen if the quality has remained the same now that Strand makes them). Best of all with the special heat shield you can print a color transparency in your computer printer and throw it in as a gobo.

I'm going to go with 70's. From our boom positions they will cover more than enough of the stage.

I'm not a huge fan of the Pacific's. I can't be the only tech out there with a scar from that stupid heatsink... And the plastic does tend to break if handled a bit rough...

Ive had good success with printing color gobo's on Apollo Heat Shield with high durability Laser toners, I even had someone suggest using high temperature laminating covers over top of a printed transparency.

Alright, Part 2 of this question....

We run on a rotating capital plan, so 5 years ago someone decided that the dimmers should be replaced in 2013. The system is 2 CD80SV racks that will be 15 years old next september. Both racks are full, and I can't get anymore power brought into the building for another rack or two. Would you replace them? We bought 2 spare control and ramp cards, so if there is a failure we have the parts.
I see no reason to do the upgrade...

My thought is don't fix what ain't broke...

Although with the addition of the LED's, it might be good to look into getting a small amount of constant power modules (Or more used D/D modules you can turn into constant power).

... both contactor (relay) and continuous circuit modules are/were available.
According to this thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/29325-cd80sv-cc-modules-needed.html , WERE is the more accurate.

... Would you replace them? We bought 2 spare control and ramp cards, so if there is a failure we have the parts.
I see no reason to do the upgrade...
I wouldn't replace them until dependability issues arise or cost to repair exceeds cost of replacement. They're dimmer racks; it's unlikely there will be any new "must have" features developed any time soon, if ever.

No way of getting NonDims, the racks are CD80s. I might get a Powerdistro to hook into our LX company switch.
A roadhouse where I used to work had purchased a portable rack which we used the heck out of. It was perfect for adding circuits where we needed them on a regular basis. It also was used when we did extra events out of the main venue. If they have the money, and will allow it for this type of purchase (along with some mult cable), I totally would recommend doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back