Wybron CXI settings

xander

So the Wybron CXI has a Move Speed option and a Time-to-Destination option. How do they relate? You have the choice between LOW and HIGH for MvSp; and ON and OFF for TmCh. Let's assume the the TmCh is OFF for starters, how does the setting of the MvSp affect the speed of the scroller? How does it relate to the actual timing of the cue? In other words, if the scroller needs to move in a cue that has a attribute fade time of 10 seconds, how does each MvSp affect this timing? Shouldnf't it be 10 seconds, regardless? Then, how does the TmCh add into it? If you are using the Time-to-Destination feature, does it override cue fade times? Is it a sort of highest (or lowest) takes precedence kind of thing? Does it depend on the desk?

I load in shows with CXIs quite frequently and I find that nobody really understands all of these intricacies, including me. Who can enlighten me?

BUMP

Is my question confusing? Is it boring and nobody wants to comment? Or is it just that nobody really knows?

So the Wybron CXI has a Move Speed option and a Time-to-Destination option. How do they relate? You have the choice between LOW and HIGH for MvSp; and ON and OFF for TmCh. Let's assume the the TmCh is OFF for starters, how does the setting of the MvSp affect the speed of the scroller? How does it relate to the actual timing of the cue? In other words, if the scroller needs to move in a cue that has a attribute fade time of 10 seconds, how does each MvSp affect this timing? Shouldnf't it be 10 seconds, regardless? Then, how does the TmCh add into it? If you are using the Time-to-Destination feature, does it override cue fade times? Is it a sort of highest (or lowest) takes precedence kind of thing? Does it depend on the desk?

I load in shows with CXIs quite frequently and I find that nobody really understands all of these intricacies, including me. Who can enlighten me?

Seeing how this thread has had no replies thus far, I will take a stab at it. I preface this post with the fact that I have only seen these units at tradeshows, I do not own one, nor have I programmed one in real life. I am basing my information on the manual and general understanding of DMX devices. [Insert Grain of Salt Here]

Starting off with the manual:
Page 19 said:
Gel Move Speed Options:
High - default
Low
Time/Dest - control remotely via assigned DMX channel
This leads me to believe that you have a choice of either High, Low, or Time To Destination (TTD). In my reading of the manual, that means that you can set the speed that the scrolls move to a predefined high speed (set by default), a predefined low speed, or a definable speed using an additional DMX address.

Page 26 said:
TTD Info (Time to Destination information)
A. Gel Time to Destination DMX Address — use the [UP] and [DOWN] buttons to select the desired DMX address.
i. If this function is enabled, this feature controls the time it takes to
arrive at the destination gelstring position after the new destination
command is sent.

ii. The DMX address for this feature can also be set at the alternate
display “DMX Address: DMX Addresses: Time/Dest Addr”.
iii. For quietest gelstring movement, select the longest time possible.
iv. Information Only
Displays DMX levels to be used at the lighting console to program
specific timings using Gel Time to Destination.

[Emphasis added by starksk]
Looking at the first point (emphasized for clarity) it would appear that the scroll will attempt to use the defined timing (or High/Low timing) to move the scroll after it has received a new level. This leads me to believe that if you set the scroller to a color in a cue using a zero time for this example, and have not changed this speed from the default "High" setting then it will try to scroll as fast as that defined "high" setting allows to get to the new color. If you are using "low", then it will take a longer time from when you sent that command for the scroll to reach the new frame because it is using the "low" speed timing. If you have TTD enabled, it will take the amount of time that you set for it to reach the new frame position.

Because the fixture seems to be doing the calculations of time needed to move based on these settings, I would expect that each change in a value would follow those same guidelines. Thus if your example of a 10 second color fade were used, I would expect that each step of the fade would be affected by the speed setting. A speed of High would most likely result in the unit attempting to get to each new DMX value with no delay (and probably the more accurate fade to your console's timing). The Low speed would try to slow each step of the fade and take the predefined amount of time to get to each step, and the TTD would do the same with you having the ablilty to control that timing.

In a theatrical setting where a console is providing timing, I would suggest that you not use the move-speed settings unless you are programming to another device that is only going to play back snapshots of each cue. Alternately, you could use the on-board timing and set your color attribute times to 0 on the console.

I would expect to see the most benefit of the move speed settings in a situation where you are using a device such as a Preset-10 or other device that plays back static looks with little to no crossfade timing. There you might want to control the speed of the scroll at the unit because you are not providing timing externally.

Finally, to add more confusion to the mix, the manual has conflicting reports on timing settings for TTD. I would tend to believe the chart on page 19 over the chart on page 26, but I will let you be the judge. Both are below:

Page 19 said:
TIME TO DEST INFO ONLY
95-100%: Hi
90-94%: Low
85-89%: 80 sec
80-84%: 70 sec
75-79%: 60 sec
70-74%: 50 sec
65-69%: 40 sec
60-64%: 35 sec
55-59%: 30 sec
50-54%: 25 sec
45-49%: 20 sec
40-44%: 15 sec
35-39%: 10 sec
30-34%: 9 sec
25-29%: 8 sec
20-24%: 7 sec
15-19%: 6 sec
10-14%: 5 sec
5-9%: 4 sec
0-4%: ASAP
[TD]
Page 26 said:
CXI IT Gelstring Time Table
DMX Level: Time to Destination
0-4% As Soon As Possible
5-9% greater of: 1 sec or ASAP
10-14% greater of: 2 sec or ASAP
15-19% greater of: 3 sec or ASAP
20-24% 4 sec
25-29% 5 sec
30-34% 6 sec
35-39% 7 sec
40-44% 8 sec
45-49% 9 sec
50-54% 10 sec
55-59% 11 sec
60-64% 12 sec
65-69% 13 sec
70-74% 14 sec
75-79% 15 sec
80-84% 16 sec
85-89% 17 sec
90-94% 18 sec
95-100% 19 sec
[/TD]

~Kirk

... In a theatrical setting where a console is providing timing, I would suggest that you not use the move-speed settings ...
I think Kirk is exactly right in his analysis. And I will admit to never having having noticed before, I just set the address and used them.
I suspect this is the same as using moving lights that have "M-speed" channels. In almost every case, the M-speed should be set to "follow DMX" and never altered. The only exception is when a very smooth movement is required, and then the value of the changing parameter must be given a time of zero in order for the movement to not be erratic. One of the reasons it's never come up is I've never done live fades with CXIs, as the transitions between colors cannot allow for smooth color fades. (Hence the ColorFader, which actually predated the CXI.)

I used to fight this often with people who insisted on MAC500s and 600s that mode4 was "better," even though mode2 was the Expression default, used less channels, and people using mode4 didn't know how to use or take advantage of the additional speed channels.

On the other hand, I've programmed fixtures (Xenotechs with up to 600' throw) where the speed channels HAD to be used, as P/T movements following DMX were especially ugly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back