Your worst theatre injury

At the end of a long (very long) day I stepped out of a genie that I was convinced was at floor level. It wasn't. Fell 10 - 12 feet. Amazingly I got up and walked away and did my back in half an hour later lifting one stage weight.
Connected?
Probably.

I know this is an old post but I have to ask. How do you just "step out" of a genie? I assume one side isn't just left open?

I know this is an old post but I have to ask. How do you just "step out" of a genie? I assume one side isn't just left open?

Most lifts have some sort of gate on one side to make them easier to get in/out of. On Genie (and IIRC, JLG) AWPs, the mid-rail on one side slides up to the top rail, and you climb between it and the toeboard. Many places find that sliding rail to be a hassle, and will keep it tied up to the top rail to keep it out of the way. I've also seen some lifts where the bar is just plain broken. But even when that bar is intact and functioning properly, climbing in and out of a lift can become such a natural motion that you do it without thinking about it, at which point it just takes a momentary mental vacation to do it while the platform is up.

But then I imagine it still takes a lot of effort and some thought to have an accident like that. You still have to squeeze between the bars. You likely have to duck from the top one because they're probably not up to human height. I'm maybe missing something but all I can picture is somebody intentionally getting out from the small space between the bars. It's just a weird accident to have done to yourself unintentionally.

At the end of a long (very long) day I stepped out of a genie that I was convinced was at floor level. It wasn't. Fell 10 - 12 feet. Amazingly I got up and walked away and did my back in half an hour later lifting one stage weight.
Connected?
Probably.

Notice Logos said it was at the end of a very long day. It was that momentary mental vacation, like ajb said. Just another example of why working long hours can be dangerous. When you are tired, you don't process things as quickly or clearly.

I've done the same thing. I was only 3-4 feet up, luckily, but it still messed up my back.

Well I managed to burn myself on a soldering iron and cut my finger on the same project (both involving not enough time/sleep/help). First wasn't too bad, later required liberal application of super glue to get it to stop bleeding enough I could go back to work.

Not really a long-lasting injury, but super-glued my hand and glasses to my forehead, along with 1 eye closed along the way. Can only really blame myself, I felt I was so smart by not pointing it at my face, but I still had my face about 16mm from the work surface (re-attaching some wind filters to headset mics) when it splashed up. It was an interesting run to the nearest sink past wayyyy too many people who would later mention this mishap at every possibility.

No big accidents to speak of, but my disregard for OSHA would get me fired from a real theatre:) Dizzy sick in a suspended ceiling off the catwalk is always fun :p

It was more funny than anything because of the way I was sick. Looking back It's a miracle I didn't put my foot in the wrong spot and fall through.

Well...ummm...this morning I grabbed a runaway rope and got lifted into the air. I have third degree ropeburns on my hands....

Well...ummm...this morning I grabbed a runaway rope and got lifted into the air. I have third degree ropeburns on my hands....

What on earth possessed you to do that? Regardless of the damage it may have done, I would never have even thought of doing that - let it go!

Third degree burns? So...you're in the hospital...right???

I thought anyone working on the fly system is trained to warn instead of stop.
If they were trained properly there likely wouldn't have been a runaway situation in the first place.
Well...He probably won't be doing that again in the near future. :) And, what training? The first time I used a fly system at a local high school, the extent of training was "call it when you fly anything in or out, put your foot under that piece of metal, release the brake, and keep it moving slowly." Seriously. By the way, the guy who was training us for that, no longer works there. AND, that won't be the high school I will go to when I start next year. :twisted:

And, what training?

I don't remember ever having any training...though at my high school the only reason I use the fly system is to fly the projector screen in and out before or after an assembly.

Possibly the worst theatre injury I have sustained I got while not actaully doing anything out of the ordinary. It was the day after Thanksgiving (2010) and we were just running a normal work call before starting tech. I was just coming up the stairs to the stage and probably tripped or stumbled and injured my knee. I was literally floored, couldn't really move m knee.

Luckily I have a friend who is an Orthopedic Surgeon so I went to see him. Originally he thought it was a torn meniscus, but the diagnosis changed after getting an MRI. However, the whole process of diagnosis and treatment has been quite the adventure dealing with Workers Comp. It took almost four weeks to get the MRI approved.

At least at this point I am doing better and they don't think that I need surgery. However, I have been in PT twice a week for over a month and I am only just starting to get back to full mobility of my knee. I still have some pain and I now have to re-teach myself to walk correctly since I have been compensating for so many weeks. It has been a slow and very annoying recovery process. Thankfully I have a great crew working for me that has been able to pick up the slack since there there things that I cannot do myself currently (like climb ladders).

The most important thing to remember is that even the most simple and every-day tasks can be hazardous, so pay attention to what you are doing. I have probably gone up and down those stairs thousands of times, but one misstep has taken quite a toll.

Ok, I haven't been on the boards in AWHILE, but I HAD to let you guys know about this one:
Along with theatrics I also skate roller derby. In an effort to marry the two for speedier set up, I strapped on my quads and became the girl with the clipboard at a state-wide high school competition. I had my gear on, thank god, because I came out of a turn too fast in the shop, hit sawdust and flew into the lumber racks.
Black eye, gashed chest & thigh, ripped clothes, sprained ankle. I hobbled around the rest of the day in costume-shop clothes.
I was ridiculed relentlessly at the awards ceremony, too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back