What's an RFU?

MillburyAuditorium

Well, we are looking for a new light board and will either get an Express or Element if all goes as planned. And we found a church selling an Express for $2100, And the listing says "Comes with road case, vinyl cover, and RFU."
I do not really know what a remote focus unit does.

A little key pad (either corded or w/l) that you can call up dimmers and channels so you don't need someone sitting at the board during focus sessions.

Well, we are looking for a new light board and will either get an Express or Element if all goes as planned. And we found a church selling an Express for $2100, And the listing says "Comes with road case, vinyl cover, and RFU."
I do not really know what a remote focus unit does.

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/glossary-m-s/12303-rfu.html

The most common RFU for the Express is the wired version, and is most likely what's being offered by the church, thus you would need some sort of connecting cable from wherever your console ends up, to the most convenient plug in location for the RFU.

The used Express seemingly will also require you to purchase a monitor, but 15" or 17" LCD's are $120 or so.

The Element remote is the either the generic Radio Focus Remote (typically about $1800) device as used on the Eos and Ion, with the wireless functionality being extraordinarily useful. The Element also supports the Phone Remote, which allows pretty much any cordless phone to function as a remote. Then there's the $50 iPhone remote, but best check with ETC as to whether it works with Element, as it's not indicated on the website. iPhone requires either an iPhone or iTouch- iPod, as well as a WiFi router to be setup.

Does ETC still ship the RFU without the display on it? That one is less then useful. The one with a screen is ideal, one of the most useful accessories that comes with the board.

Oh, Alright. I was thinking that. But from what it looked like I wasn't sure. And this one doesn't have a display on it.

This one is a wired one, hundred foot cable or something.

And we would not need to buy the monitors because, being in a highschool there are hundreds of 18 inch monitors laying around everywhere :p

I was looking at that phone remote, looked pretty cool.

Oh, Alright. I was thinking that. But from what it looked like I wasn't sure. And this one doesn't have a display on it.

And we would not need to buy the monitors because, being in a highschool there are hundreds of 18 inch monitors laying around everywhere :p

I was looking at that phone remote, looked pretty cool.

Before you get your hopes up, confirm that your school is actually allowed to legally purchase used equipment, because many schools are not. :(

Yeah, I haven't even told anyone about it yet. Just told the guy we might think about it.
I am pretty sure the school needs to go through a company. BUT theres a way to get around that buy having the Drama club buy it. Thats were 90% of our funding comes from..

The only wired remote ETC ever made for the Express is the one pictured at RFU. It has an LCD display. Before that, for Expression I consoles, the RFU had an LED display. In fact, I don't know of any wired ETC RFU that doesn't have a display.

Last edited:
Slightly off-topic, but how much would the ETC Net3 RFR cost? My school may be getting an Element in the future, and a Radio Focus Remote would be great for times when I or others are focusing when there isn't someone available who knows how to work the board.

Last edited:
Slightly off-topic, but how much would the ETC Net3 RFR cost? My school may be getting an Element in the future, and a Radio Focus Remote would be great for times when I or others are focusing when there isn't someone available who knows how to work the board.

Somewhere around $1900.

Well for now we have no kind of RFU, just me running back and fourth :/
When we get a new board, my RFU will be the board that was replaced connected backstage :p

Well for now we have no kind of RFU, just me running back and fourth :/

Having to run to and from the board to focus is a pain, but I've gotten used to it, as there aren't too many people who know how to use our Innovator. (I think the Innovator actually has an RFU, but it would be kind of pointless for us considering we probably won't be using it for much longer (hopefully.))

Yeah, I try doing it with a fixed FOH electic :p Nice big probably unsafe ladder to boot. I usually turn all the foh spots on and focus them like that, but it kind of gets hot when I get to 16 :p

The Colortran lekos and fresnels get really hot really fast at full, so I've just gotten used to doing it all with gloves. If they've all been on at full for a while, it gets really hot up on the catwalks, even when the air conditioning is on.

The only time I will focus without gloves is if the fixture is a par or a Source Four Zoom (I love the focus assembly on those. It stays cool and I've found it to work much better then the Selecon Acclaim Zooms.)

Yeah, I just need to be careful if they are on and focusing. One good thing we have is that that our above stage electrics are on a counterweight system like out curtains so they come down to standing level so I can handle them from the stage. Bad thing about this is that there i a lot of bringing the electric up and down up and down because I cant see what it looks like from up high when it is down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back