Why not?

Amiers

Renting to Corporate One Fixture at a Time.
Why hasn’t anyone IE Super trooper or a Lycan or any of the other followspot designers, with an LED HID Corn Lamp

Am I missing something?

Some lamps even come with their own cooling fan now a days.

At 11-12” long size maybe an issue but if you reflect it like an elispodal then you only deal wit the 5” around size which they make them big enough to disperse the heat of the current lamp already.

Image for those that don’t know what a LED Corn Lamp looks like.
proxy.php

And of course the way an ERS works as well.

proxy.php

Discuss.

Why hasn’t anyone; IE Strong, Lycian, Robert Julliate or any of the other follow spot designers, brought a unit with an LED HID Corn Lamp to the market?

Am I missing something??

Some lamps even come with their own cooling fan now a days.

At 11-12” long size maybe an issue but if you reflect it like an elispodal then you only deal wit the 5” around size which they make them big enough to disperse the heat of the current lamp already.

Image for those that don’t know what a LED Corn Lamp looks like.
proxy.php

And of course the way an ERS works as well.

proxy.php

Discuss.
@Amiers Wouldn't the physical size of your "corn lamp" be problematic?
1; It's hardly a point source.
2; Wouldn't it create problems with its own shadow?
; You did request discussion. I'll ask my dumb queries and await your edification and elucidation.
4; Where were you when we needed a Question Of The Day for approximately a year???
@DELO72
Can you be enticed into contributing to this thread?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
The big follow spots are big enough to house it.

1. You are correct these lamps are a 360 degree lamp not point.

2. It might but I don’t know. A great question and I would also like to know if it would be an issue.

3. I did and no question is a dumb one in a why not thread.

4. Only mods get to post QOTD.

Basing a product around a retrofit product puts one at the mercy of another company. In this case they are typically low quality gear made by low cost makers.

The follow spot designers have to use lamps. So they are basing their fixtures around tungsten or arc as well.

So that’s kind of a moot point LED refit or not.

It would be as simple as changing the socket of the fixture to accept the lamp and rewiring around the ballast to accept 120v direct.

The refit could be done in house or direct from the manufacturer as an option.

If you prefer the question to change to be more direct.

Why aren’t follow spot manufacturers designing FS with the option to use LED HID lamps?

Traditional lamps are made by multiple companies to international standards. Corn row lamps are not.

I once had a space full of EC Parellipsphere fixtures. They were designed around a halogen retrofit. By 1987 only Thorn lamps would fit, but they had a early failure issue. Other brands changed their design to solve the problem, they still fit fixtures using the old incandescent, but then they no longer fit my lights.

With the advancements in LED technology I’m sure there are some companies following some specific standards.

I also can’t see all these manufacturers not doing this because a lamp hasn’t been set to a certain standard.

And

That said manufacturers haven’t dumped money into lamp RND to get something “standard” produced.

It's all about the point source. If you need a beam that is less than 1 degree wide (long throw spot), you will not achieve it with a defused source. In an ideal world, the source would be the size of the head of a pin. In the real world, we deal with the inefficiencies of focusing off the target area of a discharge lamp. In the LED world, you either have to use an LED that does not exist yet, or have a small cluster of very tight beam LEDs aimed to converge at a fixed point. The second method is where most are headed as the first method would require a yet to be imagined cooling system. All these things will come together at some point, but we can be sure that whatever route is chosen, it will not have a defused source.

Traditional lamps are made by multiple companies to international standards. Corn row lamps are not.

I once had a space full of EC Parellipsphere fixtures. They were designed around a halogen retrofit. By 1987 only Thorn lamps would fit, but they had a early failure issue. Other brands changed their design to solve the problem, they still fit fixtures using the old incandescent, but then they no longer fit my lights.
@RickR You're preaching to the choir and you have my FULL support. I too have baby-sat an aging inventory of both Electro Controls Parellipshere zooms as well as their matching series of fixed focus ellipsoidals. I believe EC's entire series were initially designed around Sylvania's lamps (EGJ's come to mind) originally marketed with tall slender clear glass tubes atop short ceramic bases. Sylvania abandoned the physical design in favor of a newer shape with an identical LCL but a much shorter clear glass enclosure atop a much taller porcelain base which would no longer pass through the hole in EC's glass reflector. Back in Christie Lites earliest days, when they were operating out of the rear of a music store via a narrow man-door down a trash filled back alley, my first Christie's salesman INSISTED the new line of GE lamps he was now flogging would MOST ASSUREDLY fit in my antique Ellectro Controls Para's and, over the phone, assured me any fault was on my part, that I HAD to be installing his pristine GE lamps incorrectly. I gave up pleading my case at my long distance expense, finally booked an appointment to drive through their narrow cluttered alley with one of my Para's in the rear of my 1970 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate wagon, I advised my salesman I'd be trapped in my wagon (as their alley was THAT NARROW) but assured him he'd find me parked in his alley immediately past his single man-door blocking traffic and with one of my Para's inside my electrically operated rear window at his specified time awaiting him to materialize and show me the error of my ways. I arrived slightly early, put her in park and sat listening to my radio. My salesman peeked out his narrow windowless door and I lowered my rear window. It was indeed an educational experience, but not for me as I sat there blocking traffic and watching my KNOWLEDGEABLE salesman fumbling and wasting my time. He eventually inquired if I'd mind waiting while he took my Para inside to educate Doug or Huntley personally. I enjoyed the delicious moment then and still do now that you've recalled it for me. Thanks @RickR for this afternoon's entertainment. I'm almost recalling my first Christie's salesman's name; this was long before Sani K. joined their team.
@DELO72 Are you mature enough to recall these lamps and their related issues??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Ok that I can get behind.

What if the fixture had a way to take the diffused source and turn it into a single focal point source before it hit the secondary lens to make it even tighter.

So reflector around the source to a converging lens to the secondary normal lenses.

Crude phone photoshopping.

8F7017D9-0E77-46FB-B499-DBC6A0C7E6F4.png

With the advancements in LED technology I’m sure there are some companies following some specific standards.

I also can’t see all these manufacturers not doing this because a lamp hasn’t been set to a certain standard.

And

That said manufacturers haven’t dumped money into lamp R&D to get something “standard” produced.
@Amiers Carbon manufacturers adopted and maintained rigorous dimensional and carbon content density standards when they came to manufacturing copper clad AC and DC carbons for Strong and Peerless lamp houses for the Trouper, Super and Gladiator follow spots as well as 16, 35 and 70 millimeter projectors. Shall we continue this divergence?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back