a lot of par 20s

ok so I will me on a gig where we will have over 1700 par 20 with 100watt bulbs. surprisingly this will be my first time dealing with these small fixtures let alone this many of them. my question is what will be most likely way that these will be powered? I know they are powered by an edison but I don't think it would be practical to have them on a edison breakout with a twofer only powering 12 lights per socapex since they don't draw that much power individually, even if you put a twofer on a twofer I think that's going to be a bit much. is there something I'm unaware of? I really don't know what to expect when I go, that's why I'm asking you guys if there's a universal method when doing this many low power lights

ok so I will me on a gig where we will have over 1700 par 20 with 100watt bulbs. surprisingly this will be my first time dealing with these small fixtures let alone this many of them. my question is what will be most likely way that these will be powered? I know they are powered by an edison but I don't think it would be practical to have them on a edison breakout with a twofer only powering 12 lights per socapex since they don't draw that much power individually, even if you put a twofer on a twofer I think that's going to be a bit much. is there something I'm unaware of? I really don't know what to expect when I go, that's why I'm asking you guys if there's a universal method when doing this many low power lights

When dealing with these guys "En Masse" we often use Wire Nuts and lamp cord to "circuit" them... That being said, I'm working in a theatrical install environment, where these guys stay put for months on end... And I have days to pre-wire...

I hope someone called the supply house for a metric boatload of cube taps.......

I was thinking the cables with molded plugs every few feet but I couldn't find a link.

Ok, I have a bad headache this morning so don't yell if I'm missing something here- 1700 100 watt lamps??? That comes out to 170kw !! The draw on that would be over 1,400 amps!

Going to need more then just wirenuts....

the lights wont be on truss, they are for a bunch of halloween walk through mazes where they will be dimly lit and people in costumes jump out and scare you, from what i hear the lights will be all over from floor/wall/ceiling,

the lights wont be on truss, they are for a bunch of halloween walk through mazes where they will be dimly lit and people in costumes jump out and scare you, from what i hear the lights will be all over from floor/wall/ceiling,

Will they be there for a while?

I can see wiring a corn maze or something with that many lights... You will, however, be needing a VERY large power drop.

I wouldn't worry about how they're getting power. Whoever designed this surely figured out how power is getting to the lamps. If you are providing some equipment, I would assume the designer has sent you an equipment rider. Should be pretty tedious to set up, either way.

1700? Well, irrelevant of the number, if they are only going to be on at a dim setting, there is a way to radically reduce the power demand and also avoid a bunch of dimmer racks.

Take two or three of them and wire them in series. (Effectively running them at 1/2 to 1/3 their normal voltage.) Still too bright? Try four! In any case, two or three in series will draw a heck of a lot less power than 100 watts, and nowhere nears 200 to 300. Once you find the brightness you want, you will need to group them all in sets.

i did something similar once with a couple hundred fixtures in a walk through art gallery / museum environment. Used a TON of cube taps and 6 and 12ft black molded extension cords. That was when pacific electricord was still around and we cleaned them out of all their black molded extension cords.

is this for knotts or universal?

I would be surprised if it's knotts or universal. I've got a lot of experience with cedar fair's running of these events and this doesn't sound like them. Plus setup is handled through their regular live e crew/ pseudo "haunt" department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back