Aquiring Sound Inventory...

DuckJordan

Touring IATSE Member
So I have about $200 to spend and would like to get some inventory going. Fortunatly I am using my own money so I am okay with used equipment. So my question is, I am looking to start building inventory to be able to host small events such as small garage band local things. Right now i have about 5 XLR cables and enough tools to easily last me for about 2 years. So I would like to know what you would buy if you had about $200 and wanted to buy some more sound inventory.

Remember Used equipment counts.

$200 isn't a hlot of room. At this budget, you're looking at either buying some basic mics, or cables, or maybe a mixer. Its hard to say, considering all we know is you have tools and 5 XLRs. If that is all you have, I'd suggest waiting until you can afford more.

BUT, my 0.04 cents, I'd buy some Shure SM58's (you might be able get 2. I can get them for about $90 a piece). I might also invest in some more XLRs in 25' and 50' lengths. At the moment, If i had $200 to spare, I'd buy a TC Electronics M300 fx unit to replace some old noisy lexicon boxes.

Like I said, $200 isn't much in the industry, even if you have access to dealer pricing and at cost prices. Don't discount the ability to rent equipment yourself to do a gig. You don't have to do maintenance or spend money to upgrade. I've learned that it's not your equipment that will get you the gigs, it's your talent and ability to do a good job in a professional manner. Thats just what I learned.

Can you clarify your situation? For example, it might help to know if this is a new functionality being added for an existing system or a new system. If an existing system, what do you already have as far as speakers, processing, a mixer, effects, direct boxes, monitors, mics, stands, etc.?

Can you clarify your situation? For example, it might help to know if this is a new functionality being added for an existing system or a new system. If an existing system, what do you already have as far as speakers, processing, a mixer, effects, direct boxes, monitors, mics, stands, etc.?

This is a completely new system, Speakers not required as i have access to speakers and the correct amp for said speakers.

Go to your local music store that is not guitar center and see if they have any used and abused gear laying around. For 200 bucks you can barely get a 4 channel behringer mixer. For 200 bucks you can probably pick up 2 mics and a mixer with a dead channel or two. What are you trying to achieve here? To have a working system or a starting place?

Just a starting place, more money is coming but i was just seeing what people would suggest getting started with, And as far as mixers go i barely lost an ebay auction on a 12 channel mackie with case and a really old and abused shure mic, board completely worked according to the seller. missed it at $155

This is a joke, right? $200 will get you a small inventory of gaff tape, maybe with enough left over for a box of Sharpees. Don't you have a light rig (or maybe I'm confusing you with someone else)? Buy some clamps and safety cables or shackles and spansets and call it a day.

This is a joke, right? $200 will get you a small inventory of gaff tape, maybe with enough left over for a box of Sharpees. Don't you have a light rig (or maybe I'm confusing you with someone else)? Buy some clamps and safety cables or shackles and spansets and call it a day.

I'll respond with some actual facts: I am not looking for lighting equipment. I am not looking for gaff tape, and not sharpies. I have a fairly decent supply of such, and I'm not looking for top of the line stuff. This is personal Inventory. Too many people on here believe if you can't outfit your whole setup its not worth spending the money on something. So you can either be a hindrance or a help on this and suggest one or two mics as someone else has done, or recommend a smaller board that would be decent at the price. I know $200 dollars isn't a lot of money but when your a college student slowly getting his own rig why would I have a ton of money to spend. So instead of laughing at the posts and losing the whole point of the thread try helping out once in a while.

Also again not looking for lighting equipment as I found equipment I can use (friend is setting up his own lighting inventory and were putting a deal together for costs of use of each others equip).

So while $200 dollars is a small amount it still gets a small start. I was looking for opinions on mics that people like to use that are in the price range. This does not have to be a working rig right away. I was looking to about 2-3 years ahead. Also I would like to add that wireless is not necessary. In fact, I would like to avoid it if at all possible.

I think the issue is getting a start for what? What are your long term goals? You didn't say what speakers and amp you have but what else do you envision needing in order to have a viable system for your intended applications? Would spending the money on a few cheap mics, a couple of decent mics or one good mic serve you better in the long run? Getting a cheap, used mixer on eBay may make sense if this is for your own personal use but if your plans require equipment that is reliable or acceptable to others, then investing in such equipment may not make sense.

You mentioned a bar band and in that case you might want to look at the "Quick and Dirty Bar Rig" at Bennett Prescott, Audio Industry Professional for some ideas of what would be part of a typical bar band rig. In addition to the mains and related amps, I'm thinking along the lines of a minimum of a 16-24 channel mixer, a variety of mics, mic stands, probably some more cables, a couple of DIs, two to four monitor wedges and amp(s) for them, some basic effects and dynamic processors, an EQ or system processor, etc. And I've worked with 'bar bands' that because of the number of instruments and band members required around 20 mics, 30 inputs, multiple effects units and five or six monitors. This is why it is important to think in terms of the final goals, getting a great deal on a 12 channel mixer doesn't matter if the planned use will routinely require 16 or more channels. Having a bunch of cheap mics won't help if no one will accept them. And the great deal you got on mic stands won't matter if they can't hold up a mic after a use or two.

So before addressing how to spend the $200 it would help to know what you are trying to do and how that would fit into the long term goals and plans. Or one could go in a very different direction and suggest that the $200 might best be invested in something like this, SynAudCon :: Level 100 Online Courses :: Fundamentals.

Sorry i must have forgotten this, its for personal use for friends only especially since it will be with a friends band that will end up using it the most. Its a small band who most of which couldn't comprehend anything about mixing so, they have five members. A vocalist, two guitarists, a bass player and a drummer. Throw out a mixer as i am currently figuring that out with another member. I am looking for the long run medium level mics, as far as cables go i wouldn't buy any since i have a bunch of bulk 3 wire cable (audio Grade) and a bunch of XLR connectors and i am very handy with a soldering iron.

If you want mics, you can buy SM58's new for a hundred bucks. You can buy used for less of course. However, used 58's might not look all that great but should still sound OK. Really, a 58 is about as low as I would go with quality wise. You really can't beat it for the price. Are you going to be micing the drum kit? Do you need a snake? I would say just buy some 58's and go from there.

Craigslist?

Have you checked craigslist? You can search a few cities. I have seen quite a few DJs and/or bands clearing out their gear on Craigslist. Look in musical instruments or electronics.

Also, you might consider Shure PG48 or PG58 mics. They include a 15' XLR to XLR or XLR to 1/4" cable, bag and mic clip. Not the greatest mics, but good starters.

South Dakota has plenty of Pawn Shops. Maybe you can visit and see if you have something to trade.

Good luck!

My opinion about running sound is "EQ is everything". If you can't control the tone and feedback then you don't have a "Sound". You can make a questionable sound system sound pretty good if you EQ it correctly. Of course you would need to know how to adjust the Equalizer properly. But if you have an Equalizer you can experiment for days and figure it out fairly decently. get an Equalizer and learn how to use it!

My opinion about running sound is "EQ is everything". If you can't control the tone and feedback then you don't have a "Sound". You can make a questionable sound system sound pretty good if you EQ it correctly. Of course you would need to know how to adjust the Equalizer properly. But if you have an Equalizer you can experiment for days and figure it out fairly decently. get an Equalizer and learn how to use it!

You can also control sound through mixing a three band equilizer is really all you should need unless you plan on running up volumes really high and have alot of reflective surfaces or you placed your speakers really badly. So really at least where we would setup and play an equilizer is more of a bonus feature than a required although your concern is warrented if we were in a larger hall or a very reflective space.

Also i was looking at the Shure SM's how well do they respond to amplifier micing?

For your price range, the SM58 would likely be your best bet. they're solid. I've watched a guy use one as a hammer to push in a nail on his amp and proceed to plug it in and sound check. Sounded just as good as before. (not recomended btw) But, I wanted to throw in a mention of the two Audix mics i've used, The OM3 and OM7. Dynamic Microphones: Dynamic Vocal Mics & Professional Audix Microphones
They're more expensive than the 58, but sound great and are very reliable. Good for rock and heavier music.

On the condenser side, I love the AKG 535. It's a beautiful sounding mic that I will swear by for vocalists with the best voices.

My friend (an accoustician) recommends a Behringer Xenyx board for low cost, or for a little more you could even look at Yamaha. They make some good stuff too.

I totally hear you about the college student thing. I'm a college student working on 10 hours a week trying to build up a video production and lighting design inventory. Not fun.

Thats all for now.

For your price range, the SM58 would likely be your best bet. they're solid. I've watched a guy use one as a hammer to push in a nail on his amp and proceed to plug it in and sound check. Sounded just as good as before. (not recomended btw) But, I wanted to throw in a mention of the two Audix mics i've used, The OM3 and OM7. Dynamic Microphones: Dynamic Vocal Mics & Professional Audix Microphones
They're more expensive than the 58, but sound great and are very reliable. Good for rock and heavier music.

On the condenser side, I love the AKG 535. It's a beautiful sounding mic that I will swear by for vocalists with the best voices.

My friend (an accoustician) recommends a Behringer Xenyx board for low cost, or for a little more you could even look at Yamaha. They make some good stuff too.

I totally hear you about the college student thing. I'm a college student working on 10 hours a week trying to build up a video production and lighting design inventory. Not fun.

Thats all for now.

That sound great, I think I'll end up purchasing some used SM58's and SM48's? (those are the more inclined for micing instruments correct?)

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but if you have up to 3 vocalists, there're always good deals on Ebay for Sennheiser E835 3-packs. That'd be a good starting place for vocal mics. They're very nice mics for the money, rugged and resistant to feedback. They're the SM58 of Sennheiser's line (but no where near as legendary, of course, Senni's legendary lies in the 421).

Also, it's the SM57 that's Shure's more instrument-inclined mic. I'd recommend the Audix I5 over that if you're buying new, though.

As far as mixers go, save up for a used 01V with ADAT card and get a Behringer ADA8000. Eliminates the need for external dynamics and effects processors and makes for a great compact rig. 01Vs last absolutely forever. The first thing to go is usually the fader motors, so if you by used make sure the fader board is in excellent working condition. This is often the case though with good used units.

You can also control sound through mixing a three band equilizer is really all you should need unless you plan on running up volumes really high and have alot of reflective surfaces or you placed your speakers really badl

Yes the 3 band EQs that are on most sound consoles are usually fine for the needed tone adjustmants that are need with a small sound gig. But they don't affect the monitors which are usually the biggest problem when using Sound Reinforcement. I'm still sticking with my statement that EQ is Everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back