Young singers how to mic?

JLNorthGA

Our facility is currently hosting a summer camp for children. They are doing some musical numbers for their performances. Being young, not all of them have strong voices or the ability project enough (even for our small playhouse).

I wish I had some wireless microphones, but that will be in later budgets. Which got me to thinking - what other alternatives do I have to mic the children? They are currently picking up and using wired microphones. Next year, I would like something better. Would a shotgun microphone work for this application? I could easily mount them in the "light bays (or coves)". Would a parabolic microphone work? Should I just wait for a set of wireless microphones?

Something like a pair of PCC Series mics from Crown on the edge of the stage. Possibly two or three SM58s on stands, and when the kids walk up to sing, they can use those. Summer camp age, sounds like, to me, wireless is a bad idea. To expensive and hard to keep safe, IMO.

Something like a pair of PCC Series mics from Crown on the edge of the stage. Possibly two or three SM58s on stands, and when the kids walk up to sing, they can use those. Summer camp age, sounds like, to me, wireless is a bad idea. To expensive and hard to keep safe, IMO.

I second chausman's suggestion. I've tried using overhead mics and they are more trouble than they are worth. Shure MX202B C Black, cardioid mini-condenser overhead microphone with 30 foot cable and in-line pre-amp. | Full Compass

I bought some pcc border/floor mics like chase mentioned, they've been used mostly for our children's theatre shows and theyve had singing. Those have been more than enough and made a great difference. Easy and pick up on them is great

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I would also suggest using the PCC floor mics. We use them for dance recitals to pick up taping, at BOE meeting as table mics to pick up what the members are saying, and sometimes we also use them for our musicals. They work very well. Also I agree with Chase, wireless microphones for such young children are probably not the best idea.

Ill third the floor mics, or if your on a budget just some 58's on stands. Depending on how well the kids are trained, Id stay away from lavalier wireless, but standard wireless dynamics should be ok, as their generally preety tough. No big reason to use wireless though, unless you really really REALLY hate cables.

If you're on a budget some SM58s would be fine, but if the money is there I would say it is worth the investment for PCC floor mics. They will pick up a lot more than an SM58 will. They can also probably used for other events that you have in your facility.
We specifically use the PCC160s, however that means also having to get TA3F to 3-Pin XLR Microphone Cable.

I would not to be redundant fourth the crown floor mics. Our school district does a ton of elementary school singing plays and the crown mics work great. There quite directional and They have also proven to be pretty bullet proof except for the connector. The only drawback is noise from feet banging on the ground.

Compare the Bartlett TM-125 against the PCC-160. The company is founded by the guy that designed the Crown PZMs.

Bartlett Microphones floor mics and instrument clip on mics - home

On that note, get the TM-125C. You never have to deal with that blasted mini connector. I wish that thing would just get purged from society. The finally took it off the SM91 when they built the Beta 91A. Now, all that need to happen is crown need to change to the hard wired or XLR and then I will never have to deal with that cable again!

An easy way around it is a sheet of neoprene under the PZM/Boundary mic. The cheapest fix for that is simply use a Mousepad. Then, engage the low-cut on the board for that mic (since no kid's voice will go below 440). Cuts out the rumble and the footfalls.

The utility of PCC16s and the like can vary greatly. In our very lively room, a not of spill gets back to the mics. In this situation, the mics are good for adding a bit of articulation to a strong soloist or a decent ensemble. For a wimpy bunch of kids (or adults), not much can be done to help. Hopefully, your room is a lot less troublesome.

I've mic'ed middle school orchestra and choir. The 6th grade choir kids have very weak voices in general. Here's what I do --

Condensor mics for the solos, not dynamic. Novice singers don't know how to sing close to the mic, so if you want to pick them up from 6-12 inches away from the mic, you will need a condenser. And in the off chance you get a good singer, you'll pick up more of the timbre. I use a pair of AT2050s, but AT2035 or AT2020 should do about the same. Light compression on the solo mics.

For choir area mics I use pairs of Behringer C2s, at $50/pr. For your application I would place them on low stands on the front of the stage, no more than 6 feet apart. Get the kids to stand within 5 feet of the line of mics and you'll get very good, even pickup. If you are short on input channels you can even Y these together in pairs. I have no phase issues whatsoever with this setup.

I've been doing this for four years now and the above works great for the level of talent. I use much better mics on percussion and jazz and can hear the difference, but for the general kids stuff these work just fine. I record everything in 24-bit WAV to hand over to the videographer for making the DVDs to sell to the parents. They are billed as "professionally recording" and sound great at home on my Blue-ray player and surround system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back