Adding Hang position between catwalks - Cheeseboroughs enough?

As usual, I take off for a couple days and miss all the fun. I think the hive mind has this well covered.

@BillConnerFASTC Label the position with it’s capacity. Laminated signage can be DIY, and will help reduce (not eliminate) the chance of overloading by someone who is ill informed.

Adding signage to warn of a hazard is essentially admitting that you didn't mitigate the problem. (Kind of a cynical view, but they have a point.) I still like signs, even if nobody reads them.

There has been much discussion on the 12 foot pipe. I would like to mention the importance of rated method of attachment. There are a lot of Chinese scaffold burgers out there that are great for attaching cross bracing for scaffold but I would be concerned to use in this configuration. One might consider the rated capacity on the end points. As well as the pro and cons of each type. Grid locks are great things but they take a little more time to install and they will extend on to the catwalk a little. rated Cheeseboroughs are faster to install but have that bolt sticking up to catch things on. Roto Locks are clean and easy to install, as are speedrail clamps. One other thought to throw out is consider adding a few cable carriers on top, if these positions will have the lights changed often it may speed up the cabling part of the rig.

Adding signage to warn of a hazard is essentially admitting that you didn't mitigate the problem. (Kind of a cynical view, but they have a point.) I still like signs, even if nobody reads them.
I think this signage is more for the next regime than current. On the other hand, a loft block beam can't be designed for infinite load. Posting the design load is simply informing users of the design decision, and isn't necessarily a problem at all. If the design load isn't posted,bhow is the second or third or after TD going to know if he can hang an abnormally heavy piece of scenery?

One last point to consider;
How motion stable are the catwalks? By tying two separate catwalks together there could be some horizontal structural forces at play that may dwarf the general loading concerns or the limits of the clamps. What may be an unnoticeable location change that occurs when the building heats up or cools down may exert unexpected stress loads once the two points are firmly tied together. There should be some way to allow for minor horizontal slippage.

One last point to consider;
How motion stable are the catwalks? By tying two separate catwalks together there could be some horizontal structural forces at play that may dwarf the general loading concerns or the limits of the clamps. What may be an unnoticeable location change that occurs when the building heats up or cools down may exert unexpected stress loads once the two points are firmly tied together. There should be some way to allow for minor horizontal slippage.
I've been on some of those catwalks that "wave" a little. I recall one that nearly a foot when activated - but it was 20'+ below roof. Which is why I'd like the added pipe on top, not under, the attachment, and run a wire rope through the pipe so it would hang there like a trapeze bar if the connections failed.

I've been on some of those catwalks that "wave" a little. I recall one that nearly a foot when activated - but it was 20'+ below roof. Which is why I'd like the added pipe on top, not under, the attachment, and run a wire rope through the pipe so it would hang there like a trapeze bar if the connections failed.
Yes, running a safety through the pipe is a great idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back