Wiring a street lamp

Txtech

We're doing a production of Flowers for Algernon and I'm working on wiring a street lamp that will go to a wall socket by splicing it to an extension cord with the female end removed so it can just plug into a wall. I've already got a switch in the circuit from where the wires from the light meet the wires from the cord and that's all wire nutted together and good, but the lamp has a ground wire, and I'm not sure what to do with it. My colleague is convinced that we need to connect it to the metal lamp post thy goes to a wooden base to ground it, but I'm thinking that's a mistake. Any help on what to do with the ground wire is much appreciated.

I'd agree that the ground wire should be bonded to the metal part of the lamp, and I'd go nearest the socket assembly as you can. If the lamp is painted or powder coated, make sure you get the patch where you drive the ground screw (or rivet) down to bare metal.

It's kind of hard to envision since you have a switch connected because it also depends on what kind of switch you're using and where it falls in the equation.

The switch is wired in because an actor is supposed to turn it off. He rests his hand on it for a minute and then turns it off. The cord I used is only two prong, but that's just because it's the only one I had on hand that was already missing the female end. When I get back in on Monday I'll find an old three prong cord to cut up and use.
Also, I thought that grounding a wire was connecting it to a sink in case of any surges. The lamp sits on top of a metal lamppost with no insulation between them, so would it be unsafe to attach the ground to the lamp or lamppost, since actors will be touching it?

The switch is wired in because an actor is supposed to turn it off.

The usual practice is to give the actor a prop and have the practical, in this case a street light, controlled by the board op. it is safer for everybody and a little less stress for all involved.

Last edited:
The ground wire is there in case something goes wrong with the internal wiring of the lamp or ballast to safely dissipate the voltage to the ground instead of dangerously discharging when someone completes the circuit with their body. Tools and appliances with a metal case have the ground wire attached to the case to keep the case from being something dangerous if the internal wiring is damage and comes in contact with the case.

Congratulations, you've passed the threshold on the disclaimer test.

ControlBooth Safety Policy said:
ControlBooth shall not be responsible for damage, injury or death resulting in any information posted on ControlBooth. When in doubt, always consult a qualified professional in person.

If you don't understand why it's important to ground a metal lighting fixture or how to achive that, then it's time for some hands on time with someone who does...

I concur with Chris15,
Do not do this yourself, find a qualified professional.

I agree with Joshua concurring with Chris15. Get someone to work with you on this.

With that as a caveat...Now, as for the actual fixture. Does it actually have a ground cable in the leads? If so, you may want to put a connector on the leads and attach a complete extension cable to it (that way you don't have to worry about wire nutting bare leads). It makes things cleaner and safer. From the original post, it sounds like you have an actual Street Lamp, which would have a ground cable as part of the ballast system. If you just have a simple fixture that isn't grounded (like from a household floor lamp) then maybe you will want to find a better fixture that HAS a ground lead. Another poster mentioned keeping the actor from turning the light off by a switch...I disagree from an artistic point of view because there is ALWAYS a lag between actions taken by 2 different people. That being said, you are putting an actor in charge of an electrical device you have wired. Is it safe for that actor to use without the potential for hurting themselves or others? This is where a properly grounded fixture comes into play. If the fixture isn't grounded and there is an electrical fault, electricity will ALWAYS try to find the easiest path to ground, (and taking into account all of the jokes concerning actors not being very grounded...) that may very well be THROUGH the actor. Not good.

Please consider very carefully utilizing an electrical device you are not fully knowledgable about. Please get help with this device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back