Wireless Hearing Assistance Devices/Telecoils?

I work for a University and we are looking at replacing our 21 year old HAD system with a newer option. We currently have a handful of Telex Soundmate Personal Listening Systems around for both fixed install and portable setups for high attendance events across our campus. Other than many of the receiver units being dead and hardly used, our worst complaint is that there is a hum broadcast over the signal, which is apparently very common in this model and at that frequency band.

My boss has mentioned something about Telecoils, a technology I know nothing about except for the few minutes of research I have done in the past few minutes. Most of these Telecoil systems appear to be mostly for hearing aids.

One reservation I have about them is that because they are not tied into a transmitter we host, someone could more easily walk off with one and continue to use it day to day, as opposed to a transmitter based product.

What do you all use for Hearing Assistance, if you use anything at all? (We are required by law)

Do any of you know about Telecoil systems and how well they work?

Thanks everyone!

When your boss mentioned telecoils, he is talking about an induction loop system that transmits signals to the telecoils in your patrons personal hearing aids. Induction loop was big in the 60's and 70's and fell out of favor, but is coming back now that many hearing aids have telecoils. It can be retrofitted, but can be fairly costly since you need to cut into the walls or floors to run the induction wire.

There are two other commonly used methods - IR and FM. I prefer FM systems, though if you are in a congested RF environment like a big city or are worried about the upcoming changes in RF spectrum allocation, IR might be a good option.

The two main manufacturers today of hearing assist equipment are Williams Sound and Listen Tech. They both have pretty good info on their websites for induction loop, RF, and IR systems.

Telecoils make sense to install as a venue is being built or remodeled. Otherwise, it would be difficult to install because the coils have to be concealed under flooring material, under seats, down aisles, etc.

The T-coils I used were neck loops. At that time they still required a receiver. The advantage of this style was that the users hearing aid was not removed from their ear. Allowed them to hear with their own hearing aid as opposed to using ear buds. Also gets rid of the sanitation issue of multiple users wearing the same ear buds over time. We eventually suggested each user buy their own ear buds.
IR systems were being promoted as a solution to privacy concerns. Meetings or events that had copyright issues like board meetings and courtrooms needed private communications for the hearing impaired. FM systems would go through walls and allow others to listen in not sure why or how, but you get the idea.

As mentioned, hearing loops can be costly. If you have a carpeted floor, it is possible to rip up the carpet, lay the loop wires out on the floor, and glue the carpet back down. Otherwise you're probably looking at cutting into the floor to embed the loop wire into it.

Induction hearing loops work on a person's existing hearing aid so long as the hearing aid is equipped with a t-coil. It's the Cadillac of hearing assist. You're giving a hard-of-hearing person the ability to hear the event as if they had perfect hearing, and without requiring them to wear an additional earpiece or personal neck loop. We have a demo kit we take around to places like churches and we'll lay a temporary loop out on the floor. Fastest way to sell a hearing loop is to have a handful of people with hearing aids try it out. They quickly become enamored with how it's as if they had their natural hearing back.

Personal neck loops work on the same principle. User has an FM or IR receiver beltpack with a loop of wire they wear around their neck. The neck provides the induction loop for their hearing aid. Issue with personal neck loops is mostly that you have to dispense them to your attendees, and some people feel too embarrassed either to ask for one or feel singled out as disabled by having this extra device that makes them different from everyone else in the room.

If you install an induction loop, you would still be required by ADA to have additional receiver devices for people who do not have hearing aids with t-coils but are hard of hearing. Size of our venue will dictate how many you would need.

For example, a 1200-seat venue might require 39 assistive listening devices, 10 of which must be hearing-aid compatible. If you have an induction loop installed, you would not need the 10 hearing-aid compatible receivers, but you would still need 39 receivers total, probably with earphones for you users without t-coil hearing aids.

Whatever you do, please understand that an installed hearing loop for your venue would mean you'd still need to offer a number of personal induction loop receivers that your users without t-coil compatible hearing aids would be able to use.

There are two other commonly used methods - IR and FM. I prefer FM systems, though if you are in a congested RF environment like a big city or are worried about the upcoming changes in RF spectrum allocation, IR might be a good option.

The spectrum reallocation won't touch FM frequencies in the least.

If it is a permanent install, IR is easy enough to set up and forget about. If you don't have a good installer, then you can end up with phasing issues with the IR and other little issues. Sound Associates out of NYC is well known for the quality of their ALD installs.

I absolutely love FM for venues that frequently change, you can set it and forget it and it'll cover the venue. I have high praise for the Williams sound FM Personal PA (http://www.williamssound.com/fm-transmitters). You can get a receiver that you can plug headphones in to, and you can get induction loop necklaces that will take the FM signal and throw it into the patrons hearing aids.

IR and FM systems are the cheapest to install, as previously mentioned.

Do you actually have people request assistive listening receivers currently? They're required by ADA in many venues, however in our experience they are almost never actually requested by audience members. The units just sit gathering dust at the box office.

Do you actually have people request assistive listening receivers currently? They're required by ADA in many venues, however in our experience they are almost never actually requested by audience members. The units just sit gathering dust at the box office.

Totally depends on your patron base -- I routinely need more than the 30 I have for a 350 seat venue. However, ADA minimum isn't something you can fight.

Also, depending on the type of shows you have, some will use IR for the stage manager's camera which can cause a lot of static in the feed.

I've never had an IR emitter mess with quality IR transmitters in the 100+ shows I've done with both of those elements in play.

I've got Wagner(-compatible) 72MHz in my house. Can I get just the induction neck-loops to plug into those, or do they require special drive, and hence special receiver versions?

Later today I'll be designing an induction loop for a church in my area. We do several of these installations every year.

Rarely are these new construction situations so you have to learn new tricks like using a magnet to pull the wire under installed carpet or removing molding, routing it and replacing it with with the wire in place, etc.

Am I wrong, or does that only work with their receiver, which has two jacks? The receivers we already have, of course, only have one. And it's mono.

Am I wrong, or does that only work with their receiver, which has two jacks? The receivers we already have, of course, only have one. And it's mono.

You are not wrong. That product is for their Intelligent DSP line of products. They do have personal neck loops for more general purpose, but I cannot comment on their compatibility with systems from other manufacturers.

I highly suggest getting in contact with the respective manufacturers to borrow some demo units. The opera house I worked with over the summer is looking into a similar upgrade from their 15+ year old Sennheiser IR system. They were able to get a miriad of options from both Sennheiser and Listen. Additionally, a company came out and taped an induction loop around our house for a couple days. Our two most important factors were audio quality and price, and I believe the newer Sennheiser IR and Listen iDSP RF were our best options. The induction loop was potentially messy and while convenient for those with t-coil-equipped hearing aids, the quality was not good compared to the other units. The Sennheiser RF was of excellent quality, but very cost prohibitive. The cheaper Listen IR sounded similar to the induction loop and our current aging system with a narrow frequency range.
Seeing as these units will need to travel across campus and used with portable setups, I would keep with the RF. Not sure if you deal with outdoor events, but IR does not do well with direct sunlight. As Mike mentioned, regardless of what you choose you'll need to pickup some induction neck loops to be ADA compliant.
Despite the rush, do your research and try a few systems. It'll pay off in the long run.

The rush was mostly to get a grasp on the situation to report to the higher ups. We are about to go through a massive renovation where we would probably install the induction loop system, but as we are a mobile option, and will be until the renovation is complete, I suspected we would just need a better RF system than the ones we currently possess. Knowing that demo units are easier to come by then expected, we will most likely do that for our permanent loan system at the on campus Center for the Arts.

Are the ADA rules primarily for fixed install, or is the induction loop/hearing aid compatible system required for all setups? Or is the neck loop a system that takes the RF and makes it a personal induction system to work with the Telecoil hearing aids?

Is it possible that we could run a loop for a completely temporary option?

Also, for an athletic facility that seats 8,000+, would you all still probably recommend RF with an upgraded antenna?

Thanks again for all of your insights. You have made this process make much more sense to both my coworkers and myself.

Are the ADA rules primarily for fixed install, or is the induction loop/hearing aid compatible system required for all setups? Or is the neck loop a system that takes the RF and makes it a personal induction system to work with the Telecoil hearing aids?

Is it possible that we could run a loop for a completely temporary option?

Also, for an athletic facility that seats 8,000+, would you all still probably recommend RF with an upgraded antenna?

Thanks again for all of your insights. You have made this process make much more sense to both my coworkers and myself.

Here are ADA rules:
219 Assistive Listening Systems
219.1 General.
Assistive listening systems shall be provided in accordance with 219 and shall comply with 706.

219.2 Required Systems. In each assembly area where audible communication is integral to the use of the space, an assistive listening system shall be provided.

EXCEPTION: Other than in courtrooms, assistive listening systems shall not be required where audio amplification is not provided.

219.3 Receivers. Receivers complying with 706.2 shall be provided for assistive listening systems in each assembly area in accordance with Table 219.3. Twenty-five percent minimum of receivers provided, but no fewer than two, shall be hearing-aid compatible in accordance with 706.3.

http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/2010ADAStandards/2010ADAstandards.htm#pgfId-1010597
-----
So, they don't care if it is fixed or not fixed, if you have a PA system in, you need ALD's. It is possible to run a loop for something completely temporary, but the work involved in setting it up makes it not worth it. A poorly designed loop will phase cancel itself and generally be a shoddy option -- no replacement for a properly designed fully installed and secured loop.

For an athletic facility that seats 8,000 I would use a high power RF model. I use RF in a 2,000 seat venue currently without any issues - I have a feeling it would hit 8k seats no problem. With an 8,000 seat venue you need 115 regular receivers and 29 hearing aid compatible receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back